Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and Mazda6 models

It might be interesting to know that the affected VIN's are specified:

JMZ KFGWMA ** 624741-751439. It concerns vehicles manufactured from june, 20, 2017 to may, 29, 2018.

As per RB R034/18A.

These vehicles should be updated via the Mazda Diagnostics Module (M-MDS); this FW update of the PCM should be = or > than IDS 110.05. Which, BTW, you cannot do yourself.

Just ask your dealer - like I did: my car was updated within 48 hrs; update took some 15 mins.

JMZ KFGWMA ** 624741-751439. It concerns vehicles manufactured from june, 20, 2017 to may, 29, 2018.

As per RB R034/18A.

These vehicles should be updated via the Mazda Diagnostics Module (M-MDS); this FW update of the PCM should be = or > than IDS 110.05. Which, BTW, you cannot do yourself.

Just ask your dealer - like I did: my car was updated within 48 hrs; update took some 15 mins.

Were they making 2019 CX-5's before May 29, 2018?

As per RB R034/18A.

What's RB R034/18A?

Any link to service alerts or recalls in Europe?

Were they making 2019 CX-5's before May 29, 2018?
Excellent question! There's no way, at least for US market, the 2019 CX-5's are assembled as early as May 29, 2018; in the mean time, the Service Alert submitted to NHTSA by Mazda does include 2019 CX-5 ⋯ (uhm)

It'd be interesting to see the VIN or manufacture date is in the recall range on Go Hawks and jjm86m's 2018 CX-5.

Excellent question! There's no way, at least for US market, the 2019 CX-5's are assembled as early as May 29, 2018; in the mean time, the Service Alert submitted to NHTSA by Mazda does include 2019 CX-5 * (uhm)

It'd be interesting to see the VIN or manufacture date is in the recall range on Go Hawks and jjm86m's 2018 CX-5.

It does not appear that my VIN falls into those numbers. The last 6 digits of my VIN start with 333. I can say I am no expert on how the vin numbers are generated though. My wife has the car at work right now so I can*t determine the manufacture date. When she gets home I will verify and post.

The recall notice in Canada (Transport Canada Recall #2019322) lists the 2018-2019 CX5 and Mazda6, and the 2019 Mazda3. I just made an appointment at the local Mazda dealer on Monday to have the PCM software updated.

Wade

What happened was, the programmer received the spec from the engineers that said "Program it such that two cylinders deactivate at light load and 25mph". So the programmer did that. How could he know that the spec meant that the engine should go back to all four cylinders working again?
And now I heard that jetliners are going to use engine deactivation to save fuel.
Comic relief. I better keep my day job (peep)

It does not appear that my VIN falls into those numbers. The last 6 digits of my VIN start with 333. I can say I am no expert on how the vin numbers are generated though. My wife has the car at work right now so I can*t determine the manufacture date. When she gets home I will verify and post.

Manufacture date is December 2017

well, had my cx5 pcm software updated for the 'fix' today........ took about 20 minutes.....

the mechanic that did the flash said version he is using now is 13.06........
he said increase oil pressure to keep rocker arm in place plus the timing was off and this
new pcm fixed that also....... I asked by how much oil pressure was increased ? could it cause oil
leaks in future ? he said mazda headquarters don't tell him stuff like that ......
I asked if this new pcm just masks the problem ? he said no, and if the rocker arm falls off that
you'll know it because the timing will be off and you could hear it ........

So, sorry , not that mechanical , and best I could do............ Oh also , no to removing the valve cover
to check it it's already fallen off......... guess he could hear it if it did...

This doesn*t affect the 2.5 turbo engine, does it? If not, I wish they would just come out and say that.

well, had my cx5 pcm software updated for the 'fix' today........ took about 20 minutes.....

he said increase oil pressure to keep rocker arm in place plus the timing was off and this
new pcm fixed that also....... I asked by how much oil pressure was increased ? could it cause oil
leaks in future ? he said mazda headquarters don't tell him stuff like that ......
I asked if this new pcm just masks the problem ? he said no, and if the rocker arm falls off that

So, sorry , not that mechanical , and best I could do............ Oh also , no to removing the valve cover
to check it it's already fallen off......... guess he could hear it if it did...
No way the fallen rocker arm will affect timing nor he can hear it.

new pcm fixed that also
....... I asked by how much oil pressure was increased ? could it cause oil

The timing was off? I wonder what that is about. Timing can affect the car's performance.

No way the fallen rocker arm will affect timing nor he can hear it.

You don't know that. The engine may sense something is wrong and try to make compensations. Still interesting that this new item was brought into the mix.

Back