Didn't Catch a Dealer Screw Up

:
2019 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve
Hey everyone,

So just today after 3500 miles of driving I noticed that on my last oil change for my 2019 GTR, they used the wrong oil. They had used 0w20 instead of the 5w30 that Mazda recommends because their technicians didn't read the requirements for the new CX-5 models. I am trying to figure out what beyond getting them to switch out the oil to do since at this point the possible damage is already done to the engine. I feel pretty stupid for not having read the service invoice until now **

*edit*
Looks like the wrong oil filter too....

Last edited:
I'd try to get an extended warranty from them, with them footing the bill. If the dealer says no, take it up the ladder to corporate.

I was going to say it might be a clerical error rather than an actual service issue. Are you sure it is the wrong filter - or are you just going by the invoice? It's kind of hard to actually see the filter to read the part number. I'd have them verify that (with a picture for proof) before panicking.

When I picked-up my 19 Sig in May, the salesman took the "initiative" to schedule my first oil change in 6 months (I will cancel). On the driver-side windshield there was already affixed a sticker which had the "Next Oil Change" date and it listed 0W20 oil. That alone shook my confidence in them. I'm going to be doing my own oil changed based on the Flexible computation anyway.

Pretty sure it was a true mistake. The service manager didn't even know that CX-5's had turbos this year.

Diffidently have a face to face with the dealer service MANAGER. If he makes light of it then write to corporate, a firm but polite letter and copy the dealer main overall manager. A service manage who isn't interested in knowing about the service requirements for the cars he does writes-up for is more than dangerous. Ed

Pretty sure it was a true mistake. The service manager didn't even know that CX-5's had turbos this year.

Wow.

Do you want to mention who this is? I bought my car from Flow in Charlottesville.

A week after I bought my car, the salesguy called to see how I liked it so far. I was mentioning turning off the automatic folding sideview mirrors, and he said that he wished the CX-5 Reserve & Signature tagged driver seat settings to each FOB like a car he used to own. Uh....

A week after I bought my car, the salesguy called to see how I liked it so far. I was mentioning turning off the automatic folding sideview mirrors, and he said that he wished the CX-5 Reserve & Signature tagged driver seat settings to each FOB like a car he used to own. Uh....

Are you saying each of the two fobs will activate different settings? I was not aware of that, but will be happy to be corrected.

I wonder because they came with an ID#, but only one number for both. Of course the two buttons on the seat call up different seat and HUD settings. And the fob can instruct the car to save those settings. But I see no mention of the fobs causing the seats to move. And obviously I've never tried it. Am I missing something?

Are you saying each of the two fobs will activate different settings? I was not aware of that, but will be happy to be corrected.

I wonder because they came with an ID#, but only one number for both. Of course the two buttons on the seat call up different seat and HUD settings. And the fob can instruct the car to save those settings. But I see no mention of the fobs causing the seats to move. And obviously I've never tried it. Am I missing something?

Pg 2-11: "A driving position can be programmed or operated using the buttons on the side of the seat or the key."

Paraphrased: After you have made your adjustments and have pressed the Set button, press the key Unlock button until a beep sound is heard 1 time. (In other words, this step is the same as pressing the 1 or the 2 at the side of the seat.)

A paraphrase from Pg 2-12: To move the driving position to a pre-programmed position, Unlock the doors by pressing a request switch or the key Unlock button. After unlocking the doors, the seat position adjustment begins within 40 seconds of opening the driver's door, and a beep sounds when the operation is finished.

This is from the 2019 manual. Not sure about other model years. I guess you could press Set and then hold down one of the FOB's Unlock buttons to see if it beeps.

And as you stated, this adjusts to the programmed HUD settings.

You know, I got 2 FOBS but only one ID tag. I have not played with this...I'm the only driver.

Last edited:

You can program the fobs the same as programming the 1-2 buttons on the seat. It*s in the manual.

That's cool. There's nothing like that in the 17 manual. Must be new for 19 or 18.

Any 18 drivers can confirm?

Any 17 drivers can tell me I'm wrong about ours?

Get the extended warranty for the drivetrain. Get an oil analysis done yourself on the side with said fill to see if the wear materials in it are concerning. It's likely fine, so do this on the side, yourself, and insist on the warranty from them.

Hey everyone,

So just today after 3500 miles of driving I noticed that on my last oil change for my 2019 GTR, they used the wrong oil. They had used 0w20 instead of the 5w30 that Mazda recommends because their technicians didn't read the requirements for the new CX-5 models. I am trying to figure out what beyond getting them to switch out the oil to do since at this point the possible damage is already done to the engine. I feel pretty stupid for not having read the service invoice until now **

*edit*
Looks like the wrong oil filter too....

Which 2019 CX5 now uses 5w-30..the turbo? I would just ask them to re-do the oil change with the correct oil. Unlikely any damage was done.

That's cool. There's nothing like that in the 17 manual. Must be new for 19 or 18.

Any 18 drivers can confirm?

Any 17 drivers can tell me I'm wrong about ours?

My 2017 6 has this feature. I've programmed each fob, one for me, one for the wife.
I impressed the heck out of my grandson when I approached the car and opened the door, and the seat moved.
I told him the car knows it's me, but didn't tell him how. He was mystified.

My 2017 6 has this feature. I've programmed each fob, one for me, one for the wife.
I impressed the heck out of my grandson when I approached the car and opened the door, and the seat moved.

I'm surprised that so many are not aware that the seat settings are both stored by the #1 & #2 seat buttons and the corresponding fobs. This was how my 2008 CX9 GT worked. In fact, every new car I've owned in the last 20 yrs.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that so many are not aware that the seat settings are both stored by the #1 & #2 seat buttons and the corresponding fobs.

That's because not many people bother reading the manual.
After I brought my new car home, I took the manual into the house and went through it cover to cover.
I've forgotten a few things since, but I still refer to it from time to time.

The service manager didn't even know that CX-5's had turbos this year.

And...... another Mazda dealer experience that proves that Mazda has a long way to go when it comes to dealer experience.
If Mazda wants to truly increase their reputation and sales, they absolutely need to up their game in this area.
I mean, a Mazda Service Manager that didn't know the CX-5 had a turbo? It's not like Mazda has 25 different models and 10 engine choices to memorize. Really?
It is simply not good enough.

And...... another Mazda dealer experience that proves that Mazda has a long way to go when it comes to dealer experience.
If Mazda wants to truly increase their reputation and sales, they absolutely need to up their game in this area.
I mean, a Mazda Service Manager that didn't know the CX-5 had a turbo? It's not like Mazda has 25 different models and 10 engine choices to memorize. Really?
It is simply not good enough.

You don't know whether to praise the guy for his honesty or judge him for his ignorance.

Also gotta wonder what goes on at that dealership's management level.

Does the 2018 CX5 have this??? I have the buttons on the side of the driver's seat for 2 drivers but do not remember reading about the ability to program the settings with the fob

Does the 2018 CX5 have this??? I have the buttons on the side of the driver's seat for 2 drivers but do not remember reading about the ability to program the settings with the fob
Yes. All memory seat I have seen, including my old 2000 BMW 528i which has 3-driver memory buttons on door panel, can program the seat position on 2 key fobs.

Back