Daytime running lights dim/flickering

:
2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package
I was driving behind a recently-waxed black Silverado and noticed my driver-side DRL is very dim compared to the passenger-side. I checked it out at home and found the driver-side DRL is very dim and also flickering, while the passenger-side is very bright and steady. Since the car is covered under warranty, I took it to the Mazda stealer. They said the entire LED headlight module will have to be replaced under warranty and asked me to come back in a week so that they can order and receive the parts before the appointment.

Have any of you had this problem? I really like the LED lights and thought the tech package was a steal for the price. But if it fails so soon and if I have to replace the whole module whenever there's a failure, I am concerned.

⋯ Have any of you had this problem? I really like the LED lights and thought the tech package was a steal for the price. But if it fails so soon and if I have to replace the whole module whenever there's a failure, I am concerned.
I've seen some people said their section of LED DRLs failed and the whole LED headlight unit got replaced. Yours is the symptom before failing. Well, it's Mazda and they don't offer the best quality and reliability from Japan. To me, Mazda's quality and reliability are hit and miss. Sometimes we'll see a batch of bad parts causing problems - i.e. certain batch of failed SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmissions assembled in 2015. I wouldn't be worried too much on our CX-5 LED headlights as they should show symptom before 3 years or 36,000 miles if any of the electronic components in LED headlights is inferior. And in theory, good quality LED lighting should last for the life of the vehicle! :)

My 2016 CX5 just had the same issue as you described on the driver side. The LED DRL is really dim and is flickering. I brought it in once and the tech said he could not reproduce the issue; had to take the tech to the car to show them. They opened a ticket to Mazda Canada. Dealer called me back and said they needed half a day to run tests on the headlight. If they find out the headlight is bad, they'll need to replace the entire unit, which means I have to pay them a third visit. Currently sitting around 35k km.

I am having the same problem right now on my 2016 CX-5. The passenger-side DLR is dim/flickering. The dealership told me it was a short in the electronics, but since they only sell the headlight assembly as a sealed unit, I have to replace the whole thing. Oh, and bonus - I'm at 44000 miles, so it's not covered under warranty, nor will my extended warranty cover it since it's part of the headlight unit. Looks like I'm about to be out of $1200 just to get a headlight replaced!

I hate to think I'd have to get rid of my CX5 over a stupid headlight or DRL, but its become a reality. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't end up being the case. You'd think replacement units would come down in price at some point considering the big financial hit.

I never had to replace a single bulb in my 2001 4Runner or 2005 Mazda 6. Both of which were owned for ~10 years.

For those of you having issues, are these the original stock units from 2016s? Or are they the replacements for the headlight units that got cloudy?

I hate to think I'd have to get rid of my CX5 over a stupid headlight or DRL, but its become a reality. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't end up being the case. You'd think replacement units would come down in price at some point considering the big financial hit.

I never had to replace a single bulb in my 2001 4Runner or 2005 Mazda 6. Both of which were owned for ~10 years.

For those of you having issues, are these the original stock units from 2016s? Or are they the replacements for the headlight units that got cloudy?

Factory headlights for me.

I am having the same problem right now on my 2016 CX-5. The passenger-side DLR is dim/flickering. The dealership told me it was a short in the electronics, but since they only sell the headlight assembly as a sealed unit, I have to replace the whole thing. Oh, and bonus - I'm at 44000 miles, so it's not covered under warranty, nor will my extended warranty cover it since it's part of the headlight unit. Looks like I'm about to be out of $1200 just to get a headlight replaced!
If I were you without bumper-to-bumper warranty, I'd call Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations and seek some help as a gesture of goodwill about failing LED headlight before I spend $1,200.

I saw a CX-5 with OEM headlights the other with one side dim and other side bright, thought it was normal since the side that was dim also had the turn signal on......sort of like Audi's when they turn that side DRL is turned off, I guess I was wrong

$1200 seems excessive to replace one light, that's more than the whole OEM LED package itself ($1100 if I recall correctly for LED headlights, LED foglights and LED tailights). It's really not that hard to replace the headlight yourself and save some money, you can get a new LED unit off eBay or even an aftermarket JDM set for a lot cheaper than dealer. The front bumper will need to come off though to get to the mounting bolts, there's a youtube video on how to remove the front bumper.

offtopic: just out of curiousity, for those with OEM LED's headlight units, what bulb does it use for high beams ? regular halogen 9005 or is it mechanical shutters on the LED projector ?

Last edited:
Same here. Factory LED lights.

Factory headlights for me.

Yes, I understand they're factory installed LED headlights. But a decent number of us have already had our Factory Tech package LED headlights replaced once under warranty for clouding. I'm wondering if folks who are having these dimming issues have had their LED headlights replaced once before. It could just simply be a bad batch of lights, or it could be more problematic and widespread.

I wouldn't be worried too much on our CX-5 LED headlights as they should show symptom before 3 years or 36,000 miles if any of the electronic components in LED headlights is inferior. And in theory, good quality LED lighting should last for the life of the vehicle! :)

Stanley of Japan made the HID units for Mazda's and are known to be of good quality. I'm not sure who makes the LED units for Mazda but I wouldn't be surprised if its Stanley. Keep in mind Stanley makes HID units for Honda/Acura (example TSX, s2000) which were highly sought after for their high output and sharp cutoff lens. OEM issued LEDs usually have a lower failure rate than aftermarket ones. But failures are to be expected somehow someway. If not eventually. I think whats important for us with LED daytime running lights is how can we access to change the LED bulbs? Perhaps someone will provide instructions. Beats paying top dollar to replace a perfectly working unit but with flickering LED daytime light bulbs.

............. I think whats important for us with LED daytime running lights is how can we access to change the LED bulbs? Perhaps someone will provide instructions. Beats paying top dollar to replace a perfectly working unit but with flickering LED daytime light bulbs.

this is impossible, the LED chips are soldered to custom printed circuit boards and then assembled into the housing, it's not like the interior dome lights where you can just pop them in,

when you get a chance take a look at the backside of LED tailights from the trunk area by removing the access panel. you'll just see wires coming out of the housing, no way to replace the LED if they fail.

and I'm 100% positive it's not the LED chips that are failing, in theory LED chips can last a very very long time. it's the control board circuitry that is the problem and causing the dimming and flickering

LED chips are actually very basic and reliable but there's a whole host of components that drives them,
LED drivers, voltage regulators, capacitors, resistors, etc.) if any one of those fail, it's very hard to troubleshoot......

just look at Figure 1 (typical halogen schematic) vs Figure 2 (typical LED schematic) in this link and you'll understand:

http://www.electronics-eetimes.com/news/big-lie-about-led-lighting

I've seen LED's fail far sooner than cheap halogens

Last edited:
Yes, I understand they're factory installed LED headlights. But a decent number of us have already had our Factory Tech package LED headlights replaced once under warranty for clouding. I'm wondering if folks who are having these dimming issues have had their LED headlights replaced once before. It could just simply be a bad batch of lights, or it could be more problematic and widespread.
Sorry I meant that they were the original headlights I got when I purchased the car. I never had clouding issues with them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

this is impossible, the LED chips are soldered to custom printed circuit boards and then assembled into the housing, it's not like the interior dome lights where you can just pop them in,

when you get a chance take a look at the backside of LED tailights from the trunk area by removing the access panel. you'll just see wires coming out of the housing, no way to replace the LED if they fail.

and I'm 100% positive it's not the LED chips that are failing, in theory LED chips can last a very very long time. it's the control board circuitry that is the problem and causing the dimming and flickering

LED chips are actually very basic and reliable but there's a whole host of components that drives them,
LED drivers, voltage regulators, capacitors, resistors, etc.) if any one of those fail, it's very hard to troubleshoot......

just look at Figure 1 (typical halogen schematic) vs Figure 2 (typical LED schematic) in this link and you'll understand:

http://www.electronics-eetimes.com/news/big-lie-about-led-lighting

I've seen LED's fail far sooner than cheap halogens

Mazda's housing for their LED halos look similar to BMW's Angel Eyes housing where a single (or few) bright LEDs are used to light up the whole halo as opposed to Audi's many dotted LEDs. Can you confirm MAzda's LED Daytime lights don't use replaceable LED bulbs? Here are links to H8 LED replacement bulbs for BMW Angel Eyes and forum discussing Cree LED replacement before/after.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...h8-bmw-cree-led-40-watt-equivalent/2638/5758/

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951698

That said I know BMW's Angel Eyes do have their own flickering characteristics as well. As designed (upon start up light check) and as electrical errors.

Last edited:
$1200 seems excessive to replace one light, that's more than the whole OEM LED package itself ($1100 if I recall correctly for LED headlights, LED foglights and LED tailights). It's really not that hard to replace the headlight yourself and save some money, you can get a new LED unit off eBay or even an aftermarket JDM set for a lot cheaper than dealer. The front bumper will need to come off though to get to the mounting bolts, there's a youtube video on how to remove the front bumper.

offtopic: just out of curiousity, for those with OEM LED's headlight units, what bulb does it use for high beams ? regular halogen 9005 or is it mechanical shutters on the LED projector ?
The single OEM unit on LED headlight is $1,250 list. There're not many cheaper options available at this time. Unless you can do component-lever fix to the printed circuit board, there's no easy way to repair our LED headlight. Like astriuminc said, I believe these LEDs are surface-mounted and soldered on the PC board and they're not easy to be repaired. And most likely it's other electronic components which causes DRL LEDs dim and flickering.

The high-beam on CX-5's LED headlight uses separate LED and reflector independent to low-beam LED and projector.

Mazda's housing for their LED halos look similar to BMW's Angel Eyes housing where a single (or few) bright LEDs are used to light up the whole halo as opposed to Audi's many dotted LEDs. Can you confirm MAzda's LED Daytime lights don't use replaceable LED bulbs? Here are links to H8 LED replacement bulbs for BMW Angel Eyes and forum discussing Cree LED replacement before/after.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...h8-bmw-cree-led-40-watt-equivalent/2638/5758/

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951698

That said I know BMW's Angel Eyes do have their own flickering characteristics as well. As designed (upon start up light check) and as electrical errors.
Our 2000 BMW 528i just missed Angel-Eye headlights which started in 2001 MY that makes me regret not waiting for one more year! But the Angel-Eye uses H8 bulb and tubes the light to the round Angel-Eye. On the other hand, our CX-5, although looks similar, uses LEDs for the DRLs which is a totally different design.

Our 2000 BMW 528i just missed Angel-Eye headlights which started in 2001 MY that makes me regret not waiting for one more year! But the Angel-Eye uses H8 bulb and tubes the light to the round Angel-Eye. On the other hand, our CX-5, although looks similar, uses LEDs for the DRLs which is a totally different design.

Yeah I double checked with www.superbrightleds.com and it says the Mazda's LEDs both low beam and daytime lights are not user replaceable which sucks. Crossing fingers that if any problems arise it would be during warranty period. That said no problems here. I'm also on Mazda6 club and there's really no reports of LED issues there as well.

Outside of warranty period there's no way I'm spending $1g on new headlights though. My lights will be sent off to a reputable headlight retrofit shop to be opened up and retrofitted to meet my daytime running light needs.

The single OEM unit on LED headlight is $1,250 list. There are not many cheaper options available at this time.

wow, you're right, I can't believe they are that expensive !!!!

Parts Numbers:
- K070-51-031C (LED Headlight Right Side)
- K070-51-041C (LED Headlight Left Side)
AFS (Adaptive Front lighting System)

I forgot they have AFS with the swiveling headlights to focus around turns....

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

then that whole $1100 LED tech package (LED headlights foglights, tailights) is a freaking bargain unless it turns out you have to spend $2400 every year after warranty runs out to replace headlights units, then it's a money pit.....

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

the adaptive LED type overseas are even more expensive !! LED's turn on and off depending on conditions.

one YouTube comment:
"anyway to activate ALH in an American model? All the stuff is there but is disabled in the computer." Is this true ???

Parts Number

- K071-51-031C (LED Headlight Right Side)
- K071-51-041C (LED Headlight Left Side)
ALH (Adaptive LED Headlight)

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Back