Drilling holes for installation of license plate

I got a paint protection film installed on the front bumper and noticed two dimples for drilling holes for the license plate. I am concerned if drilling through the film will cause it to bubble. Has anyone done that before? I just got the car and had not received my license plates before I sent the car to the shop for installation of the protective film.

Thanks!

Given that you will be bolting, or screwing, the plate bracket directly on that spot I think that will hold the film down. I would be sure to use a very fresh bit (or bits). Whoever installs the bracket may want to start with a smaller bit to make the pilot hole perfectly in the center of the dimples and then use larger bits to finish the job. This method also is also most likely to disturb the film the least.

I agree with rowlands57, drill very small pilot holes first, then drill bigger holes until you have the correct size.

I didn't want to wreck my front bumper, so instead I got a tow hook mount for my license plate. Other options are the hide-away plate mounts.

I would use a punch instead of a drill bit to break through the film. Drill bits can pull and twist, which may damage the film.

I would use a punch instead of a drill bit to break through the film. Drill bits can pull and twist, which may damage the film.

Something like this?

3230.JPG

Back