2017~2024 EPB issue

:
Cx5
Hello all. I have a 2017 AWD GT.

I have had the EPB go into maintenance mode randomly when starting the car. I have gone thru trying to get it out of maintenance mode, but it takes 5-7 attempts. This random issue has happened 3-4 times in the last 2 weeks. Currently, it will not come out of maintenance mode. The car is braking without any issues.

I have no trouble codes On my OBD scanner and have disconnected the battery to try and reset, but the car will not come out of maintenance mode.

Any ideas? Or is a trip to the dealer needed?

thanks in advance

Hello all. I have a 2017 AWD GT.

I have had the EPB go into maintenance mode randomly when starting the car. I have gone thru trying to get it out of maintenance mode, but it takes 5-7 attempts. This random issue has happened 3-4 times in the last 2 weeks. Currently, it will not come out of maintenance mode. The car is braking without any issues.

I have no trouble codes On my OBD scanner and have disconnected the battery to try and reset, but the car will not come out of maintenance mode.

Any ideas? Or is a trip to the dealer needed?

thanks in advance
Just want to clarify, are you sure your CX-5’s EPB goes into the Maintenance Mode randomly by itself? Which warning light do you have lit up?

When the EPB goes into Maintenance Mode, an Electric Parking Brake Warning indicator, the yellow parking brake with exclamation point, lights up.

4A55B06E-CB2D-4636-8024-7464213FEFDB.jpeg

If that is indeed the case, you may have to go to a Mazda dealer to diagnose the problem. Standard OBD scanner may not be able to get the error code out of the EPB control module. My guess is if the EPB goes into the Maintenance Mode by itself without any other brake warning lights on or flashing, you may need a new EPB control module.

Thank you. That’s what the dash light look like. Is the control module the part on the brake caliper? Or is it somewhere else in the car?

Thank you. That’s what the dash light look like. Is the control module the part on the brake caliper? Or is it somewhere else in the car?
No, the EPB control module is not a part of rear disk caliper. Not sure where is it exactly located, but here’s an earlier TSB for the same issue but at the time Mazda was trying to use software to fix the problem by replacing EPB control module with revised firmware. The TSB has a drawing of the EPB control module location but it’s not clear to me, and the part number for EPB control module.

TSB 04-005/16 Noise from Rear Brakes Due To Brake Drag

If you still have new-car warranty, definitely take your CX-5 to Mazda dealer to diagnose as they have proper Mazda computer to read the error codes out of the EPB control module.

Back