Extreme high idle (3000 rpm) on cold start - driving me nuts!

melsman

:
2003 Protege5
UPDATE ***

Replaced the "new" IAC with a genuine Mazda IAC (part #FSN5-20-660B) and the car now idles just as it is supposed to in all phases. No more racing to 3000 rpm! Car now runs great! Just goes to show you that some aftermarket parts, though they say they are OEM replacements (and even claim the same FSN5-20-660B part number), are not really true OEM replacements. For more details, go to my third post below.

Unfortunately, this was not the end of the problem for very long. There was more waiting around the corner... And at the end of the day, I found that I had unknowingly caused the high idle. Here's the discussion about that.

Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster...

My daughter's 2003 Protege5 starts and revs immediately to 3000 rpm and holds there for about 15 seconds, and then gradually drops to normal idle (700-800 RPM). It only occurs on a cold start. If there's any heat on the engine, it starts and idles normally. Road performance is fine. The IAC is brand new, I find no vacuum leaks, and the computer has been reset properly. No codes or CEL's. But this is just the latest in a series of issues that I've addressed. And I'm about ready to pull my hair out...

The Saga Begins

We bought this P5 used from a dealer many miles from us. On the drive home, she started having engine cut-out and stumbling with a CEL code P0300 (random misfire). After some fits and starts (and reading a lot of posts here on this forum), I realized that it was probably a bad coil and replaced them both. Problem solved. But as part of this process, I bought an EGR valve to install (since that might have also been a contributor), and since I had it, I decided to install it, as well as change the oil and filter, flush the radiator, tranny fluid, replace the thermostat, radiator cap, and other odds and ends that need to be replaced on an 11 year old car with 80,000 miles so that it is a reliable machine for my daughter to drive.

Coincidentally, while reading through different topics on this forum, I stumbled across the VICS butterfly valve failure issue on 2003 Protege5's. Since I have some experience repairing cars (though not a professional mechanic), pulling the manifold and checking the valves seemed pretty straight forward (again, using info from this forum), so I figured I'd pull it, inspect the VICS and VTCS valves, replace the gaskets in the intake system, replace the EGR, and everything would be lovely. I was wrong...

Removing the manifold was more of a PITA than I thought it would be, but I got it apart and found the resonance chamber filled with oil sludge from an PCV failure in a prior ownership. (The VICS and VTCS valves were in good shape, albeit covered with oily sludge.) So, we cleaned that up, put new gaskets on everything, installed the EGR (with new gasket), sealed it all back up, and started it.

Now a new problem arose. The idle was erratic. It would fluctuate and drop to 500, hold there for a few seconds, vibrate the hell out of everything, and then come up to normal. I reset the computer according to the manual, but the problem remained. It would do this "drop and rattle" frequently before and after warm-up, such that every time you came to a stop while on the road, it would idle so low that you hoped it wouldn't die. But after a few shaky moments on the edge, it would come back up. Otherwise, road performance was fine. So, more research here on this forum indicated that it might be a bad/dirty IAC. So, I bought an aftermarket IAC (and gasket) and a MAF (since I was there anyway) and installed them. (Those IAC screws are a bear...)

Now, I had a screaming new problem - On start, the engine raced to 3000 rpm, holds there for about 15 seconds, and then drops into normal cold idle limits. It only does this on a dead cold start. If there's any heat on the engine, it starts and idles normally. Yes, I've checked for vacuum leaks and reset the computer according to the shop manual, and all other parameters are normal - and no codes or CELs. Everything works like it's supposed to except for that screaming start!

I can't find anyone else with this kind of issue or any posts addressing such an extreme high idle on cold start. After studying how this particular IAC gets control pulses from the PCM at start up (rather than relying on a thermowax bead), I'm beginning to believe that my new aftermarket IAC may in fact be bad. I ruled out coolant temp sensor since I can't imagine a temperature situation - even an erroneous one - where the PCM would tell the IAC to idle the engine at 3000 rpm. (BTW - our ambient temperatures have been around 70 on cold starts.) And if it was a bad PCM, I would think that it would have other issues other than a high cold start idle. But, before I buy another IAC, I wanted to throw this out to you guys to see if you had an idea of what it could be.

Please help while I still have some hair left.

Melsman

Last edited:
I have the same issue - except it jumps to about 2000-25000rpm and then drops to 700-800rpm as it warms up. Doesn't really bother me too much - if I push on the gas for a second it helps stabilize to 700-800rpm quicker.

well seeing how you didnt have this problem before you changed the IAC and did right after you swapped it I would believe it to be the culprit, if you still have the old IAC I would reinstall it and see how it acts, as far as your jumpy idle, when you changed the EGR did you also clean out the ports in the intake manifold that lead to the EGR, if you didnt you may want to look at this video for reference

,... The idle was erratic. It would fluctuate and drop to 500, hold there for a few seconds, vibrate the hell out of everything, and then come up to normal. I reset the computer according to the manual, but the problem remained.

,... On start, the engine raced to 3000 rpm, holds there for about 15 seconds, and then drops into normal cold idle limits.

I can't find anyone else with this kind of issue or any posts addressing such an extreme high idle on cold start.

Did you drive the car for 100 miles to allow the ECU to adjust itself ??

My car runs glass smooth but if I reset my computer (disconnect the battery) it idles like complete crap until it relearns itself,..

I'm not sure about my car hitting 3000 rpm on a cold start but I'm thinking your car may be working on getting used to the new IAC and adjusting for it.

It may need a bunch of cold starts to set the computer as well as a bunch of attempts at stabilizing the idle.

First of all, thank you for the replies! I appreciate it.

@pcb - Yes; We ran it for 100+ miles over a couple of weeks and still the same issue. I also reset (again) using the prescribed PCM reset method from the shop manual. Everything works great... except for this dang 3000 rpm thing. Originally, my discussions with my lead mechanic followed the same, "it's probably learning about the new IAC" idea, but it just hasn't cleaned itself up.

@inside - I tried bumping the throttle to try to get it to stabilize. I've tried stopping and starting it during this process. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to change or abbreviate the process at all. Still goes to 3000 and holds for 15-30 seconds.

@fresco - Stupidly, I threw away the old IAC (but kept the old MAF), not dreaming that a new part would be a problem. But I should've known better - "Keep the old parts until you verify that the new parts work!" (And thanks for the video. I actually used that video as part of my manifold/EGR disassembly/assembly process.) So, I've come to a point where I have to believe that the new IAC is faulty. I've ordered a new-in-package, genuine Mazda IAC (FSN5-20-660B) to replace this current IAC. I'll report back on how things turn out.

Thanks again, guys.

Melsman

Last edited:
First of all, thank you for the replies! I appreciate it.

@pcb - Yes; We ran it for 100+ miles over a couple of weeks and still the same issue. I also reset (again) using the prescribed PCM reset method from the shop manual. Everything works great... except for this dang 3000 rpm thing. Originally, my discussions with my lead mechanic followed the same, "it's probably learning about the new IAC" idea, but it just hasn't cleaned itself up.

@inside - I tried bumping the throttle to try to get it to stabilize. I've tried stopping and starting it during this process. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to change or abbreviate the process at all. Still goes to 3000 and holds for 15-30 seconds.

@fresco - Stupidly, I threw away the old IAC (but kept the old MAF), not dreaming that a new part would be a problem. But I should've known better - "Keep the old parts until you verify that the new parts work!" (And thanks for the video. I actually used that video as part of my manifold/EGR disassembly/assembly process.) So, I've come to a point where I have to believe that the new IAC is faulty. I've ordered a new-in-package, genuine Mazda IAC (FSN5-20-660B) to replace this current IAC. I'll report back on how things turn out.

Thanks again, guys.

Melsman

unfortunately like you I've learned somethings on this car have to be replaced only with OEM

Problem Solved!!! - Bad "new aftermarket" Idle Air Control valve (IAC)

We replaced the "new" aftermarket IAC with a genuine Mazda IAC (FSN5-20-660B) and the problem has been solved. In fact, the car runs very smoothly in all aspects now.

When I pulled the the aftermarket IAC and compared it to the Mazda IAC, I noticed that the plunger was shaped differently; more of a blunted curve on the nose, whereas the Mazda part plunger was more tapered. This makes sense since a blunt nose would allow more air through the valve given the same movement of the plunger. It would also give more abrupt deceleration, which is something we had also experienced. Thus, even though the aftermarket part was marketed using the same part number - FSN5-20-660B - it obviously is a slightly different design; and that made all of the difference.

Now, the genuine Mazda IAC is usually extremely expensive - between $250 ~ $450. However, I found a vendor on eBay selling them for $80 & free shipping. The vendor is powerxparts2 and they still have more available at that price. If you think you're going to be replacing your IAC anytime soon, $80 is a heck of a deal!

Glad you found your problem, like I said sometimes OEM is the only thing this car likes with certain sensors, I had the same problem but with my ignition coils

Back