2016~2023 Difficulty with OEM CX-9 roof rack cross bars

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who purchased a 2021 CX-9 with the factory roof cross bars already installed. I wanted to take the cross bars off, however the bolts must have been installed incorrectly as the bolt will turn but not loosen. It feels like the nut inside the roof rails which the cross bar bolts to has detached internally. It doesn’t help that the bolts are a pain to get to as well. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

FWIW .... I ordered the roof cross rails and will be installing them next week when they arrive. I’ll let you know if there’s anything quirky about how they are installed.

I have another post about why I swapped the OEM crossbars for yakima bars. I took mine to the dealer to have the OEM bars removed. I put a wrench on them and was too afraid to strip them. They did it for free.

I installed the cross bars and it was tedious because of the position of the Torx screws but the screws engaged positively and did not feel as if they were cross threading. If you have a swivel socket for the bit, it will be much easier to try backing them out rather than using an Allen wrench.

Are the screws stripped on both sides? You could try removing one side and maybe the stripped screw will pull out from the other side? If not, you might have to tap it and drill it out.

Last edited:
FWIW .... I ordered the roof cross rails and will be installing them next week when they arrive. I’ll let you know if there’s anything quirky about how they are installed.
I didn't notice anything unusual when I installed mine this weekend. Just a simple bolt into a hole.

Hijacking thread with a related question. I just had the oem bars installed however they seem installed too far forward and the bars aren't level.

Would someone else with them installed mind posting a pic just to show their positioning on the roof?

Dealer is hopeless and don't want to rely on them saying it's expected.

Attachments

• PXL_20210812_232006471~2.jpg
    PXL_20210812_232006471~2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 278
  • PXL_20210813_085842216~3.jpg
    PXL_20210813_085842216~3.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 270
Thanks a lot wabbit! Indeed RH market. The OEM bars are rebranded whispbar/yakima but your video shows the mount points are the same position. Bizarre why Mazda has them so far to the front of the car.

Back