Poll Did you choose the CX-5 over a German SUV?

Did you choose the CX-5 over a German SUV?

• Yes

Votes: 51 64.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I have both

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • In the market and leaning towards the CX-5

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • In the market and leaning towards a German SUV

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That's not a bad tactic.

Not only do you save the $$$ by buying used, but you give the new engine (and I understand new transmission) a couple of years to see if design issues manifest themselves.
Exactly. I'd buy same year CPO, but not a first year model. Never that. I refuse to. The only reasoning I did with my 2019 cx5 gtr is the drivetrain was several years old in the cx9, and doing great.

Sort of repeating myself but the only German BMW SUV you can buy in the US is the X1/X2 and even that may possibly be from the new plant in the Netherlands. Oh, and the RDX is made in Ohio.

I traded in a 2013 Audi Q5 when I bought a 2020 CX 5 Signature. The Audi was a fun well appointed car but service costs were crazy. Three times I had to replace a front rubber boot, part probably cost <$50 but each repair cost ~$1k due to the labor to access the boot to replace. Audi also developed Interior hardware rattles and of course required premium gas. The CX 5 Signature turbo drives Like the Audi, the interior is as nice as the Audi and the electronic sensors / cameras are superior (at least compared to a 2013 Audi.)

I have a 2019 Signature and a 2019 Audi Allroad. I agree with Trygg that interior quality is very close, but for overall driving dynamics the Audi is superior. Adaptive dampers and Drive Select options allow the Audi driver to select their preferred suspenson settings with the push of a button. It's not just marketing hype either, the change in ride quality is dramatic. The Audi is quicker off the line despite the smaller engine, and makes less noise doing so. Steering assist at low speed is another noticeable difference, the Mazda's steering feels heavy at parking lot speeds when the two are driven back-to-back. One other nit to pick is the tailgate operation on the Mazda. It makes enough noise to remind me of an ancient castle's drawbridge opening and closing. The Audi is silent by comparison.

The Mazda excels in the bang-for-the-buck category. It has most, if not all, of the safety and comfort features of the Audi with a $20K less msrp. My Audi is the mid-level Premium Plus model so it has ventilated seats like the Mazda but I would have had to step up another level to get a heads-up display like the CX-5, pushing the msrp north of $60K. The turbo Mazda will happily drink 87 octane, while the Allroad owners manual says you should only use less than premium fuel when the good stuff isn't available. I do my own oil changes so routine maintenance costs between the two is similar. The Audi will be more costly for anything involving the dealership but I'll avoid much of those costs by the simple fact I don't drive it that much. The CX-5 is more of a daily driver and I've put just 5k miles on it in the first year while the Audi has 900 miles after eight months. (I'm hoping to be able to put a higher annual average on both after the current health safety issues are resolved.) Of course, I'll take a much larger hit on the Audi compared to the CX-5 if and when I sell them, but I keep my cars for so long it doesn't really matter. I'm in my early 60's and it's possible these are the last two new cars I'll need to purchase.

Last edited:
We've had Audi's in the past but due to lack of good service at all 3 dealerships near us, we leased a new 2017 CX-5 AWD. The lease ends in a few months so we're looking at CX-5 turbo, Audi Q5 & Infinity (hubby drives a 2009 G37X that's been 100% trouble-free). If we go with Audi or Infiniti, we'll be forced to buy used 2019 with low miles due to cost.

Before we make any decision, we want to drive a Reserve or Signature with the more powerful engine. I'm also not crazy about having shell out again for a remote engine starter that forces a 2nd (ugly) fob. More cons: the heat takes forever in the winter; thin paint as many hood knicks. Truthfully, the car (grand touring) is reliable, with decent bells & whistles, & the price is decent. But we miss the drive & comfort of Audi, but between reliability issues & poor servicing, we are hesitant to go back to Audi.

Infiniti has great reliability, handles great but we haven't looked at them since 2009 so we're clueless about their SUV crossovers. Plus Nissan has tanked financially in recent years, so my hubby is concerned something (higher retail or cheapening the line?) might have taken a hit while they try to recover...Plus, like Audi, they are expensive.

Bottom line - if you have the money and don't mind potential reliability issues, and desire excellent handling & comfort, go with Audi (quattro if in cold climate). If you want a nice, reliable SUV with a lot of offerings at a much cheaper price, then go with the CX-5; you won't be sorry, but if you've ever owned an Audi, you'll feel the difference so if that matters to you...

I traded in a 2013 Audi Q5 when I bought a 2020 CX 5 Signature. The Audi was a fun well appointed car but service costs were crazy. Three times I had to replace a front rubber boot, part probably cost <$50 but each repair cost ~$1k due to the labor to access the boot to replace. Audi also developed Interior hardware rattles and of course required premium gas. The CX 5 Signature turbo drives Like the Audi, the interior is as nice as the Audi and the electronic sensors / cameras are superior (at least compared to a 2013 Audi.)
The difference does matter to us and we find our 2017 Grand Touring CX-5 to feel nothing like the Audi's we previously owned. No comparision, so it's good to hear from someone who has driven both & finds the Signature to feel the same as an Audi. Our lease ends in a couple of months on our 2017 Grand Touring CX-5. (we also got tired of both Audi's endless time in the shop for issues (mostly electrical) & the extreme repair costs! I look forward to finding a dealer near me with one to test drive! So far, none has one, not even a leftover 2019 in either GT Reserve or Signature.

We've had Audi's in the past but due to lack of good service at all 3 dealerships near us, we leased a new 2017 CX-5 AWD. The lease ends in a few months so we're looking at CX-5 turbo, Audi Q5 & Infinity (hubby drives a 2009 G37X that's been 100% trouble-free). If we go with Audi or Infiniti, we'll be forced to buy used 2019 with low miles due to cost.

Before we make any decision, we want to drive a Reserve or Signature with the more powerful engine. I'm also not crazy about having shell out again for a remote engine starter that forces a 2nd (ugly) fob. More cons: the heat takes forever in the winter; thin paint as many hood knicks. Truthfully, the car (grand touring) is reliable, with decent bells & whistles, & the price is decent. But we miss the drive & comfort of Audi, but between reliability issues & poor servicing, we are hesitant to go back to Audi.

Infiniti has great reliability, handles great but we haven't looked at them since 2009 so we're clueless about their SUV crossovers. Plus Nissan has tanked financially in recent years, so my hubby is concerned something (higher retail or cheapening the line?) might have taken a hit while they try to recover...Plus, like Audi, they are expensive.

Bottom line - if you have the money and don't mind potential reliability issues, and desire excellent handling & comfort, go with Audi (quattro if in cold climate). If you want a nice, reliable SUV with a lot of offerings at a much cheaper price, then go with the CX-5; you won't be sorry, but if you've ever owned an Audi, you'll feel the difference so if that matters to you...
Infiniti used to make some very near V6 and V8 crossovers. No more. Now it's this QX slug.

Back