Engine issue with following message - "low oil pressure, possible engine damage, check engine oil"

Hi

I've got a Mazda 6, 2013, 2.2 Skyactive, done 83K on the clock, I was driving home and had a warning saying "low oil pressure, possible engine damage, check engine oil" the engine cut off and had to pull to the side of the road. Minutes later, I started the car, same warning but car was running, drove home quarter of a mile away, now car in the Mazda garage and waiting for results from diagnostic. Has anyone else had this problem and what was the fix was recommended.

Obviously stressful as don't want a large bill and engine damage to the car

Last edited:
I think we'll need more info. What year is you car? Is it still under warranty?

It will be difficult to diagnose the issue with limited information. Did you check the engine oil dipstick to see if it was low on oil? Anything leaking from the underside of the car? Do you have any tools that would allow you to pull codes from the OBDII system?

First thing I'd check is what the warnings say, "check engine oil".

First thing to do when you get a warning like this is to check engine oil level. If you safely can, pull over and shut down immediately after you get the warning and don’t restart the engine if the oil level is showing low on the dipstick.

If you simply ran the car so low on oil that is started losing oil pressure, you may have damaged the engine to the point where is requires overhaul/replacement. (The most cost effective thing to do in this situation is to swap in a used engine from a car that has been totaled in an accident.) But it’s also possible the engine tolerated the episode well enough that you simply top off the oil and continue driving, fingers crossed.

It could also be a bad oil pump or even a minor sensor issue. Let’s hope for this.

Even brand new cars require periodic monitoring of oil level! It’s in the OM.

- Mark

I think we'll need more info. What year is you car? Is it still under warranty?

It will be difficult to diagnose the issue with limited information. Did you check the engine oil dipstick to see if it was low on oil? Anything leaking from the underside of the car? Do you have any tools that would allow you to pull codes from the OBDII system?

First thing I'd check is what the warnings say, "check engine oil".
Its a Mazda 6, 2.2 skyactive diesel, 2013, not got warranty.

I checked the dipstick, it was above the X, no oil leak on the underside of the car. UNfor

Further update:

I've got the results back from the diagnostic and had the following from the report:

"oil pressure light comes on when warm says not been serviced recently
carried out self test p0524/p055f recorded oil pressure too low/oil dilution high
suspect oil strainer blocked caused by carbon deposits in cylinder head"

They are charging £1400 for parts and labor from the dealer, obviously devastated with such a high price tag, thinking of taking it to an independent garage to get a second opinion, anyone had any similar?

I've spoken to a few mechanics and they say they will clear out the carbon build up, change the oil and install an oil filter.

Back