DIY Haltech Sprint500 Protege installation Guide

ap123

:
03 Mazda Protege5
Part 1

E85 Update post #12

Installing and setting up Haltech Sprint 500 on my daily driven Protege5.

Signal modifiers like the very popular Split Second are fine for bolt on mods but for many of us who have upgraded turbos, and forged internals it really limits what we can do when it comes to power. The amount you can modify the signal is limited and you will reach a point were all you are going to get is the check engine light. Stand alone system will allow you to change and control just about anything you can think of. You will have to choose an EMS according to your goals, number of accessories you want to run, and features you want the EMS to support. Things like anti lag, boost by gear, closed loop idle control. Such features may not be supported depending on ecu.

I decided to go with Haltech Sprint 500, the most simple ECU of the Platinum series. It does have its limitations but for most of us it should be plenty but again it all depends on what you have in mind. Its best to wire it in parallel to the stock PCM. That way you can still run all accessories like AC and speedometer.

Wiring can be done a few different ways. My installation process worked best for me and for my needs, this doesn't mean its the best option for you. I needed to install Haltech in a way it will be easily reversible to stock ecu. I wanted to minimize that amount of soldering. I wanted to be able to change wiring around without having to cut and re-solder.

Before we jump into the installation process:
With the correct preparation installing this system is very straight forward. but I am assuming you meet these requirements.
1. Basic knowledge of how electricity works.
2. Know how to test electrical circuits for continuity.
3. Able Read wiring diagrams and pin outs.
4. Some experience diagnosing, and repairing electrical faults in cars.
5. Own/have access to tools.
6. Own/have access to a laptop able to run the Haltech Software
7. Willing/able to take the time to learn and do your own additional research

Basic Shopping list:

2qvtaas.jpg

16 gauge wire, you will need quite a bit its a good idea to get a roll of black and a roll of red wire.

Coolant Temp Sensor, sealed GM threaded temperature sensor w/connector: DIYautotune

Intake Air Temp Sensor, Open GM threaded temperature sensor w/connector: DIYautotune

MAC Valve (used for electronic boost control). # 35AaaaDDBA1BA
You will also need, tubing and fittings if not included.

Wide Band Oxygen sensor System for your choosing, I got a PLX system.

Painless wiring relayed fuse block 3 circuits. # 70113

Deutsch DT connectors: wirecare
3X 12pin plug
5X 12pin receptacle
Purchase Plugs and Receptacles as needed you'll need quite a few. Its up to you to get what you need.
sealing plugs, purchase as needed

Deutsch connectors make life much easier, the amount of soldering you'll have to do is minimized. They are also very high quality, sealed against the elements and heat resistant allow for safe to use in the engine bay. They are easily assembled and disassembled. Its incredibly easy to go back and make changes to the wiring. The connectors can purchased kits or separate components. It is not a bad idea to get connectors in different colors. Color coding the wiring makes it easier if you need to work on the wiring agian. People also use pcm jumper wire harness which is a perfectly good option as well.

Before starting make sure:
You have already gone through this a head of time a few times and other sources as well.
Have plenty of time to complete the installation. Installation is not something that should be done in a rush. Wiring should take less then a day but you'll still need to set the Haltech up. Setting up is the tricky part.
Have the following papers printed and in hand:
PCM Pin out
Haltech Quick start guide
Painless 70113 instructions and wiring diagram
Wideband instructions
626 Charging diagram, if installing 626 alternator

Lets begin!

Disconnect the battery

Disassemble the PCM compartment. You may remove the PCM if it makes it easier for you to work. Its not required.

Running wiring, installing sensor and accessories:
Before starting to cut into the original harness first run the wires and have everything in place. Well get to connecting things up at the very end. Remember its ok to cut wires long, you can always cut them down to size later.

Power/ground:
Find a place to install the the Painless fuse block assembly under your steering column.
Pull the the output wires (yellow,blue,purple) to the passenger footwell.
Cut 2 long wires that will be used for grounding. they will need to be long enough to reach from the passenger footwell to the drivers footwell and up to the battery.
Run the thick red/pink wire from the fuse block along with 2 grounding wires you just cut through the existing hole on the driver side, up through the wheel well and to the battery. Make sure the 2 grounds reach the negative terminal. Secure the wires to the original harness running along side.
To make it easy remove the wheel well liner.
Use your multimeter to find the wire that only gets power when you turn the key to ignition on your steering column. Tap the thin pink signal wire from the fuse block to it.
Tap one of the wires you will be using as a ground and attached the ground wire from the painless.
Pull the two grounds to the passenger foot well

Haltech ecu:
Find a place mount it. I put mine under the cup holder.
Cut the Haltech harness so it will reach the passenger footwell and there isn't much extra wire in the way. The harness is labeled so do not cut the wires so far back that you'll cut the labels off.

MAP Sensor:
If you are planning to using the internal 2.5bar(22psi of boost) MAP sensor you need to to run a hose from the intake manifold to the ECU, if you already have a hose for your boost gauge just T the existing hose.
To use an external MAP senor just find a place to mount it and run 3 wire into the engine bay from the passenger footwell. Connect the sensor refer to diagram/instructions included with your sensor.

EGR Valve:
Disconnect the valve.
Its recommend to make a block off plate and remove it all together.

Temperature sensors.
Its necessary to use separate sensors for this. They are extremely important, the engine will not run right with out them.
You will need a 3/8 NTP tap

Run 4 wires into the engine bay two will need to be routed to the water inlet, the other two to where you decide to mount the air temperature sensor. I had enough wire left over from the original harness to reach. So I was able to use the color coded wires.
Assemble the connectors make sure you do not get the signal and ground sides mixed up. Refer to page 3-4 on the Quick start guide.

Air temperature sensor.
You have two options, tap the intake manifold, or tap/ weld on a bung on the intercooler pipe close to the throttle body. I went the intercooler pipe route.

Coolant temperature sensor.
Haltech needs this sensor to be tapped before the thermostat because it doubles as a fan switch.
Remove the water inlet and make the thread. Make sure you tap the thread so the sensor does not interfere with the thermostat or you will have to buy a new one try again. Its not a bad idea to weld on an aluminum bung for this.

MAC valve boost controller:
Find a place to mount the valve near the wastegate actuator.
For internally wastegated systems:
The valve has three ports they are numbered 1 to 3.
Take the hose from the turbo and connect it to port 3 on the mac valve.
Connect a hose on the mac valve from port 2 and connect the other end to the wastegate actuator
Port 1 is left open. Some times fittings are included with the valve and it will include a filter fitting to cover port 1.

Run two wires from the passenger footwell to the Mac valve. Again you can use left over wire from the Haltech harness.
Ether join the wires for the mac valve directly . Or you can use a connecter. Connector is recommended if you ever need to remove or replace the valve. Wires can go ether way doesn't matter.

PLX wide band system:
Get an O2 sensor bung installed ahead of time. Its recommend to be place after the turbo.
I installed the gen2, they have different versions so refer to the instructions included with your kit.
Find a place to mount the Wide band module. Again I placed mine under the cup holder.
Assemble the plug according to the instruction included with the the wide band. If your kit calls for it install the resistor(included with the kit if needed) on the power and ground wires of the PLX module. Follow the instructions included its very simple.
Run the power, ground and signal sensor(thin gray wire) wires to the passenger footwell
Find a place to mount the AFR gauge. Run the and connect the wires for the gauge to the wideband module. These are the power/ground and signal wire that looks like an audio wire.
Install the wideband oxygen sensor. Connect the Sensor wire to the oxygen sensor and run it into the cabin and connect it to the wideband module

Fuel injector harness:
Chances are if you are using aftermarket fuel injectors and they wont be compatible with the stock plugs. You can ether buy plug and play clips but they're too expensive IMO. A simple and cheaper solution is to make interchangeable harnesses. Most of the aftermarket injectors use the same injector clips as OBD1 Hondas.
Cut the harness far back on the the donor car.
On you car cut back the insulation and tape on the wiring for the injector. Find a good place to cut the wires Keep the paired wires for each sensor together and organize.
Install the plug on engine side and install the receptacle on the injector side of the wiring.
Cut the harness from the donor car down to size and install the receptacle so the wires match up the same as the other harness.
Additional Items needed:
1x 8Pin Plug
2x 8Pin Receptacle

30jhdm0.jpg
2wn6wir.jpg

Aux Rev limiter:
Aux rev limiter (2 step) is used to help launch. it will let you place the accelerator to floor and it will hold the engine at a set RPM. Haltech provides the wires so you can wire different types of sensors and switches.
I wired it to a simple button switch:
Find a place to mount the button switch a location that is easy for you to reach and passengers cant.
Run the two wires from the switch to the passenger footwell.

Home(camshaft sensor) and Trigger(crankshaft sensor):
You have two options and depending on the option you will need additional items.

Option one:
Using stock cam and crankshaft sensors
No additional items needed. No actions needed at this point.

Be warned, I had issues using the stock variable reluctor sensors I was never able find the cause of the problem. It appears like the original wiring is prone to interference. The majority of the time it would run great. But some times i'd get random miss fires, rpm spikes in the signal, and when its cold it wouldn’t start, rising miss counter. Randomly I would also get a back fire when I turn the key and it would blow vac lines off the manifold. Im not the only one thats experienced these issues ether. It just made the car unreliable.

Option two (recommended) :
Switching to Hall effect sensors

Additional items:
2x Cherry GS100502 sensors
wire sleeving, optional
2x 3pin male connectors, optional
2x 3pin female connectors, optional
Last gen 2.0l Mazda 626 alternator
30amp inline fuse.
10amp inline fuse.
14guage wire

Alternator:
Its necessary to switch to a internally regulated alternator. The stock alternator will not run without the cam and crankshaft sensors. Best option is to switch to a 626 alternator. I got mine at the junk yard for 30 bucks. Take the pig tail as well you'll need it make sure you cut two inches of wiring with the connector.
On the connector you'll find two wires.
The thicker yellow/green wire, it needs to connect directly to the battery+ . Run awire from the battery with a 30 amp inline fuse to this wire. Use a thicker 14guage wire for this.
The thinner wire you need to run it to a ignition key switched power source, Tap the same power wire used for the wideband, its already fused. All this does is switch on the regulator so it doesn't draw much energy.
Connect the original output wires to the alternator and you're done. You will have a battery light on. The PCM doesn't like that that the original connector is disconnected. A way around this would be to set up a waring light on the Haltech and connect it to the battery warning light on your dash to the output you've used. But the way I have it wired there aren't enough outputs to setup the warning light

Cherry Hall effect sensors, you pick these things up for 20-30bucks a piece, a lot cheaper than the stock sensors if they every need to be replaced.
The most difficult part of switching to hall effect sensor is mounting them. The wire mounted on the sensor is long enough to reach from the passenger footwell. Makes installation very easy.

Camshaft set up:
Simplest solution is to make a plate. Make a template of the the holes on the valve cover. Use the template the make a plate to mount the sensor on.
Take one of the nuts that was included with the sensor and file it into a circle so it fits snug in the valve cover. This way the sensor is centered in the correct location right over the passing magnets on the camshaft gear.
To set the air gap match up the sensor to the stock camshaft sensor. Unless you have cut out valve cover and can get a feeler gauge in there its safest not to try to shorten the gap.

f9jajr.jpg
v8fnh4.jpg

27wxh0m.jpg

Crankshaft set up:
I couldn't come up with a way to make a mount so I sacrificed and old crank position sensor.
Cut where the wires go into so you end up with a flush surface on the back of the sensor. The first magnet will be removed in the process.
With a drill enlarge hole that was reviled when the first magnet was removed.
Take a small screw driver and tap remaining magnet out from the other end through the hole.
Remove the coiled wire inside the sensor. There is a lot of it.
Drill out the hole so the sensor can be inserted. Very important that the hole is straight.
Saw out the center so a nut can be inserted.
To set the air gap use a feeler gauge and adjust as needed. You want it to be about 1mm

Battery terminals:
Attach all the wires that have been run to the battery to their corresponding terminal. Its recommended to crimp new terminals but not required.
Keep the battery disconnected until the wiring is done.

Last edited:
Part 2

Now that all the wires are in the passenger footwell it is very easy to connect everything up. It is matter of matching up the wires. Not all wires will be used, wires not in use can to placed in a separate connector, taped out the way, or removed from the harness.

5p4jkl.jpg
2yy8qc0.jpg

Organize all the wires into the 12pin connectors
Here is the list of wires that need need to be cut on the harness to give haltech control.
Injectors:
The stock wiring will power the injectors.
INJ 1 to Pin 75
INJ 2 to Pin 74
INJ 3 to Pin 100
INJ 4 to Pin 101
Coils, we will be using the stock waste spark coils, the stock wiring will provide the power.
Coil 1 to Pin 26
Coil 2 to Pin 52
Throttle position, stock wiring will provide the power
TPS Signal to Pin 89
Fuel Pump relay to Pin 80
Open loop Idle control
DOP 4 to Pin 83
Thermo fan split the wire between Pin 45 and Pin47
If using stock cam and crank position sensor
+Trigger to Pin 21
-Trigger to Pin 22
+Home to Pin 85
-Home to Pin 86

If using Hall effect sensors Cherry GS100502:
You can ether use 6 pin connection for both sensors or a pair of 3 pin connectors. This is how they are wired. Make sure not to mixup cam and crank sensor wires.

To wire the sensors:
Haltech Harness to Sensor
Red wire, switched +12 to Brown Wire, VCC
Yellow + wire to Black Wire, output
Blue wire, Ground to Blue Wire, Ground

PLX wideband wiring
This can be placed on a separate 2pin plug/ receptacle or you can add it to one of the main plugs if there is space.

Wire:
Power to painless Yellow output wire
Ground to One of the Ground wires
The signal wire connected to the Haltech O2 input.

The rest of the wiring is self explanatory. For farther details look at the pin out diagrams in the PDF version of this guide.

Attachments

• Install guide pinouts.pdf
    505.7 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:
Part 3

Setting up the ECU:

Make sure you download and install the latest version of ECU Manager. Its also a good idea to install the Data log viewer as well.
Once you go online with your ecu (means the ecu is connected to the laptop) you will need to update it to the latest firmware.

Once the ECU is updated ether upload my map and modify it for you needs or start from scratch with the provided base map from Haltech. Make sure you get the right map. I have one set up for the stock Cam and crankshaft sensors and one with Hall effect sensors. There are a lot of differences in the correction maps, make sure you get the correct one.
Its necessary to check the timing with a timing light. Turn on the ignition lock set it to 10 and check that the ecu and engine are synchronized correctly. Adjust the trigger angle as needed.

The map included is a conservative street tuned map done by me. It a volumetric efficiency map. Use at your own risk, they are both set up to be used with;
RC 750cc injectors.
Gt3071r WG @ 1 bar of boost if used with a 7psi Watergate actuator.
BKR7E NGK plugs@ .030''
9:1 Compression
Safety boost cut is set at 17psi and turns off at 14psi
Internal MAP sensor

If you want to set it up from scratch using Haltech's Base Map here are the Basic Settings so you can get it started:
Main tab:
Tuning method: VE
Cylinders: 4
Fuel Load Source: MAP
Ignition Load Source: MAP
MAP Source: onboard
Max Cranking RPM: 400 RPM
RPM Display Max: 10,000 RPM

Firing Order:
#1:1
#2:3
#3:4
#4:2
Trigger tab:
Trigger type: Motronic 36-1 +3home
Trigger angle: 77.0
Variable angle: NOT CHECKED
Tooth Offset: 0

IF HALL EFFECT SENSORS:
Trigger Edge: Falling
Home Edge: Falling
Trigger Sensor Type: Hall effect
Home Sensor Type: Hall effect
Trigger Pull Up: Enable
Home Pull Up: Enable
N/A
N/A
Trigger Filter Level: None
Home Filter Level: None
N/A
N/A

IF STOCK SENSORS:
Trigger Edge: Rising
Home Edge: Rising
Trigger Sensor Type: Reluctor
Home Sensor Type: Reluctor
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A
Trigger Filter Level: None
Home Filter Level: None
Trigger -ev GND: CHECKED
Home -ev GND: CHECKED

Fuel tab:
Enable injectors: CHECKED
Injection Mode: Sequential
Invert Fuel Pump: NOT CHECKED
Fuel Pump Prime Time: 0s
Fuel Pressure Type: MAP Reference
Base Fuel Pressure: 40 psi/inHg

Ignition Tab:
Spark Mode: Waste Spark
Spark Edge: Falling
Dwell Mode: Constant Charge
Dwell Time: 5.00 ms
Dwell Duty: N/A
Ignition Lock: Disabled

Resources:

Haltech Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/haltechecu

Haltech E6X Install Guide by Nick Holinski
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123779417-Haltech-E6X-Install-Guide

Setting Up Open Loop Boost Control by Andy Wyatt
http://www.adaptronic.com.au/setting-up-open-loop-boost-control-2/

PCM Pin out sources:
http://www.mazdaspd.com/resources/
http://www.floptical.net/mazda/

Haltech Quick start guide
http://www.haltech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Quick_Start_Platinum_Sprint_500_V6_website1.pdf

Painless 70113 wiring diagram
http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/70113.pdf

Cherry Sensor information
http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/sensors/pdf/gs1005-gs1007_series.pdf

Hall effect Sensor information:
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/pickups.htm
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/electromagnetism/hall-effect.html

Attachments

• Haltech Maps.zip
    42.9 KB · Views: 332
  • Full low quality install Guide Protege.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 7,339
Last edited:
Nice, did you wire it in parallel or as a full standalone?

EDIT: Question was asked prior to write-up being posted. Good job man, looks good.

Last edited:
It's done in parallel. For a street car Sprint500 does not have enough inputs and outputs run everything on its own.

The full official guide is attached. It a bit more cleaned up then the forum version. Enjoy people

Thank you for this! I have my sprint500 sitting in my closet waiting for me to install it. Now with this write up it will make my life so much easier. Mods should sticky this for sure.

Hi everyone, i thought to bump this to do a little update for those interested in running E85. Ive just begun experimenting with this and im very happy with the results so far. Ive made the map more aggressive and i've maxed out my fuel set up. This is the fastest my car has ever been. Its spinning third gear. lol E85 FTW
I plan to throw in a 3bar map sensor and ID1000 and see what kind of numbers i can put down some time in the future.

attached is my new map reworked to run E85
My set up is
GT3071r at 17~18psi with a 7psi WGA
Forged build 9:1 compression ratio
Stock pressure regulator
walbro 255 fuel pump
RC 750CC injectors- these injectors are maxed out.
Once again this on my ass dyno (street tune) im not responsible if your car blows up!

Attachments

• E85UpdateTwoJuly28th2014Zip.zip
    13.9 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Fuel lines are good for 15% ethanol not 85% fyi.

Was wondering in case you had already done this, tips n tricks etc.

Fuel lines are good for 15% ethanol not 85% fyi.

Was wondering in case you had already done this, tips n tricks etc.

true the protege5 was made for e15, but my 2cents:
Upgrade injectors, upgrade the fuel pump and put in a new filter and strainer. Because you'll need the extra flow and e85 is known to free loose sediment in the tank so a new filter is good to have.

apart from that
It is known that on older cars made to never handle any ethanol content that e85 can damage various components. However I have checked a lot of other cars around the same year that are made for e15 that people run 85 and see if they had any trouble running e85 through the stock lines, fuel rails, o-rings, regulators, and filters and everyone seams to be a happy camper. Ive checked evo, suby, and honda forums and i have not found anyone thats had any issue with the fuel system failing b/c e85.
Also looked at guys that have left stock parts soaking in e85 and inspected them and absolutely no damaged occurred to the parts.

Only time i see guys change the lines is to increase the flow.

If anything fails ill be sure to let everyone know so they can change/upgrade the part in advance. Its not that long really but +1000 miles on e85 no trouble, no signs of any deterioration of any fuel component. Only issue i've come across is flow, i'm saving up for ID 1000 and a 3bar map to see how far i can push the stock system. im also getting a grippier wheel set up so itll hook up, I had to lower the boost because all i was getting was wheel spin on 215s. My goal is 400whp so i will see how close i can get to that number.
Also after getting the map dialed in i'm averaging 22mpg,vs 25-26 i was getting on 93pump, i'm glad i switched but im also learning as i go so its all a big experiment.

Last edited:
AP123 thanks for all of the help. This is SO MUCH easier than when I first looked at it. It all makes sense to me and its honestly simple once you figure everything out. Great DIY writeup. I can't wait to get back from deployment and do this. Thanks again!

Back