Engine Warmup

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
When I start my Signature turbo the engine runs at a higher rpm than idle for about a minute then drops to idle. Should I wait for it to go to normal idle before taking off or doesn't matter?

Yup, I wait as well. Avoids the “bang” into gear and it takes about the same time for the infotainment to boot up.

In most moderate climates 40F+ (4C for the metric folks) - modern engines need little or none additional wait time until ready to go from start. I am with @Gozo & @dunhillmc by the time I have put the seat belt on, plugged in the phone, waited for the infotainment to boot, checked the mirror it is time to go and that is plenty of time. By the first stop sign the car is idling as it should.

Thanks all. I notice that if I don't wait and go ahead and back out of my parking area then stop and get out to close the gate it will continue to fast idle until it's ready and slows to idle.

I wait a few seconds for the RPM's to drop before backing out of my garage.Then I drive like a grandma for about a mile until I reach the highway. At that point the temp gauge needle has moved up to around 180 degrees or so and the transmission and other drivetrain components have also warmed up a bit. Some believe that you should sit in your driveway for a couple of minutes while the engine idles and warms up, but that does nothing for the other components. It's OK to drive, just take it easy for a mile or so.

I also "wait" for the idle to settle. Get in, start the car, belt up, check mirrors, adjust HVAC/seat heaters, adjust radio/pick song. Takes less than 30 seconds, and by then the idle has settled.

On the other hand, my wife's always done the "start it and go" in her 2006 Civic, even in the dead of winter (-35c). She bought it new. Every time she does this, the auto transmission bangs into Drive. 14 years later, the drivetrain is perfectly fine. Maybe her car is the exception - all I know is that I would never do that in any of my cars lol.

I timed it: 45 seconds so not difficult to wait for.

When I start my Signature turbo the engine runs at a higher rpm than idle for about a minute then drops to idle. Should I wait for it to go to normal idle before taking off or doesn't matter?

Definitely.

The other thing you need to be aware of, it is actually in the manual for the Signature model (I own one too), that if you are doing lots of short-stops and lots of highway driving, its recommended that after you put the car in park, you wait 30 seconds for the oil to cool the turbo down. It will help with the life of the turbo.

I just do it after every stop now. I just stop, count to 30 while I gather all my stuff, and then shut 'er down.

I back mine out of the garage immediately, but it always slows down before I'm completely ready to go. I don't use the gas pedal for this. Maybe it's designed to feed itself just the right amount of gas during this warmup phase.

I think the manual says to wait 10 seconds That's about how long it takes to slow down so maybe that's what they are referring to.

I wait for the idle to drop. It's not a long wait. I also accelerate slowly until it reaches NOT which can take up to 5 miles.

Take your time.

I have a ScanGauge. It can display coolant temp and trans fluid temp. itakes about 5 to 5.5 miles for the coolant to get to 185 ℉. It takes another 20 miles for the trans to get to 185 ℉. Don't rush.

Back