2017~2024 Emergency Regular in CX-5 Turbo?

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Does it cause any harm to tank up a turbo with regular in an emergercy situation? I am in Colombia and there is a shortage of gas due to road blockages.

The current 2.5 turbo engines can use 87 octane (US measurement) all the time, not just higher octane. Not sure about the octane ratings of “regular” available in Colombia or how they are measured - RON, MON, AKI or what.

You'll be fine with 87 octane. The engine knows which octane is being used and adjusts engine parameters accordingly. You'll lose a bit of power as compared to higher octane but the car will be fine.

Well I'm seeing in wikipedia that the RON level for regular is about the same for both US and Colombian gasolines so indeed it does not appear to be an issue.

Spinning the engine much above 5000 rpm won’t hurt a thing, but it won’t help much with power. The horsepower curve starts dropping off after ~4800 rpm after peaking around 4000 rpm.

I appreciate the informative responses to my original question. Now I need to update it. The "emergency" descriptive no longer applies. The national strike here in Colombia continues with roads into the city of Cali where I live continuously blocked. Some fuel as well as foodstuffs have been let in but there is no sign of "extra" being supplied to gas stations any time soon. So now my question is, is there damage to a turbo CX 5 when regular fuel is used for an extended period like a month or two?

Absolutely not, as long as it is equivalent to or higher than the 87 octane available in the US. Mazda advertises the turbo as producing 227 hp on 87 octane.

Well that's good to know. Since I posed the question gas stations here are now getting delivery of "extra". I checked once in wikipedia and if I recall correctly the "regular" octane rating for gas sold here is the same as in the US.

I appreciate the informative responses to my original question. Now I need to update it. The "emergency" descriptive no longer applies. The national strike here in Colombia continues with roads into the city of Cali where I live continuously blocked. Some fuel as well as foodstuffs have been let in but there is no sign of "extra" being supplied to gas stations any time soon. So now my question is, is there damage to a turbo CX 5 when regular fuel is used for an extended period like a month or two?
A national strike? Yikes. What's the strike about?

Colombia is in a huge mess right now. Roads throughout the country are blocked. Only some so called "humanitarian" deliveries of food, medicine and gasoline are being let through. The strike began in response to a proposed economic reform that would tax a lot more people but was finally shelved as a result of the protests. The strikers then added more issues to the extent that it is now not clear what they want. Unfortunately criminal groups especially FARC guerrilla have taken advantage of the situation to create havoc in the cities through violent acts of vandalism in an effort to collapse the current government. Indian groups are allied with the guerrila and it is mostly Indians who are manning the roadblocks outside the cities.As things stand today there is no way to leave or enter the city of Cali where I am either North , South, East or West. All roads blocked.

If I got the turbo, I don't think I'd ever put anything but regular it it. It makes no difference except when you are accelerating full throttle at high RPM - something I almost never do.

Back