Does your fuel efficiency improve as the engine gets worn in?

Hi guys,

We've recently taken delivery of a 2021 CX9 Takami (Siganature) and noticed that the fuel efficiency is only around 15L / 100KM which equates to about 15.6mpg. Its currently only as about 250KMs on the clock.

Looking at the specs, it looks like that it's around 20mpg around the city.

Will the fuel efficiency get better as the engine gets worn in?

It does improve after break in, but not dramatically. Maybe a few percent. I’ve never seen any improvement with several cars, but that is probably because a start driving the car a bit more aggressively after I get comfortable with the car.

250km is probably one fill cycle and a lot of factors might be muddying things. You need a longer period to level the data.

- Mark

How many of those kilometers did you actually put on the car and how many were on it when you took possession? It could be that the car was used for test drives or sat at the port with the engine running for a period of time.

I'd reset your calculations the next time you fill up and ignore the first tankful. The fuel efficiency does tend to improve a little over the first few thousand kilometers but not dramatically so. In the US, the EPA tests cars that have a few thousand miles on them to take this into account.

Mine went from about 21mpg at new to about 24mpg after about 3k miles. And then we got switched to winter gas and it went back down to averaging 21mpg. Winter gas will make a difference for the negative. Also, these things are huge and not exactly the best geared for mpg things for city driving.

Back