Do not wash

:
2017 CX-5 GT
Sigh.

Our first experience with dealerships washing cars after a service was with our first Audi, an Estoril Blue B8.5 S4. Here I was thinking premium car/premium dealership = premium carwash. Nope, just some kid with a dirty sponge/brush who couldn't care less that left swirl marks all over the car. After that initial experience, we've adamantly stated for every car service "do not wash the car". Adamant to the point of printing off a piece of paper that we left on the dash that said in big bold letters "DO NOT WASH".

We stopped doing the sign thing because it seemed a bit obnoxious but after yesterday, we're back to doing the sign thing. We dropped the CX-5 off yesterday morning to get the summer wheels put on, and have them do a brake service while the wheels were off. Made it very clear to the service person that I don't want the car washed, and watched him take out a sharpie and write on the service order "DO NOT WASH" and underline it three times.

I drop the wife off at the dealership after work to pick up the CX-5 and continue on home in my car. She gets home shortly after me and the first thing I noticed is that the CX-5 has clearly been washed. Do a quick walk around the car and sure enough...

14az9g3.jpg

i28umv.jpg

A 2ft long scratch that starts at the leading edge of the hood and runs straight up. Called the dealership right away and they admitted to washing the car, but said they never used a brush and then the whole song and dance about how the scratch might of been there before. That car has only ever seen touchless car washes until now, and I'm not understanding how regular driving causes a scratch that runs halfway up the hood and then mysteriously stops.

The wife took it back in this morning and they tried hand-buffing it out. I'm waiting for her to get home so I can see it myself. Still not very happy. It's bad enough dealing with all the rock chips without the dealership messing up the paint.

Sigh.

Our first experience with dealerships washing cars after a service was with our first Audi, an Estoril Blue B8.5 S4. Here I was thinking premium car/premium dealership = premium carwash. Nope, just some kid with a dirty sponge/brush who couldn't care less that left swirl marks all over the car. After that initial experience, we've adamantly stated for every car service "do not wash the car". Adamant to the point of printing off a piece of paper that we left on the dash that said in big bold letters "DO NOT WASH".

We stopped doing the sign thing because it seemed a bit obnoxious but after yesterday, we're back to doing the sign thing. We dropped the CX-5 off yesterday morning to get the summer wheels put on, and have them do a brake service while the wheels were off. Made it very clear to the service person that I don't want the car washed, and watched him take out a sharpie and write on the service order "DO NOT WASH" and underline it three times.

I drop the wife off at the dealership after work to pick up the CX-5 and continue on home in my car. She gets home shortly after me and the first thing I noticed is that the CX-5 has clearly been washed. Do a quick walk around the car and sure enough...

14az9g3.jpg

i28umv.jpg

A 2ft long scratch that starts at the leading edge of the hood and runs straight up. Called the dealership right away and they admitted to washing the car, but said they never used a brush and then the whole song and dance about how the scratch might of been there before. That car has only ever seen touchless car washes until now, and I'm not understanding how regular driving causes a scratch that runs halfway up the hood and then mysteriously stops.

The wife took it back in this morning and they tried hand-buffing it out. I'm waiting for her to get home so I can see it myself. Still not very happy. It's bad enough dealing with all the rock chips without the dealership messing up the paint.

Not to be a prick, but why the heck would you take it back to the dealership and have them try buffing it? Obviously, they don't know how to wash a car, much less buff one!

I would advise just taking it as is and going to a reputable detailer and have them work on the scratch.

Just out of curiosity, what type of car wash do they use? A foam bristle car wash?

Good luck!

Good luck getting it resolved. This is exactly why I haven't washed by car since I purchased it. Here in the desert, the dealership doesn't provide a car wash unless requested in the name of water conservation.

Same experience I had with my Lexus when I took it in for something a couple years ago. Those people just treat the cars like cattle.

They managed to buff it out to the point that it's not really visible anymore. but they were a bit rude about it. They brought my wife out twice to see the car and both times she told them "I can still see the scratch". 3rd time they just gave her the keys and said "Your car is ready" and walked away.

I get that in their head the scratch might of already been there, but if they didn't wash the car like I specifically told them not to do then this would of been a non-issue. Anyhow, problem fixed and life goes on. If somebody could help me with how easily the paint chips that would be awesome.

They managed to buff it out to the point that it's not really visible anymore. but they were a bit rude about it. They brought my wife out twice to see the car and both times she told them "I can still see the scratch". 3rd time they just gave her the keys and said "Your car is ready" and walked away.

I get that in their head the scratch might of already been there, but if they didn't wash the car like I specifically told them not to do then this would of been a non-issue. Anyhow, problem fixed and life goes on. If somebody could help me with how easily the paint chips that would be awesome.

Glad they were able to fix that for you (yippy)

I am curious about their washing method too because that line is perfectly straight. If someone did it by hand it wouldn't be a 2 foot straight line.
A couple of days ago I stopped at my usual gas station and this time the attendant lifted a windshield washer and was about to wash my windshield. I said "NOOO!" lol. Today I washed and waxed my car, is the second wash/wax. I was happy how much the water beaded and it practically washed itself.

CarWater.jpg

Yup. In NJ we are not allowed to pump our own gas and some attendants still wash the windshield (rolleyes)

HESS station?

I used to manage one of those...back during Odd/Even rationing days. I believe they're out of Woodbridge.

In NJ we are not allowed to pump our own gas

Say whaaaaat? When did this become a law? And why?
I can't remember the last time someone pumped gas for me. It's gotta be at least 25 years, probably more. Seems pretty silly to me.

This is exactly why I haven't washed by car since I purchased it.

There are folks at both ends of the spectrum. I've read some posts on here from guys who wash their cars 2-3 times a week, others almost never.
I fall into the almost never category.
I've had my car for a year and a half, and washed it 3 times so far. Nothing in the last 8 months.
With our crappy weather and even crappier winters, we never have more than maybe two days where we can actually enjoy driving a clean car.
It's funny in that we have a couple of car washes in my neighbourhood, and they always have long lineups, regardless of the weather.
It could be snowing, or pouring rain, and there are still 5 guys lined up to go through the car wash. I don't get it. 100 feet down the road, and you're back to where you started.
I suppose I should wash it now that the snow is gone, but it's actually not that dirty. Lots of rain keeps it clean...lol, and it's touchless.

There are folks at both ends of the spectrum. I've read some posts on here from guys who wash their cars 2-3 times a week, others almost never.
I fall into the almost never category.
I've had my car for a year and a half, and washed it 3 times so far. Nothing in the last 8 months.
With our crappy weather and even crappier winters, we never have more than maybe two days where we can actually enjoy driving a clean car.
It's funny in that we have a couple of car washes in my neighbourhood, and they always have long lineups, regardless of the weather.
It could be snowing, or pouring rain, and there are still 5 guys lined up to go through the car wash. I don't get it. 100 feet down the road, and you're back to where you started.
I suppose I should wash it now that the snow is gone, but it's actually not that dirty. Lots of rain keeps it clean...lol, and it's touchless.

Lol, this is how we treat my wife's Civic. I think I've washed her car twice over the past year. Meanwhile I gave my CX-9 a full wash this past Saturday, and then a rinse and full wipedown yesterday (it was dusty :p).

In the winter I don't wash the CX-9 as often, usually only on colder days when there's no risk of slush. I've found that my car has stayed clean the longest in the dead of winter, haha. Also, even though it doesn't make sense to wash the car completely in most winter scenarios, I do like to regularly give the undercarriage a rinse. They're a bit generous with the road salt here.

A simple car wash is something that should be so easy for dealerships to get right. I was highly disappointed in my first wash, but at least it didn't leave scratches. On my most recent visit I forgot to tell them not to bother but it came out okay, so whatever.

The ban on self-service gas is amusing. I have heard about people from full-service-only states (NJ, OR until recently) recoiling in horror at the danger of unqualified people pumping gas.

The ban on self-service gas is amusing. I have heard about people from full-service-only states (NJ, OR until recently) recoiling in horror at the danger of unqualified people pumping gas.
Lmao. I've heard that as well.

Last edited:
Say whaaaaat? When did this become a law? And why?
I can't remember the last time someone pumped gas for me. It's gotta be at least 25 years, probably more. Seems pretty silly to me.

I had to look it up. Since 1949. Most people who live in NJ don't even know how to use the gas pump (uhm) I suppose it generates thousands of jobs, if one wanted an easy job. I have a funny story I just thought of I will tell it.

Many many years ago I had a 1974 Chevy Nova. I went to the gas station for fuel and when I turned the key off the engine continued to run, it was dieseling. I was concerned and I didn't notice that the gas attendant had walked over the the rear of my car, just as I turned the key back on. All of a sudden I hear KABOOOOM!!!! my car backfired and I saw the gas attendant jump about two feet and I thought he must have been hit with a hand grenade lol. He proceeded to fill my car with gas and said "That ******* scared the s*** out of me" lol.

Back