Difference between 2020 MY and 2019 MY, all trims

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Just for grins, I compared the specs for each CX-5 trim level specs for 2019MY and 2020MY.

This is from the Mazda's Build and Price website while they still have the 2019 specs listed.

This only cites the 2020 changes to each trim level.
It does not compare the different features between trims.

I think that the Sport picking up i-ActiveSense, and some trims losing Mazda NAV (pushed this option to the port & dealers?) may have been an effort to somewhat standardized the production process. But then adding paddle shifters in the top 3 trims and the 8" screen in the top 2 trims have sure offset that. It would have made more production sense to offer the paddle shifters only in the turbo models...then all the NA trims would be more uniform.

Whether or not all this translates into marketable packages (or profit enhancement) is another story.

Sport

Added the following (iActiveSense):
  • Automatic rain-sensing variable-intermittent windshield wipers
  • Auto on/off headlights
  • Advanced Smart City Brake Support with Pedestrian Detection12
  • Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go14
  • Lane Departure Warning15 with Lane-keep Assist16
  • Smart Brake Support17
  • High Beam Control
Touring

No changes

Grand Touring

Added the following:
  • Paddle shifters
Lost the following:
  • Mazda NAV
  • SiriusXM® 3-year Traffic and Travel Link subscription
Grand Touring Reserve

Added the following:
  • Paddle shifters
  • 8” full-color touchscreen display
  • Off-road Traction Assist
  • 10 ft# torque
  • Engine Harmonics Enhancer
Lost the following:
  • Mazda NAV
  • SiriusXM® 3-year Traffic and Travel Link subscription
Signature

Added the following:
  • Paddle shifters
  • 8” full-color touchscreen display
  • Off-road Traction Assist
  • 10 ft# torque
  • Engine Harmonics Enhancer

Last edited:
There's also the change in key fob from 2019 MY to 2020 MY and additional sound deadening in the roof headliner. (these pieces sited in dealer publications)

I might be mistaken but wasn't the "off-road traction assist" available on all AWD models? Basically it is just a re-programming of the TCS OFF button.

Just built out a 20 GTR at mazdausa.com. I didn't see an option to add Navigation. Kind of strange to leave out such an easy option (just adding an SD card).

Just built out a 20 GTR at mazdausa.com. I didn't see an option to add Navigation. Kind of strange to leave out such an easy option (just adding an SD card).
I've had an email exchange with Mazda Customer Service about that. The option exists in lower trims on the Build & Price site, but not for the GT or GTR. They thanked me for pointing it out. That was over a month ago.

Last edited:
There's also the change in key fob from 2019 MY to 2020 MY and additional sound deadening in the roof headliner. (these pieces sited in dealer publications)
All trims for both of those?

I might be mistaken but wasn't the "off-road traction assist" available on all AWD models? Basically it is just a re-programming of the TCS OFF button.
I just looked at the specs in the Build & Price website.

Only the Reserve and Sig say "i-ACTIV AWD® all-wheel drive system with Off-road Traction Assist"

All others are "i-ACTIV AWD® all-wheel drive system"

Could just be sloppy editing on Mazda's part.

I just looked at the specs in the Build & Price website.

Only the Reserve and Sig say "i-ACTIV AWD® all-wheel drive system with Off-road Traction Assist"

All others are "i-ACTIV AWD® all-wheel drive system"

Could just be sloppy editing on Mazda's part.

Thank you for the follow up. That is very interesting if they Off-road traction assist is only for the turbo models. (Subject to the Mazda website being accurate of course ;-) )

Thank you for the follow up. That is very interesting if they Off-road traction assist is only for the turbo models. (Subject to the Mazda website being accurate of course ;-) )
You're welcome. I like the interaction because I'm new to Mazda & learn stuff through the process.

You may have seen my other comments where I told Mazda Customer Service that the Options section in Build & Price was missing the NAV Card for the GT and GT Reserve trims. It's there for all the other trims. We went back & forth. They saw the error. They thanked me. That was a month ago. It's still not fixed.

So now I'm guarded in what I take as being gospel.

I've had an email exchange with Mazda Customer Service about that. The option exists in lower trims on the Build & Price site, but not for the GT or GTR. They thanked me for pointing it out. That was over a month ago.
Thanks for the info. I just tried with a Touring and saw they charge an absolutely ridiculous $400 for the SD card. Good thing they are readily available on Ebay for 35 bucks...

Thanks for the info. I just tried with a Touring and saw they charge an absolutely ridiculous $400 for the SD card. Good thing they are readily available on Ebay for 35 bucks...
It's strange, isn't it?

I hope nothing was done to disable the feature that might require more than a card. I've not yet read of anyone here doing their own NAV card in a 2020.

I looked at a Mazda site and found this. Seems like it might not have been written by a naive English speaker:

"
OFF-ROAD TRACTION CONTROL VS TRADITIONAL TRACTION CONTROL
Traditional traction control helps to correct wheel spin in low-traction conditions by reducing the engine torque and steadily applying the brakes to that wheel. The aim is to apply the brakes as smoothly as possible so the driver can keep stable control of the car.

But there are some situations where an abrupt power shift is necessary, such as when adventuring on uneven terrain. In a low-traction situation, most would just deactivate traction control and give ‘er. This is where off-road traction assist comes into play.

Instead of deactivating traction control altogether, the off-road traction assist button calls for the system to stop reducing the engine torque and increases the brake force on the wheels without traction. The optimized torque distribution helps keep you moving in tricky off-road situations."

I looked at a Mazda site and found this. Seems like it might not have been written by a native English speaker:

OFF-ROAD TRACTION CONTROL VS TRADITIONAL TRACTION CONTROL
Just to correct the title of that article, Mazda calls it "Off-Road Traction Assist," not Control. Could me a market-specific thing. Or as you said, it's a translation issue.

Just for grins, I took a look at the CX-9 and CX-30 specs:
>Every single AWD CX-9 trim comes with Off-Road Traction Assist.
>Every single AWD CX-30 trim comes with Off-Road Traction Assist.
>Only the Sig and the GTR CX-5 trims do (no other AWD CX-5 trim does).
>>The 2020 CX-5 brochure specs page (Pg 25) only shows it for the Sig and GTR (although the specs page does not discuss the AWD option for the lower trims), and the Build & Price website does not show it when selecting the AWD option.

Last edited:
Back