Daytime running lights dim/flickering

I would consult with a reputable vendor to see if they can have the Daytime LEDs be user replaceable or have them conduct repairs with warranty. Much much cheaper than buying new headlight assemblies. Such vendors are becoming more popular too. There's a growing market for creating/repairing complex headlight systems.

Outside of the luxury realm, I just can't fathom how auto manufacturers are expecting everyday folks to pony up so much $$ for headlight replacements when they do end up failing. Excluding this forum, I've never seen an article where anyone discusses the cost to replace these new style lights post warranty. We're probably talking $1,500 with labor for a single front unit. I never got to see the itemized bill when I had my LED headlights replaced due to the cloudiness, but $2,500 plus labor is about 10% of the cost of a whole new GT with Tech.

A few years back I got rid of my 4Runner with only 100k miles because I didn't want to replace the rear differential.

Like CX-5um has mentioned, these lights will probably create a whole new cottage industry.

Is my led headlight capable of switching off segments of leds, or is that a different headlight used for the adaptive system?

Is my led headlight capable of switching off segments of leds, or is that a different headlight used for the adaptive system?

I think it's different unless you can see a four block high beam LED array next to your low beams, it's only available in certain markets and countries, not available in USA, USA market uses AFS technology

the ALH has an high beam LED array and needs camera input per Mazda website:

ALH’s high-beam headlights consist of an LED array divided into four blocks, each of which can be switched on and off independently. Using a windscreen-mounted camera to detect other vehicles’ headlights and tail lamps, the system temporarily dims individual LED blocks to control the area illumination and avoid dazzling other drivers. Glare-free High Beams provide the bright illumination and excellent visibility of traditional high-beams at all times, even when passing oncoming traffic. The system operates at speeds above 40 km/h.

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/active_safety/alh/

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

AFS uses low beams and steering wheel angle to determine where to swivel the headlights:

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/active_safety/afs/

Last edited:
Dealer did an inspection again and confirmed the entire assembly will have to be replaced. I'm at 21k miles and covered under warranty. If that wasn't the case, would have to shell out $1500+ for parts and labor. WTF!

Ok thanks.

I think it's different unless you can see a four block high beam LED array next to your low beams, it's only available in certain markets and countries, not available in USA, USA market uses AFS technology

the ALH has an high beam LED array and needs camera input per Mazda website:

ALH’s high-beam headlights consist of an LED array divided into four blocks, each of which can be switched on and off independently. Using a windscreen-mounted camera to detect other vehicles’ headlights and tail lamps, the system temporarily dims individual LED blocks to control the area illumination and avoid dazzling other drivers. Glare-free High Beams provide the bright illumination and excellent visibility of traditional high-beams at all times, even when passing oncoming traffic. The system operates at speeds above 40 km/h.

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/active_safety/alh/

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

AFS uses low beams and steering wheel angle to determine where to swivel the headlights:

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/active_safety/afs/

wow, you're right, I can't believe they are that expensive !!!!
Parts Numbers:
- K070-51-031C (LED Headlight Right Side)
- K070-51-041C (LED Headlight Left Side)
AFS (Adaptive Front lighting System)
I forgot they have AFS with the swiveling headlights to focus around turns....
then that whole $1100 LED tech package (LED headlights foglights, tailights) is a freaking bargain unless it turns out you have to spend $2400 every year after warranty runs out to replace headlights units, then it's a money pit.....
Yeah, the Tech Package is a barging and that's why I always recommend getting Tech Package during the new car purchase if one wants the brighter LED headlights and cool LED DRLs, and don't even think about trying to convert them later!

Unfortunately Mazda's quality and reliability are not the best from Japan. These different issues many people have encountered so far on CX-5's LED headlights are the evidence of just that.

the adaptive LED type overseas are even more expensive !! LED's turn on and off depending on conditions.
one YouTube comment:
"anyway to activate ALH in an American model? All the stuff is there but is disabled in the computer." Is this true ???
No, we have simpler mechanical mechanism on Auto-Leveling and AFS with motors turning the projectors up-and-down and left-and-right. But other regions have ALH which uses array of LEDs aiming at different directions (not just low and high beams!) and controlled by the electronic module for on-and-off on appropriate sections automatically based on the analysis of the image from Forward Sensing Camera on the windshield. ALH can turn some of the middle section LEDs off automatically when you're following a car and not to blind the driver at front. There's no mechanical moving parts so in theory they should last forever.

No. there's nothing in US spec CX-5 that is even close to the ALH. They're completely different system. Not to mention any possibility of turning the ALH or similar function on! That's simply a pipe dream! (boom08)

Someone from UK had said that ALH is a 800 option, so you can check your window sticker and verify.

It is an extra on a new car, part of a package, but i don't think it's available retrospectively, and i would only want the ALH, not the rest.

For $1200 I think I would mount a couple of snow plow headlights on a bar mounted in front of the grill. Then I would take some good pictures and post them at the dealer and send them to Mazda North America. I might even park the car at the dealers on Saterdays

It might not get me any help from Mazda but I would have headlights, and feel better.

For $1200 I think I would mount a couple of snow plow headlights on a bar mounted in front of the grill. Then I would take some good pictures and post them at the dealer and send them to Mazda North America. I might even park the car at the dealers on Saterdays

It might not get me any help from Mazda but I would have headlights, and feel better.

Well, $1200 is only for parts. With labor, it'll be $1500+ (wow)

my driver side LED DRL (not the headlight portion) just started going dim/flickering yesterday.....looks like i'm headed for the dealer for warranty replacement (sigh)....

I know LEDs can have issues in cold weather until they get warmed up...........then again Arunka is in Houston, TX.

my driver side LED DRL (not the headlight portion) just started going dim/flickering yesterday.....looks like i'm headed for the dealer for warranty replacement (sigh)....

whoa, that's like four 2016's with faulty LED DRL's already...... at least they're all still under warranty, but seems like a high failure rate all of a sudden, could it be cold weather ?

whoa, that's like four 2016's with faulty LED DRL's already...... at least they're all still under warranty, but seems like a high failure rate all of a sudden, could it be cold weather ?

i dunno...it worked fine during last year's winter.

I know LEDs can have issues in cold weather until they get warmed up...........then again Arunka is in Houston, TX.

i'm in NJ where it is 50-70 degrees today (and yesterday)....i don't think this is temp related.

i'm in NJ where it is 50-70 degrees today (and yesterday)....i don't think this is temp related.

Likely electrical related. How much miles do you guys have on your CX-5? I just don't see many issues researching the Internet in Mazda6's in terms of lenses being cloudy and in terms of LEDs flickering. Shoot even Mazda3's and CX-3's. The CX-5's seem to be getting bad batches :(

....wait a minute I wonder if the two issues are related? Didn't some folks report moisture in there lenses? If so the moisture could give the LED electronic boards some gremlins?

Last edited:
Stanley of Japan made the HID units for Mazda's and are known to be of good quality. I'm not sure who makes the LED units for Mazda but I wouldn't be surprised if its Stanley. Keep in mind Stanley makes HID units for Honda/Acura (example TSX, s2000) which were highly sought after for their high output and sharp cutoff lens. OEM issued LEDs usually have a lower failure rate than aftermarket ones. But failures are to be expected somehow someway. If not eventually.
Checked my LED headlight lenses and they have the following imprint:

Driver side:

DRL DOT VOR
SAE HLAI5PP2 DRL 13
U STANLEY W2416 L

Passenger side:

DOT VOR DRL
SAE HLAI5PP2 DRL 13
L STANLEY W2416 U

So our LED headlights are made by Stanley.

Unfortunately while I was looking at those fine print closely, I saw some stains forming inside of the lens around the lower part! I guess my LED headlights from factory can't escape the curse and eventually need to get replaced according to TSB! :(

Back