Feedback on wheel brands...?

(To preface, moderator u/sm1ke and I were chatting in another thread and decided to move it over here and create a new one! I am trying to narrow down my list of 'top choices' for the 2021 CX-5 signature I am ordering, but I know little about wheels so have been reading and trying to learn. Thanks for you help and patience! Now, to the message slid over from the previous thread...)

... Are Avant Garde significantly better wheels than Niche?

Last edited:
I don't know if I'd say they're significantly better. Both brands are well established, with Niche having been around longer (I think). I'd have no issues buying from either of them, assuming all things equal (price, load capacity, weight, etc.).

I don't know if I'd say they're significantly better. Both brands are well established, with Niche having been around longer (I think). I'd have no issues buying from either of them, assuming all things equal (price, load capacity, weight, etc.).
I am pretty new to the wheels game and have been doing a whole lot of research trying to learn before I pull the trigger on something for my CX5, but I'm curious how you and other enthusiasts would rank these brands in terms of quality and durability (leaving price or personal taste/style preferences out of it):

1. BBS
2. Enkei
3. Ace Alloy
4. Avant Garde
5. Petrol
6. TSW
7. Lexani

That is my hypothesized order, with BBS being the highest quality/most durable down to Lexani being the least out of those, but would anyone argue differently on this order?

It sounds like maybe unforged Vossens, VMR, and Niche can be a bit more hit and miss? Though I totally recognize that one person with a bad experience with a wheel/brand can quickly dominate a forum and really make the reviews on those rise to the top (bottom? lol) of Google.

(PS: Let me know if this fits better in another thread, or a new one in "CX-5 Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension" -- don't want to annoy anyone here if it's not a good fit. *this is where moderator u/sm1ke moved it to the current thread :))

Last edited:
I am pretty new to the wheels game and have been doing a whole lot of research trying to learn before I pull the trigger on something for my CX5, but I'm curious how you and other enthusiasts would rank these brands in terms of quality and durability (leaving price or personal taste/style preferences out of it):

1. BBS
2. Enkei
3. Ace Alloy
4. Avant Garde
5. Petrol
6. TSW
7. Lexani

That is my hypothesized order, with BBS being the highest quality/most durable down to Lexani being the least out of those, but would anyone argue differently on this order?

It sounds like maybe unforged Vossens, VMR, and Niche can be a bit more hit and miss? Though I totally recognize that one person with a bad experience with a wheel/brand can quickly dominate a forum and really make the reviews on those rise to the top (bottom? lol) of Google.

PS: Let me know if this fits better in another thread, or a new one in "CX-5 Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension" -- don't want to annoy anyone here if it's not a good fit.

I agree with the way you've ordered them, though I personally would put TSW above Petrol, maybe even above Avant Garde. I have a set of Vossen "Hybrid Forged" wheels and I'd probably have them tied for second with Enkei on your list (but that's just my opinion).

Also, good call on creating a new thread. I'll move everything over for you.

Thanks again for sliding this over! Appreciate it. Okay, can I ask where you (or anyone else) would put the following other brands on this hypothetical 'quality/durability' list? I like in Northern Canada, so while they would only be summer wheels I imagine (?), we are a HAVEN for nasty potholes and they can't always be avoided if you're on a single lane road. I also just don't want to have to drive in fear of bending a more delicate rim all the time, period--sometimes peace of mind is worth more than looks, to me at least. :)

- Forgestar
- Konig
- Lorenzo
- Verde
- OE Wheels
- Art Replica

I am of the opinion that pretty much any wheel is susceptible to minor bends at the lip (meaning very very slight bends that are almost invisible). That said, I personally believe that wheel spoke design is also a factor when it comes to how a wheel holds up when it hits a pothole. For example, I think a wheel design like the Niche Form, Ace Alloy Devotion, or Vossen VFS-2 would be a little more durable than a TSW Molteno because if you hit the sharp edge of a pothole right in the center of the space between two of the spokes, there is less support from the spokes there.

Niche Form
Niche_Form_Charcoal_20x10_A1-500.png

TSW Molteno
alloys-wheels-rims-tsw-molteno-matte-black-20x10-std-700.jpg

With that said, it could also depend on the lip/barrel design, as in comparing the two above, I see that the Niche wheel has a "flat" barrel while the TSW has an inner "lip" that might act as a support.

If durability is the concern, I'd go with a brand that offers a good warranty.

Thanks again for sliding this over! Appreciate it. Okay, can I ask where you (or anyone else) would put the following other brands on this hypothetical 'quality/durability' list? I like in Northern Canada, so while they would only be summer wheels I imagine (?), we are a HAVEN for nasty potholes and they can't always be avoided if you're on a single lane road. I also just don't want to have to drive in fear of bending a more delicate rim all the time, period--sometimes peace of mind is worth more than looks, to me at least. :)

- Forgestar
- Konig
- Lorenzo
- Verde
- OE Wheels
- Art Replica
I've had some Konig's on my Rav4 for about 75k miles and 5 or 6 years. I think they've been fine. I know 1 came slightly dented on the lip so I made them find a new one. I use them in summer only. They're 17's with 225/65/17 tires on them so they aren't low profile and do have some tire to protect the wheels.

I’ve had BBS, Enkei and TSW wheels. Based on my experience I agree with the OP’s ranking of those three. The TSW wheels were not a bad product at all, just not quite as nice as the other two. All gave equally good service.

All helpful responses, thanks. I think I have my choices narrowed down to what I'd "love" -- with that word in quotations because price and availability (I am in Canada) will ultimately force my hand a bit. That said, before I ask your opinion on my top 5s, can I ask:
  • I've read some people say that they would only buy wheels that are made to the OEM center bore specs (i.e., 67.1mm in the 2021 CX-5, I believe) for strength, safety, and integrity.

• Then I've heard others who say it doesn't matter as long as they're within XX mm of OEM specs, or that it doesn't matter at all because of adaptations that can be made (spacers? Sorry, again, super new to this and learning!). I guess, what is your take on center bore size and aftermarket wheels, perhaps keeping in mind that they will be summer wheels but on potentially quite rough roads?
Thanks again for all the help!

I am of the opinion that pretty much any wheel is susceptible to minor bends at the lip (meaning very very slight bends that are almost invisible). That said, I personally believe that wheel spoke design is also a factor when it comes to how a wheel holds up when it hits a pothole. For example, I think a wheel design like the Niche Form, Ace Alloy Devotion, or Vossen VFS-2 would be a little more durable than a TSW Molteno because if you hit the sharp edge of a pothole right in the center of the space between two of the spokes, there is less support from the spokes there.

Niche Form
Niche_Form_Charcoal_20x10_A1-500.png

TSW Molteno
alloys-wheels-rims-tsw-molteno-matte-black-20x10-std-700.jpg

With that said, it could also depend on the lip/barrel design, as in comparing the two above, I see that the Niche wheel has a "flat" barrel while the TSW has an inner "lip" that might act as a support.

If durability is the concern, I'd go with a brand that offers a good warranty.
Good info, as I see what you mean, but I may have thought the 5-spoke (Molteno) was stronger prior to this convo because the spokes look so much more substantial -- like breaking a toothpick vs. a chopstick, but I guess we are talking about the lip bending, not the spokes themselves breaking?

Good info, as I see what you mean, but I may have thought the 5-spoke (Molteno) was stronger prior to this convo because the spokes look so much more substantial -- like breaking a toothpick vs. a chopstick, but I guess we are talking about the lip bending, not the spokes themselves breaking?

Yeah I was talking about the lip bending mostly. Personally I've never seen a wheel spoke crack due to a pothole. The few times I've seen that happen, it was due to lateral impact, like sliding into a curb. Not to say that it can't happen via pothole, I just haven't seen it (yet).

Back