Did I damage my infotainment screen?

^ Update - looks like it took the anti-glare coating off. When there's nobody in the passenger seat the display is fine, but if the passenger has a light coloured top on you can barely see the screen.

Going to grab an anti-glare screen protector and see if that improves things.

I
It’s the anti glare coating. Just use the same product to remove the rest of the smudge off. It looks fine without the glare coating to be honest. I haven’t installed a screen protector yet as recommended by others but I will post the before and after pic of the screen protector once I apply it.

Trust me. I had the same heart attack as you last month lol.
Just had this happen today, what product did you use out of curiosity. I have been cleaning this 2018 the same way for years. I believe something was on the cloth that I thought was clean.

I bought a used CX-5 with the same issue on the infotainment screen. I used white vinegar and a micro-fiber towel and it cleaned it off real nice! Looks brand new now!

1630267085465.png

Hi! So I’ve literally been looking all over for some solution to my problem. I have a 2018 CX - 5, Touring Trim. I had my car detailed on Sunday, and by Wednesday I noticed my screen looked foggy/cloudy. I wiped it off with a wipe that’s supposedly good for navigation systems and it did nothing to clear the screen. Then I noticed it appears as if the screen was peeling or damaged. I believe the protective coating/anti-glare stuff is coming off. Can this be fixed and about how much would it cost or is this damaged beyond repair? I do have warranty left, but I’m not sure if this is included. View attachment 226151

UPDATE - My warranty covered a brand new screen. Took about an hour to install.
@mazzy2233 What warranty covered your replacement?

Just an update: dealer today took a look at it approved a warranty replacement. They mentioned they had no idea of what could have caused it but also said they’d seen quite a few ruined screens because of disposable cleaning cloths being used them. It’ll be at least 10 days before the get the screen shipped (it doesn’t come from Mazda, it comes from the manufacturer) but it’ll eventually get done. Thanks for everyone’s help and comments here.
@habs247 what warranty covered your replacement? Did they say?

It’s the anti glare coating. Just use the same product to remove the rest of the smudge off. It looks fine without the glare coating to be honest. I haven’t installed a screen protector yet as recommended by others but I will post the before and after pic of the screen protector once I apply it.

Trust me. I had the same heart attack as you last month lol.
What did you use to get the rest off and so clean?

Old thread, but Mazda recently put TSB for this issue, in case this post comes up in search.

Attachments

• TSB 09-003-22.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 556
I posted a before and after picture in this thread! And as someone mentioned, check with your dealer if it’s replaceable under warranty!
Had the same happen to me, screen looked horrible. I decided to try the suggestion posted by dvuon, it looks much better!

Oh wow I have the same issue with a used 2018 CX-5 I just bought. I don’t know what the previous owner used but mine looks very similar. Any idea of what product you guys used that both caused it and solved it (once you wiped off all the coating)?
I followed the advice in this thread: Anti-glare coating coming off infotainment screen (My detailer stained/damaged the anti-glare coating) so I used white distilled vinegar and a microfiber cloth to remove the rest of the damaged coating, finished with window cleaner/paper towel and a lense cleaner cloth ~10 minutes. It's not as shiny, it's a smidge dull, but I plan on buying a screen protector film.

As far as cleaning screens (car, phone, PC, TV, whatnot) I recommend using eyeglass lens cleaner solution.

About $3 for 8 oz. of Walmart's Equate version, or pay a little more for Zeiss (maker of high end camera lenses) or another name brand, but I haven't seen any difference between them. These bottles spray a fine mist. Best not to spray directly on a small screen or near the edge of a larger one to prevent moisture penetrating the frame. Dampen a microfiber or lens cloth instead.

The Equate stuff is alcohol-free, claims to be safe for coated lenses (I've had no problems with coated eyeglass lens) contains deionized water and butoxyethanol, whatever that is. Same main ingredient in the Zeiss, but that one also has "proprietary detergents and preservatives."

Cleaning a large screen TV this way? That will take some time. It it has been some years you might be surprised the amount of brown crud that comes off.

Back