Disappointments / missing things in your CX-5?

Factory installed roof rails should be standard equipment on all trims above Sport. This is an SUV...not a Mazda 6. CX-30's higher trim have it as standard equipment now.

Would have been nice to have kept the 8.5 inches of ground clearance the Gen1 had.

An 8 speed transmission would be nice.....but I had a 9 speed in my former Jeep Renegade and it hunted constantly at highway speeds between 7-9 which made highway driving annoying with all its shifting....so more gears would have to be implemented better then competitors.
In the Jeep it's not the number of speeds that is the problem, but rather the design of the ZF transmissions. I had one in my Jeep Cherokee, and it was a horror.

I found nothing of substance missing from my CX5. I just keep driving and enjoying the great things about my vehicle. No time for whining here. Ed
To participate in a discussion is not whining. Unless you're the first person driving a vehicle to find that it is absolutely perfect.

Looking forward to the new Mazda 3 interior dash design and larger infotainment screen. I haven't seen any new references to the "no new models until 2023" reports, but, if that's true, I wonder what Mazda can still do to the CX-5 for two more model years to keep it "new and improved"?

Looking forward to the new Mazda 3 interior dash design and larger infotainment screen. I haven't seen any new references to the "no new models until 2023" reports, but, if that's true, I wonder what Mazda can still do to the CX-5 for two more model years to keep it "new and improved"?

Well, it's already the second-fastest CUV on the market (the Escape 2.0T is faster), one of the quietest, and likely the best-handling. It also has one of the most upscale interiors in the class even today. If it had a little more room, a little better fuel economy, and an updated infotainment system, it would be darn near perfect. It won't gain any more room without a redesign. Some tweaks might be able to squeeze out another MPG, but that's unlikely without a new transmission, and, while the current infotainment system's graphics are a bit dated, there's very little in terms of functionality that the newer infotainment system has. In fact, the newer system loses the touch screen.

They could add the 48" infotainment screen shown at CES, LOL. Seriously, I'm very happy with my 2019 Signature.

We absolutely love our CX5..but(Ah there’s always a but!) no excuse not to incorporate mirror adjust to seat memory.And the seats are a little to firm,the seats in the CX30 and Maz 3 are great.I could nitpick on a couple of other things,but overall car is a great value,a lot of bang for the buck!

• Locking glove box
  • Reverse-tilting mirrors
  • Side dimming mirror(s)
  • Kick-to-open liftgate
  • Lane centering
  • LED turn signals
  • Remember seat heat/ventilation settings
  • Remote start
  • Larger washer fluid reservoir and warning indicator
  • Remove the kick down switch - the sound and feel of that switch is like nails on a chalkboard to me :)
  • Dramatically improve boot-up time of infotainment system (industry-wide problem and still not solved in Mazda's latest system)
  • Move cupholders to the right of the shift lever instead of behind it
  • Eliminate or retune artificial engine sound so it stops sounding like an old VW Beetle (Honda knows how to do artificial engine sound fairly well)
  • Add automatic reset by ignition cycle or fill-up to one or both trip odometers
  • Adopt a Honda-style maintenance system where the vehicle prompts for ALL maintenance based on how it is driven

I could keep going and most of these are nit-picky things. I have no real complaints about or problems with my '20 Signature yet, although I have a funny feeling I'm going to end up having to have the power liftgate module replaced per the TSB - on more than one occasion, the battery has just barely been able to start the engine after sitting overnight.

• Locking glove box
  • Reverse-tilting mirrors
  • Side dimming mirror(s)
  • Kick-to-open liftgate
  • Lane centering
  • LED turn signals
  • Remember seat heat/ventilation settings
  • Remote start
  • Larger washer fluid reservoir and warning indicator
  • Remove the kick down switch - the sound and feel of that switch is like nails on a chalkboard to me :)
  • Dramatically improve boot-up time of infotainment system (industry-wide problem and still not solved in Mazda's latest system)
  • Move cupholders to the right of the shift lever instead of behind it
  • Eliminate or retune artificial engine sound so it stops sounding like an old VW Beetle (Honda knows how to do artificial engine sound fairly well)
  • Add automatic reset by ignition cycle or fill-up to one or both trip odometers
  • Adopt a Honda-style maintenance system where the vehicle prompts for ALL maintenance based on how it is driven

I could keep going and most of these are nit-picky things. I have no real complaints about or problems with my '20 Signature yet, although I have a funny feeling I'm going to end up having to have the power liftgate module replaced per the TSB - on more than one occasion, the battery has just barely been able to start the engine after sitting overnight.

LED turn signals are something I added in the first month or two. I think it looks better including in the rear housing where there is a noticeable difference. Definitely brighter and easier to see. In both housings, the LED appears clear compared to the standard dark yellow bulb.

(Before/After)

Last edited:
Not sure if it's mentioned, but after a year and 3 months of owning my '19 Sig:

- No 360 camera or backup sensors in Canadian model
- No lock on the glove compartment.. C'mon? My first car, a 20,000$ Chevy Z24 had this... as did my two Mazda 6's..
- No auto-sense of your hand to unlock the door like my past 2 mazda 6's had.

Some things I'd like my next car to have:

- Remote start built from the factory. No more bulls*** having to buy aftermarket or OEM ones at great cost.
- LED turn signals.
- Proper maintenance scheduler based on YOUR driving and the conditions (weather, not necessarily sand/salt) you drive in.
- Electric.

My next vehicle will likely be a Tesla of some sort.

My guess is that they'll bump up the power for the non turbo, change the incandescent bulbs to full LED, trickle down some of the higher trim features down like adding a power driver seat for the base model (and raising the price).

For my 2015, I would have to say the only disappointment I have noticed after all this time is that I keep forgetting I have the 'Smart City Brake'. I dont do much city driving to really use it and I forget that I have to hit the button to turn it off every time I start my car. It works let me tell you, if im rolling in the driveway to the garage door as it opens and I don't pay attention and get to close wham! I'm stopped and being choked by my seat belt. I'm talking like 5 mph maybe 15-20 feet away from the door and it stops me.

Outside of that I love love love my baby, like I never want to give her up. I can't imagine myself doing it, I really can't. I have never had my own car that I bought and paid for all on my own and maybe that is part of why I love her so much but through everything even the mishaps and minimal wear and tear yet expensive parts it's still my favorite vehicle.

LED turn signals are something I added in the first month or two. I think it looks better including in the rear housing where there is a noticeable difference. Definitely brighter and easier to see.

(Before/After)

Thanks for posting the link to the bulbs. Rear housing do you mean taillights? If so did these bulbs fit fine? Any videos of the taillights in action?

Yes, you can use the same bulbs in the rear. I have a different set of red LED bulbs for the rear.

It's extremely easy to replace the front and rear turn signals. The front is self explanatory and takes about 2 minutes, the rear is also very easy (~5 minutes to do both) and there are are videos on https://www.carcarekiosk.com/. All you need is a philips screwdriver and a small flat tool to pry open the cover to the 2 retention screws. The outer taillight assembly will then pull out.

My next vehicle will likely be a Tesla of some sort.

Just a little friendly advice... :)

When you first get a Tesla, you feel like part of a special club. The quietness, smoothness, and instant torque are impressive. Once the honeymoon is over and you're no longer overwhelmed and distracted by the exclusivity and driving experience, it becomes "just another car" and you start to notice all the problems - rattles, poor fit and finish, software glitches, etc. Because you paid a lot of money for it and still want to be part of "the club", you tend to hide your frustrations from others to avoid embarrassment and bury your head in the sand.

You don't buy a Tesla to save money or the environment - you buy one to be on the cutting edge of personal transportation. Tesla offers powerful electric motors, high-capacity batteries, lots of "gee-whiz" features, perhaps the highest level of autonomy currently available, and clean, simple styling, but they don't build a very reliable automobile. Studies reveal they have over twice as many problems as the industry average - even worse than any FCA brand (Fiat, Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, Jeep).

1, front headrests are too far forward and lack adjustment fore and aft ( deal breaker if not addressed with next replacement CX )
2, interior night lighting / footwell ak bmw ( nice to have)

I used these. Built in load resistors and aluminum heat sink, so they are plug and play.
I am a bit confused on this one. I put LED turn signals with resistors in the back, but everything I have read said you can't use built in resistor bulbs in both front and back. It looks to me like it works fine in yours. Maybe I need to order a set of your bulbs for the front.

I am a bit confused on this one. I put LED turn signals with resistors in the back, but everything I have read said you can't use built in resistor bulbs in both front and back. It looks to me like it works fine in yours. Maybe I need to order a set of your bulbs for the front.

I also have resistors in the back, only because I prefer red led signals for the rear. The Endpage bulbs have them built in and are plug and play, no dash lights or hyperflash. I would have just returned them if they didn't work.

I also have resistors in the back, only because I prefer red led signals for the rear. The Endpage bulbs have them built in and are plug and play, no dash lights or hyperflash. I would have just returned them if they didn't work.
Not doubting you at all as I saw your video of the front turns working perfectly, just reporting what I had read from vendors selling bulbs with built in resistors saying you could only use them on one end of the car as they wouldn't work properly. Are you saying you added inline resistors to the rear lights as well as having them built in?

Back