Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and Mazda6 models

thanks for the clarification
I'm sure I've been in that RPM range for a period of time, not sure how long
Not necessarily in sport mode but possibly
Never had any indication of limp mode being enabled
will test when possible

Buying a used 2018 GT this week...

No, not literally a minute. Just a few seconds, Maybe between 5-15 seconds. Remember, all you are trying to do is see if the computer senses a *misfire* on a cylinder due to the air/fuel ratio not being correct. So it may sense it as soon as you get above 5500 rpms or it may take it a few seconds to sense it. Mine happened when I was passing a vehicle. I was accelerating and keeping the RPMs high when it would go to limp mode.

Hey GoHawks,

Your input here has been so valuable and useful! Thanks! Im buying a 2018 this week and it is getting the recall repair flash pcm, but I wanted to get your and anyone elses thoughts here.

When testing/inspecting it: should
I drive it like you suggested before the flash repair, or just do a normal test drive (so that it doesnt actually throw the car into a limp mode for the first time), and test drive it this way with high extended RPMs AFTER the fix to test it to see if it is okay....

What are your thoughts? Anything else you would suggest/I am missing? Greatly appreciated!!!

Try it before for sure if its used. If its brand new I wouldnt bother until after the break in period. If it goes into limp mode before you buy, you don*t have to buy it until the problem is fixed.

Hey GoHawks,

Your input here has been so valuable and useful! Thanks! I*m buying a 2018 this week and it is getting the recall *repair* flash pcm, but I wanted to get your and anyone else*s thoughts here.

I drive it like you suggested before the flash repair, or just do a normal test drive (so that it doesn*t actually throw the car into a limp mode for the first time), and test drive it this way with high extended RPM*s AFTER the fix to test it to see if it is okay....

What are your thoughts? Anything else you would suggest/I am missing? Greatly appreciated!!!

How many miles are on the car you're buying?

I would wait to do the test until after they have done the recall. Assuming you haven't signed the papers, you can do the test, and if the engine goes into limp mode, it's the dealership's problem and you can look at a different CX-5.

Seems like we have a number of "self appointed" experts giving out information. I would just drive my vehicle normally and when I got the notice to visit the dealer for the software up date, in inspection. Ed

Two things:

How many miles are on the car you're buying?

I would wait to do the test until after they have done the recall. Assuming you haven't signed the papers, you can do the test, and if the engine goes into limp mode, it's the dealership's problem and you can look at a different CX-5.

It is a used car with 24k miles on it, and I am purchasing it private party. They have never experienced anything like this before.

Seems like we have a number of "self appointed" experts giving out information. I would just drive my vehicle normally and when I got the notice to visit the dealer for the software up date, in inspection. Ed

You'd be singing a different tune if you had the same experience that Go Hawks did. You can do whatever you want with your vehicle, but when someone else asks for an opinion, expect to see some feedback.

Also, just want to confirm my understanding of the issue: if vehicle has gone into limp mode and rocker arm fell off, it will always be obvious or will only again present when high revving engine?

Also, just want to confirm my understanding of the issue: if vehicle has gone into limp mode and rocker arm fell off, it will always be obvious or will only again present when high revving engine?

In my understanding, the car will go into limp mode if the rocker arm has fallen off. If the rocker arm hasn't fallen off, the car will drive normally. I've also heard (but can't confirm) that if the car goes into limp mode from this issue, turning the car off and turning it on again will "clear" the code, and it will drive normally (until the conditions are right for it to go back into limp mode).

Ed, I*ll risk coming across as a *self-appointed expert*: you*re not following along if you think the dealer is going to do an inspection. I*ll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Why try it before if it used?

Try it before for sure if its used. If its brand new I wouldnt bother until after the break in period. If it goes into limp mode before you buy, you don*t have to buy it until the problem is fixed.

Why try it beforehand if its used?

What I mean is if it*s a used vehicle, take it for a test drive. Rev it up like you*re going to pass somebody. If it clunks into limp mode and all of the idiot lights go off, I wouldn*t buy it. Tbh and further clarify, I don*t think it matters doing such a test prior to or after the recall. I really meant prior to purchase.

If it*s new I wouldn*t risk doing something adverse to the car during the break in period.

Hey GoHawks,

Your input here has been so valuable and useful! Thanks! I*m buying a 2018 this week and it is getting the recall *repair* flash pcm, but I wanted to get your and anyone else*s thoughts here.

I drive it like you suggested before the flash repair, or just do a normal test drive (so that it doesn*t actually throw the car into a limp mode for the first time), and test drive it this way with high extended RPM*s AFTER the fix to test it to see if it is okay....

The car should still be under warranty with only 24000 miles on it. Since you are buying from a private party I would let them do the recall work and then test drive the vehicle. Let the current owner know that you want to drive the car pretty hard and take it up in RPMs. If it were me, knowing what I know now, before I bought one of these vehicles I would demand a visual inspection be done and the PCM reflash. This is the only way to know for sure that your engine is mechanically correct and you have the latest logic on your PCM. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Ed, I wouldn't call myself or anyone else on this thread a "self appointed expert" on this topic. I think we are all concerned consumers who have purchased a vehicle that may or may not have an inherent flaw (depending on which PCM logic your car was shipped with) which could result in serious injury or death. I am not sure what year CX-5 you are driving, but if it is an '18 or '19 with CD I would hope that you would take this seriously and get your car in for the recall and a physical inspection. You may already have the rocker arm issue and you don't know it.
I started this thread in hopes of getting the word out about this issue because Mazda Corp. did not appear to have a sense of urgency about the danger this flaw could present. I don't know if we have made any difference in the big picture, but I would like to think that we have all answered a few questions and helped each other out a little bit.

Last edited:

If the rocker arm is off, the vehicle will go into limp mode when high enough RPMs on the engine is reached. Once you "reset" the limp mode by shutting down the engine, the car will drive normal again and you will have no indication of a problem until you hit the magic RPM again.

Hi Go Hawks. I was being sarcastic when I used the words Self Appointed but, it seemed to me that most people who bought CX5s are not that mechanically minded even though they may frequent this site. I think it is foolish to tell people to go drive the engine to 5,000 rpm or higher to see if it goes into limp mode, then shut of the engine to reset to default. This procedure to find out if you may have a rocker dislocated in itself may be dangerous. Just my thoughts on the subject. I still would have the dealer check out my vehicle rather than me try to diagnostic the problem. Ed

it seemed to me that most people who bought CX5s are not that mechanically minded even though they may frequent this site. Ed

You can say that again, ten fold!

However, there is some helpful and useful info in this here thread. Take it for what it's worth, I guess...

Hi Go Hawks. I was being sarcastic when I used the words Self Appointed but, it seemed to me that most people who bought CX5s are not that mechanically minded even though they may frequent this site. I think it is foolish to tell people to go drive the engine to 5,000 rpm or higher to see if it goes into limp mode, then shut of the engine to reset to default. This procedure to find out if you may have a rocker dislocated in itself may be dangerous. Just my thoughts on the subject. I still would have the dealer check out my vehicle rather than me try to diagnostic the problem. Ed

Ed, the whole reason GoHawks and I are unhappy with the "fix" is because the dealership and ultimately Mazda Corporate are only fixing CX5's that don't have any issues. If you already have a rocker arm that is fallen off the fix to the recall is only masking the issue. The dealership flashed my PCM and the limp mode issue went away. But at the end of the day it only masked the problem because the rocker arm had already fallen off and a software update didn't magically reinstall the rocker arm. I tried multiple times to get the engine to limpmode post PCM update without any success and yet there was still a floating arm inside the engine.

IMO it isn't foolish to drive at over 5000 RPM or even up to redline. You don't have to be screaming down the highway at 5000RPM. You can easily hit 5000 at under 30mph. Like I mentioned in a previous post. Be smart about where you try this. You don't need to be mechanical minded to have a little common sense.

Also, For the record my limp mode did not occur until 6000-6200 RPM. Details are documented in other posts on this thread.

Ed, the whole reason GoHawks and I are unhappy with the "fix" is because the dealership and ultimately Mazda Corporate are only fixing CX5's that don't have any issues. If you already have a rocker arm that is fallen off the fix to the recall is only masking the issue. The dealership flashed my PCM and the limp mode issue went away. But at the end of the day it only masked the problem because the rocker arm had already fallen off and a software update didn't magically reinstall the rocker arm. I tried multiple times to get the engine to limpmode post PCM update without any success and yet there was still a floating arm inside the engine.

IMO it isn't foolish to drive at over 5000 RPM or even up to redline. You don't have to be screaming down the highway at 5000RPM. You can easily hit 5000 at under 30mph. Like I mentioned in a previous post. Be smart about where you try this. You don't need to be mechanical minded to have a little common sense.

Also, For the record my limp mode did not occur until 6000-6200 RPM. Details are documented in other posts on this thread.
Glad you came out and clearlified this. Mazdas official recall does NOT include a visual on rocker arms, and thiss something few here have been critical on it, and I believe thiss a legit concern based on your personal experience.

I'd wager that 95% of the population doesn't even know what the tachometer is showing, let alone understand what RPM is or what's required to have the engine go into limp mode. They'd know what "floor it until you're scared" means, but that's about it.

When we purchased our new Cx5 no one understood what sport mode was, some thought it sent more power to the rear wheels, some thought it sent more power to the front wheels for "more freeway speed"...lol. Others said it just makes the handling more sporty like a sports car. Of course I instantly figured it out while test driving, but the reps were bamboozled.

I had to explain to my wife what idiots they were. No one knew that it adjusts the transmission logic to keep the rpm's higher because that's just waaaaay too complicated for soccer mom (yes, my wife, who still has no idea what I'm talking about). Service/sales reps aren't trained to know anything technical, they are only trained to spew marketing snot that the general public will understand... sport mode is "sporty" and more "Mazda zoom zoomy". Grandma understands that much...maybe.

TLDR, asking someone to hold revs or keep above a certain RPM for a certain amount of time is like nerdy tech jibberish.

I completely agree that Mazda should be visually inspecting, but I'm not sure that will happen because of what you said:

I tried multiple times to get the engine to limpmode post PCM update without any success and yet there was still a floating arm inside the engine.
Mazda's fix appears to just prevent limp mode from occurring (ignoring the lack of airflow and running RICH for a bit) because, the same people I described above, won't ever notice and running RICH does nothing but generate less power. This isn't a lean condition that would ever cause engine damage, it's simply one cylinder starving for air, aka running rich. Visually inspecting every model and replacing entire affected engines might bankrupt Mazda. Just ignore the rich condition for 0.01% of the population who would ever encounter this instead of triggering a potentially dangerous limp mode. You now have your most cost effective "fix". Problem solved. :D :D

I bet some engineer lost his job over this too: "What? You triggered limp mode while under a full power rich condition?" YOU'RE FIRED. lol. The Issues Management department protects the company, not the consumer.

Last edited:
Back