Exploding Sun Roof on 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring

I have communicated repeatedly with Mazda USA and my local Mazda dealer, all to no avail. Not only does Mazda refuse to accept responsibility for the defective sunroof, they also refuse to even reply to my messages.

It's as if communicating with Mazda USA is a black hole into which our messages enter, never to be seen (or heard from) again.

Shame on Mazda!

Fortunately, my auto insurance company covered the damage repair. But, I don't know what my claim will do to my annual insurance premium.

Be assured that I have filed a complaint against Mazda with the NHTSA.

usually glass coverage doesnt go to CLAIMS. So I would guess you should be ok. May be not receive discounts for some time on renewal quotes from this insurance company, but rates usually don't increase for glass changes (assuming you dont crash the car yourself which is not the case here)

With glass its pita to prove if it was a defect that caused it. Enjoy the car and hopefully it never happens again.

I've had a few windshields replaced over the years and not one was covered. Let's face it, if someone threw a rock at your car from an overpass, causing your sunroof to explode, that wouldn't be your or Mazda's fault. Trying to prove it is their fault when it comes to glass is never easy.
And cz5gt is correct that insurance companies rarely would blame the driver for glass damage unless it were caused by an accident that was in fact, the driver's fault.

I have communicated repeatedly with Mazda USA and my local Mazda dealer, all to no avail. Not only does Mazda refuse to accept responsibility for the defective sunroof, they also refuse to even reply to my messages.

It's as if communicating with Mazda USA is a black hole into which our messages enter, never to be seen (or heard from) again.

Shame on Mazda!

Fortunately, my auto insurance company covered the damage repair. But, I don't know what my claim will do to my annual insurance premium.

Be assured that I have filed a complaint against Mazda with the NHTSA.

Don't forget that you can also file a complaint with the BBB, if you choose to.

This topic led me to look into "Rupert's drop". Very interesting. I have engineering background, and I never learned about this before in schools.
Look up youTube videos if you, like me, never heard of it before. :)

This topic led me to look into "Rupert's drop". Very interesting. I have engineering background, and I never learned about this before in schools.
Look up youTube videos if you, like me, never heard of it before. :)
Have seen the volcanic glass version of these while exploring in Hawaii. Cool stuff.

Back