Difference between AT with and without Tiptronic?

ucnr

:
Mazda Protege5
Is there a mechanical difference between automatic transmissions with a Tiptronic shift lever equiped in the 2003 Protege ES sedan and 2003 Protege5 hatchback, and the 2001-2003 Protege (DX, LX sedan) 2002 Protege5 automatic transmissions? I have a spare automatic transmission taken from a 2003 Protege LX sedan with legacy style shift lever and would like to install it in a 2003 Protege5 that has the Tiptronic shift lever. Would there be any compatibility issues?

From what I understand, there is no mechanical difference. I considered switching to a trip tronic shifter from my basic auto shifter in my LX and found out all i would need would be the the cluster, wiring harness, shifter, and ECU. the tranny itself is all the same.

Tranny is not the same, different gear ratios and different setup internally. You would need to replace the tranny aswell to make this work including cluster, harness, shifter, shifter cabels, and the ecu

Thanks for the heads up 915_P5. I actually did not wind up buying that car after all but have obtained two other 2002 Protege5 hatchbacks. I got one for $500 but its manual transmission is destroyed, and I cannot find any manual transmissions for less than $350 nearby, however I do have an automatic transmission sitting in my garage from that LX sedan. I have almost everything needed to convert the car to an automatic except a radiator with the ATF heat exchanger, and the six starter plate to crank bolts intended for the automatic. The ECM I have from that LX sedan is programmed to accept 15" wheels but the car has 16" wheels. Is this going to cause a problem with the shifting logic? Is there an easy way to re-program the ECU to accept a 16" wheel size?

It's a lot easier to find and swap a manual and keep it a 5 speed, not to mention it will be far more fun to drive and put a good 10% more of the precious few hp it makes to the wheels. Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the heads up 915_P5. I actually did not wind up buying that car after all but have obtained two other 2002 Protege5 hatchbacks. I got one for $500 but its manual transmission is destroyed, and I cannot find any manual transmissions for less than $350 nearby, however I do have an automatic transmission sitting in my garage from that LX sedan. I have almost everything needed to convert the car to an automatic except a radiator with the ATF heat exchanger, and the six starter plate to crank bolts intended for the automatic. The ECM I have from that LX sedan is programmed to accept 15" wheels but the car has 16" wheels. Is this going to cause a problem with the shifting logic? Is there an easy way to re-program the ECU to accept a 16" wheel size?
Wheels will not be a problem. I have the starter plate from an AT I pulled a donor fs. I think the transmission mount is different two plus pcm harnesses. You should stay MT.

If you still have those 6 fasteners, would you be willing to sell and mail them to Cincinnati? I have an AT mount as well, and all the wiring harnesses. I have to rip out all his interior and de-contaminate it anyway due to filth and floorboard rust repair so its ok to replace all of the wiring.

The car also did come with parts from a second MT with a seized bearing. If I had the skill, it would be possible to build one good transmission from the two damaged ones. The previous owner actually destroyed three transmission due to bad luck and running boost. He lost patience with the project and sold it to me. I plan on putting his forged rod FS-DE engine in another P5 I have which does have an MT, but his car I intend to install a stock FS-DE engine and sell it for like $1500 since it has relatively low mileage. The other car has 215k miles which invalidates the entire worth of the car if i were to ever sell it again so I plan on driving that one into the ground.

Back