Did I damage my infotainment screen?

I posted a before and after picture in this thread! And as someone mentioned, check with your dealer if it’s replaceable under warranty!

thanks - will check with dealer - appt coming up. Seeing this thread gives me hope they might.
If they don’t though - removing the rest of coating is a good option too. And yes, thanks for the pic. I should have been more clear - I meant has there been any detriment to a lack of anti glare coating? Do you notice it performing worse in bright sunlight?

thanks - will check with dealer - appt coming up. Seeing this thread gives me hope they might.
If they don’t though - removing the rest of coating is a good option too. And yes, thanks for the pic. I should have been more clear - I meant has there been any detriment to a lack of anti glare coating? Do you notice it performing worse in bright sunlight?
Oh! Not at all dude! I don’t even see a difference haha. I never have an issue viewing my screen in the sun either.

Go for it. You have nothing to lose at this point.

Oh wow I have the same issue with a used 2018 CX-5 I just bought. I don’t know what the previous owner used but mine looks very similar. Any idea of what product you guys used that both caused it and solved it (once you wiped off all the coating)?
Your warranty should cover it.

This isn't common knowledge, but most touchscreens in vehicles will likely have this coating. You're only supposed to use a soft cloth and distilled water to clean a modern infotainment screen/display, according to what I've read on a couple of auto detailing forums.
That would be the prudent thing to do with any screen--phone, laptop, monitor, TV. Something else that should work is eyeglass cleaner that is designed for plastic lenses with protective coatings. I've used it on my laptop and iPad with no issues. It's water with what looks like a little mild detergent. When you shake the bottle it foams a bit. Comes in a spritz bottle. Always a microfiber. Never household glass cleaner or auto glass cleaner for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update: dealer today took a look at it approved a warranty replacement. They mentioned they had no idea of what could have caused it but also said they’d seen quite a few ruined screens because of disposable cleaning cloths being used them. It’ll be at least 10 days before the get the screen shipped (it doesn’t come from Mazda, it comes from the manufacturer) but it’ll eventually get done. Thanks for everyone’s help and comments here.

It’s the anti glare coating. Just use the same product to remove the rest of the smudge off. It looks fine without the glare coating to be honest. I haven’t installed a screen protector yet as recommended by others but I will post the before and after pic of the screen protector once I apply it.

Trust me. I had the same heart attack as you last month lol.
Was it easy to remove? The anti glare coating...I have a similar issue with my Mazda 3 with the 8.8” screen though it looked more like a bubble on 1 side top left corner has formed. I think the dealership used cleaning solution to wipe and sanitize the car prior to delivery hence caused the issue. Now I have to bring the car back to dealership to make a warranty claim (only had car new for a week)! I tried peeling off the coating using a fingernail on one corner and it’s not peeling off easily (it’s like bits & pieces only coming off)!

@tekbis ... 1 week old brand new car? Take that back to dealer and ask them to make it right.

I’ve seen a lot of folks get a free warranty replacement. I’m honestly happy with my results after scrubbing it off with my interior cleaner.

I’ve seen a lot of folks get a free warranty replacement. I’m honestly happy with my results after scrubbing it off with my interior cleaner.
Is this after they’ve replaced your screen with a new one? I assume the new screen is also coated with anti glare - right? I honestly don’t use any cleaner for wiping off the screen even on my previous Mazda 6 and my current CX-9 as even if these have touchscreens I hate having finger prints and smudges on them (always use the rotary knob).

I only use a soft microfiber and water to clean fingerprints/smudges. I personally NEVER use the touchscreen, but for whatever reason, the dealer tech's always insist on using it to reset my oil interval setting. It's rather annoying, but takes a few seconds to clean off.

I believe that is the anti-glare coating (or another coating of some kind) that has deteriorated due to the cleaning agent used by the detailer you took it to. This isn't common knowledge, but most touchscreens in vehicles will likely have this coating. You're only supposed to use a soft cloth and distilled water to clean a modern infotainment screen/display, acc

Not common knowledge? How about common sense! These are the same people that use household cleaners on their televisions as computer monitors!

Not common knowledge? How about common sense! These are the same people that use household cleaners on their televisions as computer monitors!

Again, a lot of people just don't know. They're probably just used to cleaning glass screens on their CRTs or their plasmas. I used to sell home theater at a big box store, and this was such a common issue that we even sold "special screen cleaning solution".

It’s the anti glare coating. Just use the same product to remove the rest of the smudge off. It looks fine without the glare coating to be honest. I haven’t installed a screen protector yet as recommended by others but I will post the before and after pic of the screen protector once I apply it.

Trust me. I had the same heart attack as you last month lol.
@dvuon I have the same issue. How exactly did you remove the smudges?

Hi! So I’ve literally been looking all over for some solution to my problem. I have a 2018 CX - 5, Touring Trim. I had my car detailed on Sunday, and by Wednesday I noticed my screen looked foggy/cloudy. I wiped it off with a wipe that’s supposedly good for navigation systems and it did nothing to clear the screen. Then I noticed it appears as if the screen was peeling or damaged. I believe the protective coating/anti-glare stuff is coming off. Can this be fixed and about how much would it cost or is this damaged beyond repair? I do have warranty left, but I’m not sure if this is included. View attachment 226151

UPDATE - My warranty covered a brand new screen. Took about an hour to install.
Hi , May I ask under which warranty was it covered? I’m having the same issue in my 2019 cx5 . What was the process you went through with the dealer ?

Hi , May I ask under which warranty was it covered? I’m having the same issue in my 2019 cx5 . What was the process you went through with the dealer ?
Hi! I just called my local Mazda dealership and once I got there they checked out my screen and ordered a new one once they saw I still had warranty. You have a 2019 so you should still have car warranty unless you went over the mileage or something. The whole process took like 5 minutes literally.

Hi! So I’ve literally been looking all over for some solution to my problem. I have a 2018 CX - 5, Touring Trim. I had my car detailed on Sunday, and by Wednesday I noticed my screen looked foggy/cloudy. I wiped it off with a wipe that’s supposedly good for navigation systems and it did nothing to clear the screen. Then I noticed it appears as if the screen was peeling or damaged. I believe the protective coating/anti-glare stuff is coming off. Can this be fixed and about how much would it cost or is this damaged beyond repair? I do have warranty left, but I’m not sure if this is included. View attachment 226151

UPDATE - My warranty covered a brand new screen. Took about an hour to install.
I own 2017 CX-5 Grand touring and my infotainment looked awful. I didn't know what caused the imperfections on the screen but I found out the antiglare protection was fading and made the screen looked horrible. After spending so much time researching how to remove the coating. I found the solution and I was able to fix my screen in 5 minutes.
The solution to remove the anti-glare coating is the regular Lysol wipes. Just gently wipe the screen for about 5 minutes (circular motion) and clean and dry with a microfiber cloth, you'll be surprised! Mazda dealer coated me over $1000 to replace the screen, they called it damaged screen. Anyways, if you are worried about glare later, buy and install an anti-glare screen protector from Amazon for $12 but you don't really have to. I hope my experience helps the other Mazda owners.

Hello folks, just wanted to add my experience here.

I had the same issue after getting a 2018 Sport Nav - only noticed it when driving home, I thought it was just smearing from when they got it ready for me to collect.

Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 11.34.06.jpg

When I got home I used a microfibre cloth but it made no difference. I booked it in to be checked this morning and when I went to pick it up was told that they think it was some cleaning solution which had been put on the screen during valeting, which shouldn't have been done.

They managed to remove the 'bubbling' marks by using a little washing up liquid and slowly rubbing it into the screen. Its removed all the marks, although I can't tell if all its done is remove the anti-glare coating or the liquid.

Either way, it looks good as new now - only took them about 15 mins to sort out.

Hope that helps someone!

Back