Drive Belt tensioner leaking at 40,700 miles per dealer

My '17 serpentine tensioner was replaced a month ago while the dealer had it for other service. They noticed it. Under warranty.

My '17 serpentine tensioner was replaced a month ago while the dealer had it for other service. They noticed it. Under warranty.
Is that comprehensive 3yr warranty or 6 yrs power train one? For me, mazda USA rep confirmed that it is under 3yrs/36k warranty but not in 6yrs one.

I plan to get it fixed with oem parts online ($105+taxes&shipping for the tensioner) and I'll also get belts replaced at the same time. Non dealer installer may charge ~$150, so total would be around $300 while IIRC dealer quoted ~$470.

Is that comprehensive 3yr warranty or 6 yrs power train one? For me, mazda USA rep confirmed that it is under 3yrs/36k warranty but not in 6yrs one.

I plan to get it fixed with oem parts online ($105+taxes&shipping for the tensioner) and I'll also get belts replaced at the same time. Non dealer installer may charge ~$150, so total would be around $300 while IIRC dealer quoted ~$470.
A lot more discussions about belt tensioner here, especially for DIYers:

Belt Tensioner - Shouldn't this be a warranty item?

download_20201125_174044.jpg
that's how leak is looking. I'll check the other thread mentioned above.

View attachment 233139 that's how leak is looking. I'll check the other thread mentioned above.
Yes, it’s leaking ⋯ :(

And the TSB:

TSB 01-019/19: OIL LEAKAGE FROM DRIVE BELT AUTO TENSIONER AND RATTLE NOISE FROM ENGINE COMPARTMENT

Description:
Some vehicles may exhibit oil leakage from the drive belt auto tensioner and rattling noises from the engine compartment. This may be caused by insufficient sealing at the drive belt auto tensioner damper when the auto tensioner fully operates under both high ambient temperature and high load conditions. To eliminate this concern, the shape of the drive belt auto tensioner damper has been changed.”

What mileage have you all been getting out of the stock tensioner before needing replacement in the Gen 2 CX-5's?

From that picture, it looks like they leak from the top of the boot. If it is not under warranty and you are going to change it yourself you can probably wait for nicer weather if it isn't making noise. It doesn't look like it leaked that much yet.

I had a nearly identical experience yesterday. Picked up my 2016 CX-5 AWD GT from an oil change at my local dealer and was handed a jar of Vaseline when they told me that I should replace my tensioner as well. 53k on the odometer. Estimate at just under $400. Reporting to NHTSA.

This’s something I should do too with leaky belt tensioner at 42K miles. In fact, we all should do it if the tensioner is failing under 60K miles.
I reported my failed LED daytime running light to NHTSA and encouraged others to do the same. Some made comments on the thread that we were petty for a bulb that cost <$20 when, in reality, the replacement was/is over $1,250 per light as it requires the replacement of the entire adaptive headlight assembly. It's now a NHTSA recall.

Mazda USA knows damn well when they have a problem and the tensioner is a well-known problem that I discovered with very little investigative effort both here and on-line: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10168785-0001.pdf

I reported my failed LED daytime running light to NHTSA and encouraged others to do the same. Some made comments on the thread that we were petty for a bulb that cost <$20 when, in reality, the replacement was/is over $1,250 per light as it requires the replacement of the entire adaptive headlight assembly. It's now a NHTSA recall.

Mazda USA knows damn well when they have a problem and the tensioner is a well-known problem that I discovered with very little investigative effort both here and on-line: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10168785-0001.pdf
The belt tensioner TSB has been posted and discussed in every detail in another thread which is going on for a while with 324 posts and a lot of DIY information by Digbicks1234:

Belt Tensioner - Shouldn't this be a warranty item?

From that picture, it looks like they leak from the top of the boot. If it is not under warranty and you are going to change it yourself you can probably wait for nicer weather if it isn't making noise. It doesn't look like it leaked that much yet.
No, just looks like a little seepage,not even a real leak.I'd just wipe it off and check occasionally.

I had a nearly identical experience yesterday. Picked up my 2016 CX-5 AWD GT from an oil change at my local dealer and was handed a jar of Vaseline when they told me that I should replace my tensioner as well. 53k on the odometer. Estimate at just under $400. Reporting to NHTSA.
At least they handed you some Vaseline.They just spouted some BS about changing out both belts (this at 29k miles)along with the tensioner and quoted me $420 .They said not covered by warranty (I was past the 3 yr warranty) and that they leak around 40k miles.

At least they handed you some Vaseline.They just spouted some BS about changing out both belts (this at 29k miles)along with the tensioner and quoted me $420 .They said not covered by warranty (I was past the 3 yr warranty) and that they leak around 40k miles.

Mazda Dealers: Dammit Mazda, Consumer Reports just named your cars the most reliable. How are we going to make money not fixing cars?!?!?!

Mazda: We implanted an internal flaw. An easy fix for your techs and good cash revenue for your dealership. Crafted with hands, crafted with passion, crafted with unscented clear 0w20 unicorn tears contained in advanced time released rubber nipples designed to allow leakage at 40k miles. LeakActiveSense technology is implemented into each tensioner.

Of my 3 Mazdas ('14 M3, '16 M6, and '17 CX5), the Mazda6 showed the oil stains like the pic above, and even on the generator (I wonder why). I cleaned it up completely. I have not seen any sign of leak for more than 6 months. I will keep it under regular check.

Of my 3 Mazdas ('14 M3, '16 M6, and '17 CX5), the Mazda6 showed the oil stains like the pic above, and even on the generator (I wonder why). I cleaned it up completely. I have not seen any sign of leak for more than 6 months. I will keep it under regular check.
Once something is leaking it’ll keep leaking until the fluid is below the threshold making the leakage or the fluid is almost running dry. My leaky tensioner will be replaced soon but not in a hurry. In the mean time I’m waiting for a recall happening if we’re lucky like the problematic LED DRLs on ‘16 CX-5.

But, I have not seen any sign of leak for 6 months after cleanup. I check it every weekend.

Back