Did I damage my infotainment screen?

Hi! So I’ve literally been looking all over for some solution to my problem. I have a 2018 CX - 5, Touring Trim. I had my car detailed on Sunday, and by Wednesday I noticed my screen looked foggy/cloudy. I wiped it off with a wipe that’s supposedly good for navigation systems and it did nothing to clear the screen. Then I noticed it appears as if the screen was peeling or damaged. I believe the protective coating/anti-glare stuff is coming off. Can this be fixed and about how much would it cost or is this damaged beyond repair? I do have warranty left, but I’m not sure if this is included.
EC9F613E-5698-4A75-8915-0866BE2AB40D.jpeg

UPDATE - My warranty covered a brand new screen. Took about an hour to install.

Last edited:
I would Claim it under warranty, and bring a wipe to the garage, mayby its a general issue
as there is no warning against the use of screen wipes for cleaning

Hmm, I don't know much about this particular vehicle but am wondering: is there a protective plastic that was supposed to be removed at dealer prep but was left on? Does the screen feel like smooth glass or can you dig your nail into it?

Touchscreens on phones are typically a piece of glass in front of a digitizer, which is in front of the LCD. On my Ford Focus, however, the touchscreen is much more matte than a glass screen so this may not apply to vehicle touchscreens. I'm not sure on the CX-5 itself.

I will say that, lately with the ongoing pandemic, I test drove a CX-5 that a dealer had obviously "sanitized" the interior with something that had scratched all the plastic surfaces. I don't know if that would have affected the screen, though.

I believe that is the anti-glare coating (or another coating of some kind) that has deteriorated due to the cleaning agent used by the detailer you took it to. This isn't common knowledge, but most touchscreens in vehicles will likely have this coating. You're only supposed to use a soft cloth and distilled water to clean a modern infotainment screen/display, according to what I've read on a couple of auto detailing forums.

Bring it to a Mazda dealership and see if they will honor a screen replacement under warranty/goodwill. I took a quick look in the owner's manual and I didn't see specific instructions regarding cleaning the screen (there really should be). If Mazda won't do anything about it, you'd have to go after the detailer. They should have known not to use a cleaner for the screen, but they will likely fall on the defense that they were not asked to treat the screen any differently than the rest of the interior.

time to mention screen protectors for the rest of the crowd reading this thread.

from the knowledge sharing document:

Infotainment screen protector
Mazda CX-5 Navigation Screen Protector [2017-2019], TTCR-IIGEN2https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
LFOTPP Mazda CX-5 2017-2019 7 Inch MZD Connect Car Navigation Screen ProtectorGEN2https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
Vtear For Mazda CX5 CX-5 2019 2018 Accessories GPS NavigationGEN2https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32903526804.html

Hmm, I don't know much about this particular vehicle but am wondering: is there a protective plastic that was supposed to be removed at dealer prep but was left on? Does the screen feel like smooth glass or can you dig your nail into it?

Touchscreens on phones are typically a piece of glass in front of a digitizer, which is in front of the LCD. On my Ford Focus, however, the touchscreen is much more matte than a glass screen so this may not apply to vehicle touchscreens. I'm not sure on the CX-5 itself.

I will say that, lately with the ongoing pandemic, I test drove a CX-5 that a dealer had obviously "sanitized" the interior with something that had scratched all the plastic surfaces. I don't know if that would have affected the screen, though.

There is no protective plastic. I’m sure this was removed already. I think whatever probably was sprayed dried and left those marks.

I believe that is the anti-glare coating (or another coating of some kind) that has deteriorated due to the cleaning agent used by the detailer you took it to. This isn't common knowledge, but most touchscreens in vehicles will likely have this coating. You're only supposed to use a soft cloth and distilled water to clean a modern infotainment screen/display, according to what I've read on a couple of auto detailing forums.

Bring it to a Mazda dealership and see if they will honor a screen replacement under warranty/goodwill. I took a quick look in the owner's manual and I didn't see specific instructions regarding cleaning the screen (there really should be). If Mazda won't do anything about it, you'd have to go after the detailer. They should have known not to use a cleaner for the screen, but they will likely fall on the defense that they were not asked to treat the screen any differently than the rest of the interior.

I have an appointment Monday with Mazda to see what can be done.

Anyone with this issue may wish to investigate this company's products.

@OB1 Thanks for that product link.
It looks like the same company has two different online presences. This site uses the same colors / layouts and checkout back-end - for a lower price:

but is it really the same company? Looks like they are using registar masking from godaddy, but I'd say with high confidence this is the same people running two different websites:

It’s the anti glare coating. Just use the same product to remove the rest of the smudge off. It looks fine without the glare coating to be honest. I haven’t installed a screen protector yet as recommended by others but I will post the before and after pic of the screen protector once I apply it.

Trust me. I had the same heart attack as you last month lol.

Attachments

• D5AFADC1-B386-438B-BE74-C710FBBDD4CA.jpeg
    D5AFADC1-B386-438B-BE74-C710FBBDD4CA.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 2,511
  • E3EC6A4D-56DA-4503-9929-83194CC51421.jpeg
    E3EC6A4D-56DA-4503-9929-83194CC51421.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 2,683
It’s the anti glare coating. Just use the same product to remove the rest of the smudge off. It looks fine without the glare coating to be honest. I haven’t installed a screen protector yet as recommended by others but I will post the before and after pic of the screen protector once I apply it.

Trust me. I had the same heart attack as you last month lol.
That would be a good relief if it is just an anti-glare coating.

I would Claim it under warranty, and bring a wipe to the garage, mayby its a general issue
as there is no warning against the use of screen wipes for cleaning

My warranty covered it!

Oh wow I have the same issue with a used 2018 CX-5 I just bought. I don’t know what the previous owner used but mine looks very similar. Any idea of what product you guys used that both caused it and solved it (once you wiped off all the coating)?

Oh wow I have the same issue with a used 2018 CX-5 I just bought. I don’t know what the previous owner used but mine looks very similar. Any idea of what product you guys used that both caused it and solved it (once you wiped off all the coating)?
I used the Meguiar interior cleaner.

Back