Easy entry seat option?

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
I was hoping this option exists but that I just couldn't find it.... A setting where the seat automatically lowers and goes back when I park or turn off the car? Some cars have a setting that does this to make entry and exit easier/more room.

Mazda has not invented this feature yet. Most likely you've driven US cars or some real luxury brands before. Well Mazda doesn't even have rear parking sensors on anything below Signature on the CX-5...So that's that.

Yeah, I looked in the manual but didn't see it. But, since it's just me and my 5'6 frame I don't like sliding on the side bolster too much when I get in, so I just set memory 2 for low and back (exit/entry), hehe. I also put one of those 1/4 inch self sticking rubber bumper on the '1' position so it's easy to find, similar to what I did here....

Last edited:
The upper models do have memory seats with 2 settings. If you are the only driver, you could set one position to be your ingress/egress position, and the other to be your driving position.

You would still need to press the button and wait for it though.

Yes, Mazda hasn't implemented this feature yet. They have plenty to catch up on if they want to be more premium-focused.

My brother-in-law's Pathfinder has the easy entry seat, which is nice. Also has individual tire pressure readout. But I think my CX-9 or a CX-5 would still be a much better car to own and drive overall.

I also used to own a Lexus IS250 that had an electronic tilt and telescopic steering wheel, and when I turned off the ignition, it would move up out of the way to make it easier to get out. It would move back into position when the car was started. I really miss the novelty of that feature, lol.

Just for what it's worth, my 2021 Acura RDX Aspec has this feature. It moves the seat backwards when you turn off the car and open the door. It then moves it forward when you get in and start the car. It's a nice feature.

My C7 Corvette had the easy entry seat & steering wheel which was a very nice feature. Corvettes are difficult enough to enter/exit with this feature. I do miss it along with the power tilt / telescopic steering wheel. Additionally the exterior mirrors and head-up display could be set to adjust with the seat and steering.

The upper models do have memory seats with 2 settings. If you are the only driver, you could set one position to be your ingress/egress position, and the other to be your driving position.

You would still need to press the button and wait for it though.
Yup, see my post #3

Never had a Mazda before, but couldn’t find anyone selling a car with the features I wanted who wasn’t charging above MSRP at this time. I got a good deal on a Signature (well, probably because the MSRP is over-priced to start with ;) ) and am happy with my choice.

I guess I’m still getting used to some of Mazda’s odd choices compared to competitors (like it’s the only car I’ve had which has a HUD, which I like a lot, but it doesn’t display individual tire pressure??? Horizontally mounted trunk cargo net??? Totally weird cargo cover??? Rear seat heater switches hidden in the rear console and inaccessible if someone is sitting in the middle???).

I also don’t think they could have worked any harder making the brown leather and real wood trim look black instead of brown, but anyhow, the reason I’m posting here is there have been several times when I have unlocked the car then opened the driver’s door and the driver’s seat moved all the way back, as if there was an “easy-entry” feature, but it is totally unclear to me under what circumstances this happens.

It doesn’t happen often but has happened more than once. After starting the car, the driver’s seat doesn’t move forward, but it’s no big deal to press the seat memory button at that point. I know this isn’t some sort of confusion with the two seat memories, as my wife’s setting (Memory 2) is even farther forward than mine and her other seat and mirror settings are totally different than mine (and she rarely drives my car) yet the only difference when I get in is the seat moving back.

Is this just a glitch or a bug, or is this feature really in there and I just don’t know how to access it reliably?

Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but my son's Maxima has that, and I find it super annoying. 🤷‍♂️

@Boby@ , could this be happening by using the "other" of the two keys? You can program seat settings to trigger when the different keys are used.

I agree with tire pressure display would be nice! I paid $6 for the Forscan app and $30-something for a bluetooth obii dongle and can see any of about 400 parameters 😁 (and more functions) from all of the computer modules on the car ... Set up a custom gauge package.

There is a feature, you can program the key fob to automatically go to a preset position (memory 1 or 2) when you open the door within 40 seconds of unlocking it with the key fob.

Got to go to work, I'm sure some can post the OM page before I get home from work

Yeah, I already have the seat memories associated with the key fobs. My fob selects memory 1 and my wife’s fob selects memory 2. That’s working fine and we don’t share fobs.

In this case, the driver seat was already at my memory position and upon opening the door after unlocking it, the seat moved back without any of the other seat/mirror settings changing. I thought I had imagined it, but it has happened more than once...

At first I thought maybe the seat was at my Wife’s settings, and changed to my settings when I opened the door, but the seat moved back much farther than either of our memory settings were set to.

We had a Volvo once which was similarly confusing—I determined that, in addition to the two settings associated with the two fobs, there was a third “secret” memory position which got set any time an adjustment was made to the seat and it would return to that position any time the car was unlocked with the door rather than one of the fobs. Very strange and confusing, but it was my Wife’s car and I didn’t have to deal with it ;)

Last edited:
Ahh! I figured it out—my mistake. The CX-5 is the first car I’ve had where I need to move the front seats forward to fold the rear seats down, as the rear headrests hit the front seat backs when you fold the seats down.

A few times I had moved the driver’s seat forward to fold the rear seats down and I guess I forgot to move it back, so when I unlocked the car, the only setting which changed was how far back the driver’s seat went. I just imagined the seat went back further than my memory setting, as I didn’t realize the seat was already forward of my memory position.

It would be nice if the headrests would automatically fold down when the seat is folded down. I recall seeing that on an older car, but I can't remember which one. Some of the luxury brands like Volvo, BMW and Lincoln have manual or power folding headrests specifically for folding down the 2nd row without having to move the front seats or remove the headrests completely.

I originally started by removing the headrests, but it’s just easier and quicker to move the seat, especially since you can recall your seating position at the touch of a button (also, you don’t have to find someplace to put the headrests).

My preference would be to be able to slide the headrest a bit into the seat when not in use—I don’t imagine anyone really needs to lean their neck up against the seat when riding and would never notice a small cavity at the top of the seat when the headrests are in “operating” position...

Oh yeah, we had a car once, where you could push a button to release the rear headrests and they would automatically flop forward on a spring hinge. That worked great, but I don’t see why it couldn’t have been a mechanical button on the seat, rather than an electrical button on the dash...

Oh yeah, we had a car once, where you could push a button to release the rear headrests and they would automatically flop forward on a spring hinge. That worked great, but I don’t see why it couldn’t have been a mechanical button on the seat, rather than an electrical button on the dash...

I think that was the mechanism I've seen in the past, except that when you pulled the lever to fold the seat flat, it would also release the rear headrests. No extra buttons to forget to push.

EDIT: Well now I feel like a dummy. It's my car. The 3rd row's headrests automatically fold down when you pull the latch to fold the seats down. Smh 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
I originally started by removing the headrests, but it’s just easier and quicker to move the seat, especially since you can recall your seating position at the touch of a button (also, you don’t have to find someplace to put the headrests).
I mean, if you're that busy, maybe you need to lighten up your schedule a bit.
:D
Find some place to put the head rests? You put them on the floor of the back seat.

The luxury of it being just me and the GF, we took the rear headrest out

Last edited:
Back