2017~2024 Do I need to replace the 4 tyres?

Dear All,

My CX5 AWD is fitted with the original TOYO tyres of 19 inch. I have to replace one of the tyres as I have hit it badly. Do I have to replace the 4 tyres? 2? 1? The wear is not large. I have done so far 19000 miles with these tyres.

Does anybody have a similar experience?

Thanks and regards

Last edited:
@fai1983

You didnt say what model of CX-5 you have (AWD?)
~19000 miles is about half of the useful tread on factory tires.

If not AWD.. I suggest replacing just the one.
If AWD, I suggest replacing two and putting them (new tyres) up front.

I'm just a random person on the internet.. this is you and your family safety.. here is some more reading to help you make an informed decision:

Technically, you are supposed to replace all four tires at the same time, especially if you have an AWD car. The computers assume the tires are all the same diameter and type, and three worn tires and one new tire MAY affect performance.

19000 miles is about a third to half life. I would check the tread depth at the very least so you are aware of your situation. OE tires should come with 10 2/32 of an inch tread depth. What are yours now? If more than 2 2/32, you may want to think about replacing more than one tire. If FWD, you can probably replace in pairs, but see your tire professional on this....

EDIT: I just saw the post above which gives great advice, especially with regard to tire shaving. You could just replace one tire and have it shaved to the proper depth.

The easy answer is replace all four.
Mazda recommends all four as shown below:

1608056866088.png

Last edited:
I think the Mazda recommendation is to negate any legal liability. Even in the most extreme case where you have one 100% brand new 10/32" tire and one completely bald 0% tread tire, the diameter difference is 1%. -My personal opinion- the awd is not engineered to the rocket science level that it cannot tolerant the most extreme 1% difference. Baseless opinion so I could be very wrong.

Dear All,

My CX5 AWD is fitted with the original TOYO tyres of 19 inch. I have to replace one of the tyres as I have hit it badly. Do I have to replace the 4 tyres? 2? 1? The wear is not large. I have done so far 19000 miles with these tyres.

Does anybody have a similar experience?

Thanks and regards
You have an AWD CX-5 with Toyo A36 225/55R19 tires. With 19K miles on a 30K~45K Toyo A36 tire, it’s a boarder line decision for your situation. The suggestion is based on you’re in the USA. Toyo A36 225/55R19 is not too expensive for about $136 USD each. In your situation the cheapest way is to buy a new A36 and shaves it to the same depth on tread like the other 3. The most expensive way is to get a good set of tires you like the most and replace all 4.

Last edited:
I replaced 1 factory tire, maybe around 8K miles. Had a nail or something too close to the sidewall.

I got it from the dealer because they were the only place that could get one within 24 hours. The experiences reinforced my hate of going to the dealer. They jerked me around on price-match, and put the new tire in a different location than I requested. And when I requested the location to put the new one, they acted like I was crazy because of course that's where they would naturally put it. (then they put it elsewhere).

They wound up giving me some percent discount that was a few dollars worse than the price match I'd asked for. So the saved a $5 or something, but left me pissed off. Much more that they jerked me around and didn't do what they said they'd do, than about the money, whether any discount or not.

I can't remember if they had the gall to send me one of those surveys, that the preface with, contact us directly if there's anything that you aren't 100% satisfied with or whatever.

Well, I told you at the counter what I wanted, and you wouldn't do it. What do you expect me to say?

Of course, a good legal advice is to replace all four... :)

If it happened to me, I would replace just one and keep the pressure lower than the other three.
(such that the heights from bottom edge of rims to the ground are the same)

This new one will wear faster (due to lower pressure).
As it wears, you can increase pressure to keep the same height, per se.

Eventually, they will wear out together. Then, get all four replaced.

I'd likely put one new tire on and be happy. The car will tell you if IT isn't ;)

I replaced 1 factory tire, maybe around 8K miles. Had a nail or something too close to the sidewall.

I got it from the dealer because they were the only place that could get one within 24 hours. The experiences reinforced my hate of going to the dealer. They jerked me around on price-match, and put the new tire in a different location than I requested. And when I requested the location to put the new one, they acted like I was crazy because of course that's where they would naturally put it. (then they put it elsewhere).

They wound up giving me some percent discount that was a few dollars worse than the price match I'd asked for. So the saved a $5 or something, but left me pissed off. Much more that they jerked me around and didn't do what they said they'd do, than about the money, whether any discount or not.

Or as noted by Consumer Reports and Tire Rack, etc, you can shave the new tire to match what you have.

The recomended limit for all tires on an AWD veicle is 1/4 in difference in circumference according to Subaru, Audi and others. That is ~ 2/32 inch difference in tread dept for our tire size. Ed

The recomended limit for all tires on an AWD veicle is 1/4 in difference in circumference according to Subaru, Audi and others. That is ~ 2/32 inch difference in tread dept for our tire size. Ed
I'm pretty sure Subaru says 1/8" difference in tread depth difference, which would be 1/4" in circumference.

Of course, a good legal advice is to replace all four... :)

If it happened to me, I would replace just one and keep the pressure lower than the other three.
(such that the heights from bottom edge of rims to the ground are the same)

This new one will wear faster (due to lower pressure).
As it wears, you can increase pressure to keep the same height, per se.

Eventually, they will wear out together. Then, get all four replaced.

I don't agree with the above advice. A tire with lower pressure than the three will generate more heat than the others and will expand at a different rate accordingly. Of course the amount of expansion will depend on how much lower the pressure is set at as compared to the other three.

If it was me I'd be pretty tempted to replace two tires and keep them on the same axle, either front or rear. You'd have to make sure that they stayed that way when rotating them as well.

I'd keep the good tire that you replaced, just in case this happens again.

Last edited:
My advice was to replace all four. (your money)

If it happened to me, I would not do that. (my money :))
I would definitely buy the same brand/spec tire and keep PSI slightly lower.
(not to trigger TPMS).
Friction might differ, but we are not comparing new vs. bold tires here.
Just saying what I would do.
Not a sound advice to others.

Hello all,

Thanks all for your replies.

Honestly I haven't decided yet what to do.

The new tyre has obviously a tread depth of 10/32" (0.31'") and the old ones 4/32".

Shaving is not an option here as nobody does it.

I am still 🤔.

Thanks and regards

Back