Daytime running lights dim/flickering

2016 CX5 GT with 55kmi, last November passenger side DRL got dim and flickering, then driver side started also, not long after one side went completely out followed by the other.

Called Mazda, got a case number, went to local dealer got an estimate $1400 for parts + $250 labor... called Mazda back with estimate, they called me back 3 days later saying they pay for parts and I pay for labor...

Just got the car back and new "J" headlights are installed. Slightly different look but good enough.

Curious how the look different.

Curious how the look different.
Here you go:
Yep the accent DRL on these J version CX-5 LED headlights definitely is much less bright than original version. The style looks the same, but the LED light source has changed from single or two brighter LEDs transfering the light through fiber optics to dot-matrix LEDs positioned directly along the light strip.

I prefer smooth fiber-optic style LED DRL too which looks much more sophisticated and costs more to make. Dot-matrix style LED light simply put basic round LEDs along the light strip which looks cheap.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 218824View attachment 218825View attachment 218826View attachment 218827

My left hand side DRL is flickering now and busy going. Factory warranty has finished May last year, but I took a warranty with a 3rd party cover. Doubt they going to replace it for free.

Going to dealer tomorrow and see what they say

$250 for labor - just for swapping out headlights? Ouch.
These aren't ordinary headlights.
I'm more surprised tzr916 was quoted $1,400 for parts for BOTH lights. It used to be $1,300 for ONE. Prices have apparently come WAY down for the 'full price'.

Hey everyone. I haven't been around for awhile although I check in now and then. I'm happy Mazda has finally been made to recall these lights. My drivers side DRL has been out for a year or so. I've just been driving with my headlights on as I wasn't going to pay Mazda's price to replace the units.

It's always been a safety issue. To take this long to get here is very "corporate" of you Mazda.

I have a 2016 cx-5 GT. My VIN isn't showing up on the recall database in canada. I tried using VIN from cars for sale online, I couldn't find the recall for any of the cars. Does the recall show up for anyone in Canada?

I am in the UK and both DRL failed on my 2015 CX-5 in the last couple of weeks. Being asked to pay £1300 GBP to replace both headlight assemblys.

Spoke to Mazda UK customer relations today and told them about the recall in US and Canada but he just told me that there is no recall currently for my vehicle. Has advised me to take it to my local Mazda dealership for the issue to be diagnosed but I am not feeling very confident they're going to help :-(

I guess they will tell me that the US recall has no bearing on UK models. Any advise would be appreciated..

I have one DRL out completely. The other is fine. So, I'm assuming only the faulty light will get replaced. If as noted in a post above, the new version isn't as bright as the original, isn't that in itself a safety issue?

Just in case this helps anyone else in the UK - Mazda paid for the repairs in full even though I am out of warranty
Good for you!

Was this assistance from Mazda or from the dealer? You mentioned before that you were not optimistic.

Last edited:
Just got my official recall notice in the mail. Now to schedule the repair with the local dealer.
Going to Flow? I was just there yesterday. The scheduler told me to pick my day & time...their calendar is completely open. They're desperately trying to keep their guys busy due to the virus issue. Should be able to get you in & out quickly.

Back