DRL fails after a recall service 8-\

:
CX5 '21 GTR
CX5 GT 2016
Fixed failed left DRL in 2017, had no issues since then
Went to do DRL recall service this April, that service is supposed to prevent DRL failures
The right DRL failed just now, WTF is that?!

What are my options, other than paying $1000 to fix it?
File a follow-up class action?

CX5 GT 2016
Fixed failed left DRL in 2017, had no issues since then
Went to do DRL recall service this April, that service is supposed to prevent DRL failures
The right DRL failed just now, WTF is that?!

What are my options, other than paying $1000 to fix it?
File a follow-up class action?
Just call Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations and explain the situation and emphasize that the recall didn’t prevent the passenger side LED DRL failure. If your original passenger side LED headlight assembly isn’t the “J” version, the entire headlight should get replaced during the recall.

I had recall work done on the drivers headlight in May. The drivers DRL still worked but was noticeably dimmer than the passenger (which was replaced in 2018). I tried to get them to give me a new headlight but they said under the recall they could not replace it unless it was completely out. Went for state inspection on July 1 and it was flickering again. They gave me a new headlight under my extended warranty.

Last edited:
The repair should be covered for a year anyway. If your recall was only in April, there should be no problem going back to the dealer and getting it fixed.

Dealer inspected mine today, hopefully Mazda will approve replacement.
CX5 2016 DRL backlog is 4-5 months at this time. I assume all 36,761 produced require headlight units replacement.

Dealer inspected mine today, hopefully Mazda will approve replacement.
CX5 2016 DRL backlog is 4-5 months at this time. I assume all 36,761 produced require headlight units replacement.
Thanks for the update.

Literally, honestly, have yet to see one.

In NYC I saw just one in three years.
My understanding is that it's a very specific model that's having this issue, early 2016 GT.

BTW, getting back to the topic, Mazda confirmed it will replace the failed DRL for free even though the recall service was done 4 months ago. Honestly I don't think that gasket trick they do as part of the recall 4320A makes any difference, but it's not my problem anymore.

In NYC I saw just one in three years.
My understanding is that it's a very specific model that's having this issue, early 2016 GT.
Actually it affects almost every 2016 CX-5 Touring and GT with Tech Package. 2016 CX-5 for US market started to assemble in Nov. 2014 until the end of 2015. Everything assembled after that is 2016.5 CX-5. For the LED headlight assembly itself, every unit assembled from October 1, 2014 to November 20, 2015 is subject to recall.

D4C4BAB9-205C-4C83-B572-463038190E54.jpeg

Is this issue common for the 6 as well? I am not seeing any recall for the 6. 6 would be a nice car to replace my 2nd ride with - I like the DRLs.

Is this issue common for the 6 as well? I am not seeing any recall for the 6. 6 would be a nice car to replace my 2nd ride with - I like the DRLs.
I don't think any other models are impacted
This makes me think the following statement is legit.

Honestly I don't think that gasket trick they do as part of the recall 4320A makes any difference, but it's not my problem anymore.

Hey all, any dealer having delays in ordering these? my dealer said they are ordered from japan and no time line on when they will come in.

one of my drl is dim only, both have white residue inside from gasket. they said they will replace both.

Hey all, any dealer having delays in ordering these? my dealer said they are ordered from japan and no time line on when they will come in.

one of my drl is dim only, both have white residue inside from gasket. they said they will replace both.
Here:
I received a Safety Recall Notice from Mazda more than a month ago that C-19 has impacted Mazda’s parts supplies for vehicles requiring replacement of headlamp assemblies. Mazda can’t replace LED headlight assemblies if needed for about another 4 to 5 months. The notice says Mazda will send another notice once the LED headlight assemblies are available for the safety recall. In the meantime use your low-beam headlights for your DRLs if you currently have any failed LED DRLs.

Strangely I’ve never received the original Safety Recall Notice before this.

My Passenger side DRL failed after the recall service and now waiting for replacement part (or entire housing) since June 2020. Not sure why Mazda can't get some parts over here.

My Passenger side DRL failed after the recall service and now waiting for replacement part (or entire housing) since June 2020. Not sure why Mazda can't get some parts over here.
That’s weird that we’ve seen several complaints that the replacement LED DRL failed again in a short period of time. May be there’s something else going on other than just the gasket issue causing the circuit board corrosion.

As part of the recall they only replace those that are flickering or dead already.
Those that are still (miraculously) working are being "serviced" and this service apparently does no good.
I'm waiting for my replacement since August, but seeing people waiting since June makes me think I'll still be riding my car till spring. We should have a waiting club or something.

Last month I saw '16 cx5 with both DRLs dead. An average driver would probably have no idea DRLs are dead. But I'm glad that people are still nice and helpful - I'm sometimes approached by drivers at gas stations telling me mine is dead.

Last edited:
Back