Dealer Installed Remote Starter

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
Hey all,

Part of the negotiations with my dealer included a remote starter for my 2019 CX-5 GTR. I didn't think to ask what brand or OEM remote starter they were installing as I've never had one before. Short of calling the dealer, how do I find the brand or model of the remote start? It uses the OEM key fob and the button sequence is LOCK, UNLOCK, LOCK.

Thanks!

could be either fortin or compustar...it's great they installed the aftermarket remote starter and not the oem version...btw you can also add dronemobile to your remote starter so you can remote start with your smart watch or smart phone and be able to track and enable and program aux functions.

there are 2 oem options:
1) huge mazda remote start KEYFOB that's attached to your original keyfob, dead giveaway
or
2) you can only remote start using the mazda mobile start app.

since you have neither of these 2 and you can remote start using only the original oem keyfob, you definitely have aftermarket.
Mazda remote start doesn't have the ability to remote start using just the oem keyfob, and i'm sure with the system you have, the engine doesn't shut down once you open the door, correct?
Mazda remote start shuts the engine down as soon as the door opens, which renders it useless.

Btw how do we know its aftermarket and not OEM?

there are 2 oem options:
1) huge mazda remote start KEYFOB that's attached to your original keyfob, dead giveaway
or

since you have neither of these 2 and you can remote start using only the original oem keyfob, you definitely have aftermarket.
Mazda remote start doesn't have the ability to remote start using just the oem keyfob, and i'm sure with the system you have, the engine doesn't shut down once you open the door, correct?
Mazda remote start shuts the engine down as soon as the door opens, which renders it useless.

Ah good to know. Its definitely aftermarket then. When I open the door the car stays on and I have to press the brake to wake the infotainment screen and the climate control restarts.

I sent an email to my dealer to ask what model/brand remote start they installed so I can see about using companion apps and features. Thanks again for your help!

Well then I don't think it's the Fortin. If you get in and press the brake with ours, it turns the engine off (you have to press the start button before the brake, to keep the engine running).

Ah good to know. Its definitely aftermarket then. When I open the door the car stays on and I have to press the brake to wake the infotainment screen and the climate control restarts.
I have a Compustar remote starter, and it operates as you describe.

All the dealers in my area will install aftermarket RS and have been doing that for at least 4 years.
Well, 2 of the 5 dealers that I am sure of, but I have no doubt the rest will.
Yes... 5 dealers.
#MazdaCountry

I got an email back from the dealer, its a Compustar. Didn't get a model number though. Gotta look into this DroneMobile system.

Edit: I'm prob not gonna wait for him to get back to me on the serial/model, anyone know where they usually install the module? Looks like under the steering column but i dont wanna start taking random things apart.

Last edited:
there are 2 oem options:
or

I have installed remote start by dealer . But i found it useless ,
1. Engine shuts off when you open the door
2. The climate control doesn't turn on automatically when you turn on using the remote start.

i am thinking i have wasted 450$ just for nothing. when its doesn't do much? I asked my dealer about what brand they use for the remote start he said doesn't know :-(

My other infinti car has remote starter installed which doesnt turn off when u open the door and also the climate control starts if you left on before turning off the engine. All i need to do is just press the break pedal once in.

I have installed remote start by dealer . But i found it useless ,
yup i definitely know how you feel,
luckily for me, my dealer was able to give me a refund on mine when i had it on my previous gen mazda3. After that experience, i realized I won't be using the mazda mobile start on my current Cx-5. I went with compustar with dronemobile added on..I've been very very happy with the set up and the price is comparable to mazda's. But i do see that the newer remote start system used for the cx-30 seems to be a lot better. I just don't understand why the engine has to turn off when you open the door on the OEM set up...so useless. "some" people feel that it's a security measure, but honestly they are clueless to how other systems are supposed to actually work =) For example on the compustar system, the engine stays on for 45secs after you open the door, within that time you need to press the brakes to perform a "secure takeover" which can only be done with your car's keyfob near you, if not, the engine will die, not to mention the car's doors stay locked until you unlock to enter..

Back