Does smartphone USB port also charge phone?

:
2020 CX-5
I just got a 2020 Signature and hooked my iPhone to the car via the dedicated smartphone USB port in the center console. The data connection is fine, but the USB port does not seen to be charging the phone. I can't believe that's the way it was designed to work. I just using a generic USB to Lightning cable. Are there special cables designed for simultaneous data transfer and charging?

I actually consulted the owner's manual on this and can't find any helpful information. The USB ports in the rear are for charging only, but that doesn't really help me.

Thanks.

I just got a 2020 Signature and hooked my iPhone to the car via the dedicated smartphone USB port in the center console. The data connection is fine, but the USB port does not seen to be charging the phone. I can't believe that's the way it was designed to work. I just using a generic USB to Lightning cable. Are there special cables designed for simultaneous data transfer and charging?

I actually consulted the owner's manual on this and can't find any helpful information. The USB ports in the rear are for charging only, but that doesn't really help me.

Thanks.
Front USB ports should be putting out 1.5 amps IIRC, at least while the engine is on.

Thanks.
Mazda dropped the ball on this. The front USB ports on CX-5 are ancient USB v1.0 which can only supply the maximum of 1A for charging. In reality when people measure the current it can reach only ~0.7A. This’s definitely not enough for newer smartphones. The rear ones have USB v2.0 and rated at 2.1A, but they won’t support data. The best way you can do is to use the 12V round charging plug inside of center console (or in the cubby of front console) by a USB adapter, and use BT for data.

We have a 2018 cx-5 gt when they did the apple car play / android auto upgrade they put in 2.1 charging port as part of it. You would think if your car comes with it the port would be 2.1 amps.

As I understand it, if I want to use CarPlay I have to use the USB port.

To the extent the port has any charging capability, is it active all the time or only when the ignition is on? As fast as my phone's battery died I'd guess only when the ignition is on.

Do cables make any difference? I looked at some yesterday and packaging on some them touted their ability to charge as well as convey data. Is this marketing hype or are there cables designed for simultaneous charging and data transmission?

The Carplay/AA USB input has a higher charge speed than the other USB port. Sounds like the problem is the generic cable. The Apple cables are overpriced, however I would prefer to use a Mfi certified cable in the vehicle where the cable will be in heavy use charging the phone and providing a data connection with Google Maps/Waze Navigation and Music (lossless FLAC audio from the free VOX app in the App Store) running simultaneously. I went with a black 3ft Anker Mfi cable, 10 bucks on Amazon, because the standard white cable sticks out in the car, the black cable is more subtle. I feel like the white Apple cable is just smash and grab bait.

Thanks. I'll give the Anker cable a try. Am I correct that the USB port only provides power when the ignition is on?

I have a couple of USB sticks plugged into the ports in the console under the armrest to supply music so have never tried the phone there. I have a Samsung Galaxy phone and bought one of the charger adapters that plugs into a cigarette lighter type 12V socket. I have charged the phone while driving by plugging it into the socket forward of the gear selector. Works just fine and I keep the charger in the armrest console when not needed.

My '15 would and '16.5 will keep my GS9 alive, but just. There are not meant to be charging ports.

You may be correct, but that would be a very silly design decision--a port designated for use by a phone but which will not actually keep the phone charged.

The USB ports and 12V cigarette lighter outlets are not active unless the ignition is partly or fully on, to preserve the vehicle battery.

I case anyone has similar concerns, I bought the Anker cable recommended above and the phone seems to work fine. It only charges when the ignition is on, but seems to charge fast enough that the phone always retains a reasonable charge. An Apple USB to Lightning cable would work as well, but the black Anker cable looks better with the vehicle's dark interior. The cheap generic cable I bought at an auto supply store apparently lacked the capability of charging the phone at all.

Back