Disappointments / missing things in your CX-5?

I didn't spring for the cargo cover for mine. I keep a Harbor Freight moving blanket folded up and stashed in the back. It is useful to use to protect the rear bumper when loading cargo and big enough,and dark gray, almost black colored that it does a good job of concealing anything in the hatch area. With as dark as the hatch window is tinted and a dark covering over objects in the rear, someone is going to almost have to press their nose against the glass to even notice anything. It will deter the casual observer who is just walking by.

Sorry, that's just screaming "Hey look, I've got a bunch of cool stuff in here" No different than keepng boxes in view

But it's really not.
a) Almost every SUV has tinted windows there already so seeing inside is already difficult.
b) If even 20% of cars have a cargo cover there why would any criminal automatically assume "ohhh, there must be something good under there!"
c) I would guess a majority of people leave it closed 100% of the time anyway. (I do). Not "Ok, so NOW I've got something to hide, I should close it..."

The problem I've noticed from shopping the after market cargo covers is there were some complaints about fit or the attachments breaking. Part of the advertisements mentioned that shining a flashlight through the tint will reveal what is uncovered in your hatch. I tried it and I could see clearly what was there. In my case, I have a big flexible box that hold my tools and emergency kit. I rather cover it with the landscaping cloth and take my chances. The thief has to decide whether it's worth the risk to break a window to find out what's inside.

During the pandemic, there have been many reports via Ring of people roaming the streets in NOVA looking for unlocked cars to rifle through for spare change, or other valuables. Others have reported their sheds or storage trailers have been broken into by people using bolt cutters.

I have more concern about parking at a trailhead and someone breaking into the car. It's more remote and less chance of being seen.

YMMV.

I have a jet black poly fleece throw (3'x5') I bought for $2.50 at Walmart. I can throw it over stuff if I want to but my windows are so dark I rarely feel the need.

If a cargo cover blocked sound I would want one.

What features or attributes are you surprised your CX-5 is lacking? Things that you would have expected a car like this to have. For example, I'm surprised that the upper trim levels or packages don't include power adjustable steering wheel. Also surprised at the abysmal picture of the backup cam.

What do you think shojld have been included or better at your price point?

The longer I'm here, the more I begin to wonder if you're directly or indirectly working for Mazda. Or, maybe it's the delicious bourbon I'm enjoying. :)

Considering your spelling of "should" (shojld), perhaps we're on the same team! Haha!

Joking aside, power adjustable steering wheels are generally above this price range. I had one on my '08 G35, but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

Some backup cameras are better quality than others, but they're all adequate for detecting other vehicles, objects, or children behind. We don't need to be able to count the spokes on a bicycle wheel or the freckles on a child - we just need to know that there's a bicycle or child behind us.

Recently picked up a 2017 GT w/ Prem Pkg and I would list these:

1. Add mirror settings to the memory function.
2. Ability to shut off air flow at the center dash vents.
3. Auto up/down on all the windows.
4. Windows down from the fob.
5. For SiriusXM, ability to change the channel list to show Artist or Song, and not just Channel Name. (but I'll be installing the AA hardware soon and dropping the subscription, so kinda moot.)

Beyond that, I'm actually pretty happy with what it has, especially for the price. Thought I would hate the adaptive cruise (Don't tell me how to drive! ) but it's now my favorite feature.

My wife's BMW has everything on my list, above, so maybe it's asking too much from a Mazda. OTOH, her backup cam is terrible compared to the CX-5, and the cruise is dumb, so there's that.

Recently picked up a 2017 GT w/ Prem Pkg and I would list these:

1. Add mirror settings to the memory function.
2. Ability to shut off air flow at the center dash vents.
3. Auto up/down on all the windows.
4. Windows down from the fob.
5. For SiriusXM, ability to change the channel list to show Artist or Song, and not just Channel Name. (but I'll be installing the AA hardware soon and dropping the subscription, so kinda moot.)

Beyond that, I'm actually pretty happy with what it has, especially for the price. Thought I would hate the adaptive cruise (Don't tell me how to drive! ) but it's now my favorite feature.

My wife's BMW has everything on my list, above, so maybe it's asking too much from a Mazda. OTOH, her backup cam is terrible compared to the CX-5, and the cruise is dumb, so there's that.
My 2019 Reserve actually has auto up/down on all the windows and the ability to stop airflow in the center vents
20200621_121402.jpg

My 2019 Reserve actually has auto up/down on all the windows and the ability to stop airflow in the center ventsView attachment 225352
Hmmm. May have to get a part number on those vents...
These 2 features have been added for US market starting at 2018 CX-5 MY although they’ve been available in other markets for many years. Mazda6 is having these features for US market years ahead too.

These 2 features have been added for US market starting at 2018 CX-5 MY although they’ve been available in other markets for many years. Mazda6 is having these features for US market years ahead too.
I knew that Carplay/AA could be retrofitted, and I see there's a way to do shift paddles as well. Now the vents! :) I can see that I'm going to need to do more browsing and see what other improvements I can take advantage of!

I have a nephew in Japan who is coming to visit the states in August. May need to give him a shopping list!

Something real simple that I really like - the radio power/volume switch right there at hand with no reaching or searching.

2017 CX-5 Grand Touring--power passenger seats, hydraulic hood, roof rails. All minor stuff.

I've seen this on some lower model cars where you can roll down the windows by hitting the unlock twice on the key fob.

I've seen this on some lower model cars where you can roll down the windows by hitting the unlock twice on the key fob.

Most Honda models have done that for about 15 years. I've probably used that feature twice in as much time. Some owners have been unpleasantly greeted by a rain-soaked interior after inadvertently holding the unlock button on the remote causing the windows and sunroof to open. Unfortunately, the feature cannot be disabled and the remote can only open the windows - not close them.

Most Honda models have done that for about 15 years. I've probably used that feature twice in as much time. Some owners have been unpleasantly greeted by a rain-soaked interior after inadvertently holding the unlock button on the remote causing the windows and sunroof to open. Unfortunately, the feature cannot be disabled and the remote can only open the windows - not close them.
I mentioned this as a must have feature earlier in this thread, and also back when I first got my 2017 6.
It's been a feature in all my previous cars right back to my 18 year old Pathfinder.
I got very used to it, and used it all the time.
I was disappointed to say the least when the Mazda didn't have it.
I have never been caught in the rain. I keep my windows closed when the forecast is gloomy.
I really miss this feature on hot humid days.
To be able to open the windows remotely before getting into the car is huge.
My vehicles are parked outdoors in the sun in the summer, so I like to roll down the windows and leave them down during the day when it's hot.
It's also a useful feature when heading back to your hot car after shopping.
To me it's a major annoyance.

There was a car that had a button to roll all four windows down just an inch, for ventilation.

Most Honda models have done that for about 15 years. I've probably used that feature twice in as much time.

LMAO! My Volvo has this feature. I've never activated it by accident. Like you, I never use it. The only time I have used was to show someone that it does it. :D

LMAO! My Volvo has this feature. I've never activated it by accident. Like you, I never use it. The only time I have used was to show someone that it does it. :D

My 2008 Lexus had this feature. Like you guys, I never actually used it. I can see how it would benefit others, but IME the cabin cools down pretty quickly after opening all windows and getting the car moving.

I also had a motorized sunshade for the rear windshield that came on the car. Now that was truly just a "look what my car can do" feature.

Back