Drove the cx-3. We are buying one

The CX3 is based off of Mazda's cheapest lowest economy car with a nice face. Under that skin though I wonder just how good can an entry level economy SUV be that is based off of an even lower economy car? My guess is it's even noisier than Mazda's already noisy cars.

Im thinking about trading my 2014 Mazda3 for a CX3 next year...

My wife has a Forester as a company car and loves the higher driving position.
She said the 3 is too low and she can't see very well.

Problem is - i LOVE my 3 and the CX3 is a bit small compared.
What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has she sat in a CX-3 yet? I recently checked it out at a dealer in Kobe (along with the new Miata). I really like the CX-3 and I'm seeing them more and more here in my neck of Japan. If you're afraid it's going to be too small, what about the CX-5? Have you seen my video of the Racing Concept CX-3? In the video you can see how it looks and feels from the inside including the back seat and a look at the "boot" (mind you some things are different like the front seats).

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DQn49OjVC44?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To me, the CX-3 feels like a sportier, taller Mazda2 / Demio with more ground clearance. I love how the front looks as well as the overall styling and here in Japan you can get it with a Diesel (like with most of the SkyActiv range).

Perhaps in your case a CX-5 would be better if you're concerned about space..? :D

Has she sat in a CX-3 yet? I recently checked it out at a dealer in Kobe (along with the new Miata). I really like the CX-3 and I'm seeing them more and more here in my neck of Japan. If you're afraid it's going to be too small, what about the CX-5? Have you seen my video of the Racing Concept CX-3? In the video you can see how it looks and feels from the inside including the back seat and a look at the "boot" (mind you some things are different like the front seats).

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DQn49OjVC44?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To me, the CX-3 feels like a sportier, taller Mazda2 / Demio with more ground clearance. I love how the front looks as well as the overall styling and here in Japan you can get it with a Diesel (like with most of the SkyActiv range).

Perhaps in your case a CX-5 would be better if you're concerned about space..? :D

Im yet to try a CX3, I've sat in a Demio, Cx5 and drove an Atenza diesel. And drive my Axela daily.
I don't really want to give up the look and and feel of my "Lexie" for the CX3, although I find it extremely good looking as well.

My issue with the CX5 is that I can't help but think it will be replaced by a new model in a couple of years. So if we buy it next year(2016), we might see a new one the year after(2017). (I kind of care about it, lol)

She just likes the Forester so if she really wants it, I'll at least try to get the XT model(turbo). But Subarus have REALLY bad interiors, I can't stand that.

Or maybe she should just lease a Cx3 and we keep our Axela awd.
Any thoughts on leasing in Japan?

Im yet to try a CX3, I've sat in a Demio, Cx5 and drove an Atenza diesel. And drive my Axela daily.
I don't really want to give up the look and and feel of my "Lexie" for the CX3, although I find it extremely good looking as well.

My issue with the CX5 is that I can't help but think it will be replaced by a new model in a couple of years. So if we buy it next year(2016), we might see a new one the year after(2017). (I kind of care about it, lol)

She just likes the Forester so if she really wants it, I'll at least try to get the XT model(turbo). But Subarus have REALLY bad interiors, I can't stand that.

Or maybe she should just lease a Cx3 and we keep our Axela awd.
Any thoughts on leasing in Japan?

I understand how you feel about your Axela and the CX-5. I would not worry about the CX-5 changing too drastically, it's a big seller now for Mazda and they want to keep the sales rolling while maximizing "ROI" for as long as possible...I found the following "blurb" on autonews.com indicating no major changes for the 2017 model year...

CX-5: Mazda gave the CX-5 a face-lift for the 2016 model year. Like the Mazda6, it got richer interior appointments and Mazda Connect. The compact crossover will get a mild exterior update in the first half of 2016 for the 2017 model year.

As for Subaru, I'm seeing more of the next gen models now...They must be doing something right at least here in Japan. While I'm not a fan of the current styling, I can see why some people dig it. I haven't seen their new interiors but I recall older gen ones being quite basic and uninspiring.

Leasing, before even thinking of getting a Subaru over a Mazda (this is Mazdas247 after all :p ), make sure to explore all your options...Unfortunately, I have zero experience with leasing in Japan (or the U.S. for that matter). Maybe a visit with the wife to the Mazda Dealer is in order? :D I believe the Dealer in Kobe near me is one of only a few brand new super fancy style Mazda Dealers in Japan...They've now been open a year and seem to be doing well. It looks like a Lexus Dealer with the large glass showroom walls etc...Much nicer than your typical aging Japanese Mazda Dealer, that's for sure!

That's great, Mazda really needs better looking and more elegant dealers to match their great looking line-up.

-------------------------------

Interior is a big thing for me. More so than exterior. If the Cx5 got the dash from the Atenza I'd trade in my Axela in a heartbeat.(not a fan of the deep in dash, old style screen)
That's just me being picky.

Let's see what she really wants to do. Women are funny, somedays she's like, "That's it, I'm getting a mini", others it's "I'm getting a Polo", and then now "I like my work car"
How can we, men, keep up with this??
*move this post to the relationship forum.

-------------------------------------

As for Subaru, I really like the Levorg. Seems to have a nice interior and a nice boot.
(Not tall enough for the "boss" though)

What I'm feeling though, is that we might end up getting a CX5 or a Forester next year.

Last edited:
Let's see what she really wants to do. Women are funny, somedays she's like, "That's it, I'm getting a mini", others it's "I'm getting a Polo", and then now "I like my work car"
How can we, men, keep up with this??
*move this post to the relationship forum.

Haha...I understand where you're coming from...Well, if it's going to be a face off between the Subaru and the CX-5, I sure hope she ends up choosing Mazda's crossover. Good Luck! :D

Definitely. I absolutely love Mazda.

I took out a CX3 GT yesterday just for fun. Was crystal white, which black leather. Its a bit smaller then the CX5, but still actually very comfortable. I actually like the interior layout even more then the CX5 in all truth, specially with the added pieces of aluminum trim they did, and the splashes of red leather. Performance wise its actually alot more peppy then i expected it to be. If i didnt have 2 small children, and they offered it with a Manual trans, id definitely buy one.

Looks like a cool little rig. My need to haul around stuff keeps the CX-5 at my minimum baseline though.

Just traded in my '13 CX-5 GT for a CX-3 GT. Just getting to know it, but already noticed how much better it drives than the CX-5 and how much quieter it is. If you need a lot of space, then this isn't the vehicle for you, but 4 of us fit comfortably on the 45 minute ride home from the dealer. Now if we had luggage with us? Maybe a weekend trip at most. Then again, that's why I have a minivan

I am going to be using a lot of styling cues from the one in the video. Ours is going to be blue, with black wheels. Lowering and using the factory body kit available from mazda. Its an awesome rig. Only thing, there is no provision for a factory roof rack that I saw, anyone know if they do make one?

We have the BOSE system with noise cancelling, which probably helps, but it just seems more solid overall. Wind noise is definitely less.
I don't drive my CX5 much anymore, sometimes going two weeks between drives. Today I took imy CX5 for a 1/2 hour highway drive. During this drive I noticed how obnoxiously loud the wind noise is. The tires were roaring too but I know they are worn. I said to myself if Mazda doesn't improve on this that this could be my last Mazda. The copious amounts of wind and road noise becomes tiresome on long highway drives. I guess I had gotten used to it before I started driving a Ford F-150 truck for work every day.

I've found my CX-3 to be much quieter than the RAV 4 I used to have. Road noise has not been a problem so far. It's really quiet around town, and not bad on the highway at all.

I test drove both the Touring and GT, and my impression was that the Touring was actually a bit quieter, maybe due to the tires on the GT. Though TBH the 2 test drives were a couple of days apart, so there might not actually be that much difference between them.

We have the BOSE system with noise cancelling, which probably helps, but it just seems more solid overall. Wind noise is definitely less.

I think Mazda has made great strides in reducing the noise levels in the CX-3. I had a Protg5 and found it hard pressed to have a conversation on my mobile phone, it was so loud. My Mazdaspeed 3 was pretty noisy; changing out the terrible Dunlops for Michelins helped, but road noise was still quite intrusive. The CX-3 is much, much quieter – actually I am kind of surprised at the low sound levels. BTW, the CX-3 does not have Bose’s “Audiopilot” (which was not a true “noise cancellation” system, but rather adjusted the EQ curve and volume of the music to compensate for road noise) but does have an adjustable automatic volume level control based on speed (which can be mistaken for noise cancellation). I set it to the max for grins and the increase in volume was very apparent, too much so. I now keep it just below the mid-level. Here is a good litmus test: get on the freeway and, as you are cruising, lightly run your hand along different surfaces in the cabin. If you can hear the rasp on the steering wheel, dash, leather, etc., the car is pretty darn quiet, which is the case with the CX-3.

I think Mazda has made great strides in reducing the noise levels in the CX-3. I had a Protg5 and found it hard pressed to have a conversation on my mobile phone, it was so loud. My Mazdaspeed 3 was pretty noisy; changing out the terrible Dunlops for Michelins helped, but road noise was still quite intrusive. The CX-3 is much, much quieter – actually I am kind of surprised at the low sound levels. BTW, the CX-3 does not have Bose’s “Audiopilot” (which was not a true “noise cancellation” system, but rather adjusted the EQ curve and volume of the music to compensate for road noise) but does have an adjustable automatic volume level control based on speed (which can be mistaken for noise cancellation). I set it to the max for grins and the increase in volume was very apparent, too much so. I now keep it just below the mid-level. Here is a good litmus test: get on the freeway and, as you are cruising, lightly run your hand along different surfaces in the cabin. If you can hear the rasp on the steering wheel, dash, leather, etc., the car is pretty darn quiet, which is the case with the CX-3.

Took the salesman's word about the noise cancelling feature. I think it was the only thing he actually was wrong about as he was very knowledgeable. I hate knowing more about the cars than the salesmen, so this guy was a pleasant surprise. We traded in a CX-5 with the Audiopilot feature. Never used it as I found it just made everything sound muffled. Have 1000kms (600miles) on it in 4 days and am very impressed. Definitely don't regret trading in the CX-5 for it.

Took the salesman's word about the noise cancelling feature. I think it was the only thing he actually was wrong about as he was very knowledgeable. I hate knowing more about the cars than the salesmen, so this guy was a pleasant surprise. We traded in a CX-5 with the Audiopilot feature. Never used it as I found it just made everything sound muffled. Have 1000kms (600miles) on it in 4 days and am very impressed. Definitely don't regret trading in the CX-5 for it.

I never had a problem with the Audiopilot - it was the Centerpoint "surround" I did not like. It was very hit and miss, depending on the program material.

My salesman was also quite knowledgeable but also made a similar mistake. He said the CX-3 did not have the "noise cancellation" like the new 3 or my MS3 trade-in. I was thinking, "What noise cancellation? Did I have it and not know about it? Oh, Audiopilot - gotcha."

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your CX-3! I have roughly 500 miles (800kms) and the experience is just getting better. I have been babying it, trying to see how fuel efficient it could be, but last night, kind of grumpy after a very long day, I pushed it around a bit. As I was doing so, the work day fell behind me and a big grin spread on my face - this thing is fun!

Back