Engine braking while coasting

:
2019 CX5 Touring/Preferred Pkg
Has anyone noticed the excessive amount of engine braking or “more than normal” amount of braking when coasting? Some auto transmissions cars that I’ve drove coasting without any engine braking sensation and can keep some of the speed but feels like the CX5 brakes a bit more. If I put the gear in neutral, it’ll coast more freely and hold some speed until I get to a light or stop sign but while in Drive, it feels like there is more than usual braking going on.

The skyactiv-G 2.5 engine has a 13.0:1 compression ratio. Likely a bit higher than those other cars you have driven. I suspect that may be the difference to what you feel.

I don’t think it’s excessive, or particularly more than other cars. I actually wish it would do more engine braking when downshifting in manual mode. My 2010 Mazda 3 (which the CX-5 replaced) had pretty significant engine braking in that scenario. It was kind of fun to see how long I could stay off the brake pedal sometimes. In manual mode, I think the CX-5 prioritizes keeping the revs up (when you downshift) in case you want to accelerate, rather than having the engine drop revs to help slow down the car.

Last edited:
Definitely more than Toyota / Honda. It will downshift at specif speeds - if you slow down below 45 it will shift from 6th to 5th, similarly at 30mph it will go from 5th to 4th. Takes some time - you cannot override this even with manual shifter, afaik - it will shift down. Toyotas be in highest gear all the time and cruise for long.

yeah, to much engine braking for me.... I complained about it
in this forum before, and best advice was to put it in neutral....
still wish I've noticed before buying ... one of the things that
is a negative for me with the cx5...

Also , mine really does it going from 20mph to 10mph.. then
something releases and from 10mph to 0 it'll coast normally...

I don't get this. I would appreciate more engine braking when going down long down hill stretches. Then again I've been accustomed to standard shift cars until now.

Last edited:
All entirely normal. The Mazda is tuned for responsiveness and a sporty feeling. It *does* behave a little like I would when driving my MT Miata.

You could take control and select the gear you want to be in.

You missed a lot never learning how to drive a real car.

I've owned Toyota Priuses and Camry hybrids, and my 2014 and now 2020 CX-5s both engine brake much more... I found that odd, given the hybrids were using engine braking for regeneration. Still haven't quite gotten used to it...it feels like I'm wasting gas.

I don't get this. I would appreciate more engine braking when going down long down hill stretches. Then again I've been accustomed to standard shift cars until now.

My feeling exactly. The first time I drove the CX-5, I was very surprised at how little engine braking it has coming off passes. Our old Subaru would hold a reasonable speed without brakes by just dropping one gear. Our BMW X5 was the same way. I would usually only need to put it in sport mode, or maybe drop one gear if the grade was more than 6%. With the CX 5, I have to drop at least two gears to be able to stay off the brakes.

I try to descend passes with as little braking as possible. Every summer a few hapless drivers end up with their cars on fire at the bottom of Colorado passes. Love the car, but for the compression rating, it sure doesn’t engine brake.

I've owned Toyota Priuses and Camry hybrids, and my 2014 and now 2020 CX-5s both engine brake much more... I found that odd, given the hybrids were using engine braking for regeneration. Still haven't quite gotten used to it...it feels like I'm wasting gas.
I do not think your hybrids use gas engine braking very much as that would be waisted. They want to recapture as much energy with regenerative braking as possible so when you apply the brakes as much energy as possible is captured with the electric motor which runs in generator mode and the energy is put back into the main battery.

You missed a lot never learning how to drive a real car.
This. I had a 99 Volkswagen Jetta with a manual transmission years back and I miss it. I drove the car. No nonsense electronics to help me drive the car, it did what you wanted it to do and when. All you needed to do was learn how the car wants to be driven. Got close to 30-35mpg city/highway. Too bad it decided to burn oil and had to be junked.

Back