Disappointments / missing things in your CX-5?

1) Memory seat settings that save the mirror poition.
2) Radio that would stay powered for 10 minutes after turning the engine off like every other car I've owned for the last 18 years.
3) A liftgate that would open and close a bit faster.
4) Faster booting computer.
5) Never seen anyone complain about this but how about ABSOLUTELY NO piano black trim. Hate it. They shouldn't have used it anywhere.

All pretty minor things considering everything that the car DOES offer.

I agree with OP with the back up camera and no power adjustable steering wheel on the higher trims. Another things i don't like is the center console being too far back to comfortably rest your forearm/elbow on. Inside the console I'm not a fan of the little tray that it comes with and that the storage space is so small. Lastly, I am not a fan of how long it takes the infotainment system loads up after starting the car (could be because I'm driving a 2017 CX5 though). These are minor issues to me and overall love the car

I agree. I find it's difficult to find fault with it, although it has to be hard to please everyone when there are only a few trim levels and colors.

Camry LE and SE ($800 more) is a like for like Trim to Mazda 6 Sport. Camry L is the stripped version and is lower than LE.

I was not aware the base model does not have cup holders in rear? Wow that's bad for a lot of scenarios.

Yeah. It's stupid as hell. No armrest or cupholders. So you have 4 cupholders in the front row and rear has 2 cupholders, one at each door. The CX-9 Sport has the armrest and cupholders in the second row without the USBs

In short, there is a reason Mazda is sticking with six speed. They can achieve great fuel economy and driveability with a six speed paired to their innovative engines.

They stick with a 6 speed because it's all they have. They don't have the huge R&D budget to move to an 8 or 10 speed like Honda or Toyota do. None of they engines they have achieve great fuel economy either. They are sort of middle of the road due to them not having any kind of electrification/hybrid technology. Having an 8 or 10 speed would give them not only better fuel economy but also quicker 0-60 times.

There's a reason why the most powerful/quickest vehicles on the market don't use 6-speed transmissions anymore.

Looking forward to seeing their future premium vehicles but I fear by the time they are released the competition would have one-upped them.

1. Seat memory should include the side-view mirrors.
2. Driver's seat heater & steering wheel heater should come on at startup when temps drop below 40f
3. Infotainment System is outdated and needs refreshing badly.
4. OEM remote start should be offered that sets the HVAC to high/hot/defrost when temps are below 40f
5. Rear seats should be located a bit further back to allow for normal size humans to fit back there.
6. Headrests should tilt forward to be more effective and comfortable.

1) Memory seat settings that save the mirror poition.
2) Radio that would stay powered for 10 minutes after turning the engine off like every other car I've owned for the last 18 years.
3) A liftgate that would open and close a bit faster.
4) Faster booting computer.
5) Never seen anyone complain about this but how about ABSOLUTELY NO piano black trim. Hate it. They shouldn't have used it anywhere.

All pretty minor things considering everything that the car DOES offer.
Huge yes to #1.

As to piano black...yeah, I hate it too, but it's an industry trend so not so much a failing but a general annoyance of the industry right now.

They stick with a 6 speed because it's all they have. They don't have the huge R&D budget to move to an 8 or 10 speed like Honda or Toyota do. None of they engines they have achieve great fuel economy either. They are sort of middle of the road due to them not having any kind of electrification/hybrid technology. Having an 8 or 10 speed would give them not only better fuel economy but also quicker 0-60 times.

There's a reason why the most powerful/quickest vehicles on the market don't use 6-speed transmissions anymore.

Looking forward to seeing their future premium vehicles but I fear by the time they are released the competition would have one-upped them.
Mazda has merged with Toyota on some new projects, so they have FU money now. Hence the I6 Sa-X and rwd layout for the new 2022 mazda 6, and ultimately cx5. I am super stoked because this sounds like a Japanese SQ5 to me, and I'll gladly buy a lightly used CPO model in 2025 or so of the cx5 iteration. I should have around 200k miles on my 2019 by then and be about due to replace it. I imagine I'll be on the hook for about $20-25k for the cpo, factoring trade value, at that point.

I am the only driver of my car. A power adjustable steering wheel and memory for the mirrors tied to the seat adjustment memory don't mean anything to me. And they would add unnecessary cost and complexity to the car and one more thing to break about the time the warranty expires.
I have driven cars with 8 speed transmissions and as others have mentioned, they seem to be constantly hunting for the right gear as traffic and driving conditions are rarely static. The gear ratios of Mazda's 6 speed are well matched with the torque curve of the turbo engine so I don't see the need for a more complex and expensive transmission.
What I would like to see Mazda do is make all four doors, the hatch and hood out of aluminum. That would be a substantial weight savings which equals better performance and mileage.
As far as the rear camera goes, it is adequate for its intended purpose. I don't need to be able to read a newspaper with it. And while I do use it, 49 years of driving experience and habits still makes me use all three mirrors and turn my head before and while backing up.
Too much gadgetry encourages bad habits and more things to go wrong.
Oh, and I don't like the piano black trim either. But at least it isn't as ugly as carbon fiber trim.

I’ll play, but, there’s absolutely nothing that would keep me from buying the car again.

1. remote start hvac control. I installed a Fortin with dronemobile, so I am thrilled with my remote starter. However, I would like some temp/defrost/seat temp controls in the infotainment. My 2012 edge had this, surprised my 2019 cx-5 doesn’t.

2. piano black. No, never, get rid of it!

3. ambient light color change - this one is more for my kids. They loved when they could request the color (limited color palette). Again my 2012 edge had that.

4.PSI readings at each tire.

5. a windbreak/windscreen built into the sunroof (still miss you, 2012 edge!).

6. Massaging seats. Because this is my wish list and I want them!

As to piano black...yeah, I hate it too, but it's an industry trend so not so much a failing but a general annoyance of the industry right now.

Piano black? What Piano black? ... :devilish:

index.php

None of they engines they have achieve great fuel economy either. They are sort of middle of the road due to them not having any kind of electrification/hybrid technology.
This may be the single reason I won't be buying a CX-5. I'd love a 2020 AWD turbo but the fuel economy rating is only slightly higher than my 2006 CRV. Seriously, in 15 years, the best we've been able to do is 4 mpg??? With the competition introducing hybrids (CRV, RAV4) or plug-in hybrids (RAV4) my conscience prevents me from pulling the trigger on something I might be driving well into 2030.

Mazda is milking the 2.5NA with 6 spd and I would not blame them. It is very very good at what it does. Putting 8 gears without proper programming would not sell to the Mazda crowd. I remember in 2013 the Mazda 3 with skyactiv was miles ahead of any competitor - yes Toyota and Honda have caught up - but with CVTs in their respective models. If Mazda added an overdrive gear just for highway fuel economy - adding +1~2 mpg that would be ideal and allow them to use this transmission for 3-4 more years with mild hybridization of their engines.

Only thing I would add to my 2019 CX-5 Signature trim are the steering-wheel paddle-shifters. My 2017 CX-3 GT had them and, even though they are not really needed with the CX-5 turbo, I still miss them (fun factor). I understand the 2020's now do have them however (GT trim and up).

My only request, and I know it's a bit far-fetched, would be a button to easily and quickly toggle Bose Centerpoint on and off. Some of my music sounds better with it on and some sounds better with it off.

Mazda is milking the 2.5NA with 6 spd and I would not blame them. It is very very good at what it does. Putting 8 gears without proper programming would not sell to the Mazda crowd. I remember in 2013 the Mazda 3 with skyactiv was miles ahead of any competitor - yes Toyota and Honda have caught up - but with CVTs in their respective models. If Mazda added an overdrive gear just for highway fuel economy - adding +1~2 mpg that would be ideal and allow them to use this transmission for 3-4 more years with mild hybridization of their engines.
Well, Toyota did come out with a new 8-speed automatic transmission and used it in the very popular Camry in 2017 MY. The 8-speed has all the nice features Mazda SkyActive-Drive 6-speed has, but with 2 more gears for better fuel economy. The 8-speed has become standard equipment for many Toyota models including the RAV4. CVT is used only on hybrid and plug-in hybrid from Toyota’s.

Back