Dandan's build thread!!

I like the GT30 and larger. The spool time is longer which i LIKE. When our transmissions break its usually on lower gears at high boost... Boost to fast = not good all the time!

If you go on the Garrett site you will see the compressor maps show the 3071r is ideal for our car. Plus the torque curve at 4000 to 7000 is way smoother because the smaller snails fall off at the top end. I am super biased towards the bigger Turbo. But it comes from experience. Increase timing and fuel at the bottom end for a super fast spool. I hover the 2700 to 3000 when cruising town any way. Its the exhaust tone sweet spot for me. I don't have to down shift to get thrown in back seat without a ton of wheel spin. Plus I have down pipes that bolt up for real cheap so get vband 3" exhaust when you do!!!

Injectors get 600 so you can keep the duty cycles within range. If you plan on going sequential injection you can go slightly smaller but 440 is going to bottle neck you at 350.

For clutch the act extreme is good. Exedy is bad. Fidanza is great. I am also speaking from experience on this.

For LSD save your cash. Just weld it on both sides as long as you have the revised. Transmission will be your next worry. Get treated gtx for 400 and under. Cheaper than par. Stockers are blowing up as low as 275-ish so you can't count on being safe at 300 HP.

Get proper intake air cooling for best results against detonation with your j&s.

If you go on the Garrett site you will see the compressor maps show the 3071r is ideal for our car. Plus the torque curve at 4000 to 7000 is way smoother because the smaller snails fall off at the top end. I am super biased towards the bigger Turbo. But it comes from experience. Increase timing and fuel at the bottom end for a super fast spool. I hover the 2700 to 3000 when cruising town any way. Its the exhaust tone sweet spot for me. I don't have to down shift to get thrown in back seat without a ton of wheel spin. Plus I have down pipes that bolt up for real cheap so get vband 3" exhaust when you do!!!

Injectors get 600 so you can keep the duty cycles within range. If you plan on going sequential injection you can go slightly smaller but 440 is going to bottle neck you at 350.

For clutch the act extreme is good. Exedy is bad. Fidanza is great. I am also speaking from experience on this.

For LSD save your cash. Just weld it on both sides as long as you have the revised. Transmission will be your next worry. Get treated gtx for 400 and under. Cheaper than par. Stockers are blowing up as low as 275-ish so you can't count on being safe at 300 HP.

Get proper intake air cooling for best results against detonation with your j&s.

lol, thanks for ur help but i already know. im goin to be around 350 hp on stock tranny and mfactory lsd for alil bit while building another with par 3rd and 4rth gears on the side. after that i will upgrade injectors and meth injection.

Sorry dan. I saw nocturnals post and felt compelled to chime in. I never post with the intention of schooling someone. I just wanted to speak from my personal experiences to avoid someone else unnecessarily going thru the same headaches I had.

You got any updates of where you are on your project?

To me with our blocks and trans problems. I like the larger turbo's because of their later spool. I account the trans failures from the quick spool.

It seems to me tranny problems occur from shock. Like outlaw says fast spool. But prolly hard launching, limited slip diffs and hard motor mounts are contributors too. Sticky tires.... the list goes on.

To me with our blocks and trans problems. I like the larger turbo's because of their later spool. I account the trans failures from the quick spool.

bigger turbo and later spool wont help with tranny failures. u just have to be easy with the beast and dont push it too hard.

ive got the spare block torn apart and the forged rods and pistons just waiting on the money to get the machine work done and the rebuild kit, then after that i have to gather the haltech, turbo, and lsd.

If you dont break 3rd gear at least once. Your car is broken. 3rd-4th gear pulls always break s***.

lol, thanks for ur help but i already know. im goin to be around 350 hp on stock tranny and mfactory lsd for alil bit while building another with par 3rd and 4rth gears on the side. after that i will upgrade injectors and meth injection.

350hp your tranny will last a few months with no hard track runs. Roll racing ftw.

Dan, im going to throw out this warning if you look back through the archives of this site, members who built their cars up for 300+ typically dont keep them long. It becomes a chore to keep up with a built motor, and high horsepower in a car that came with 99whp from factory. s*** breaks, downtime is abundant. Ask CWill, azian6er, among many others. Lack of built trannys, high hp axles, and just in general no after market support for these cars make it incredibly tough to keep one with 300+ hp running for very long.

Sidebar, are the par gears straight cut?

I'm in the same boat. I have a block to rebuild myself. I'm waiting for my current turbo to go out, and then I'll probably get a GT2871 for a replacement. I'm not looking for crazy power on mine, and the last time a trans axle broke on me was 2005. 300-350 HP is the max. If I want more, I'll get another car.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I have a block to rebuild myself. I'm waiting for my current turbo to go out, and then I'll probably get a GT2871 for a replacement. I'm not looking for crazy power on mine, and the last time a trans axle broke on me was 2005. 300-350 is the max. If I want more, I'll get another car.
I forgot you were a super mod on here. Can you believe we've been running around since 2003 -_-. Time flies man.

350hp your tranny will last a few months with no hard track runs. Roll racing ftw.

Dan, im going to throw out this warning if you look back through the archives of this site, members who built their cars up for 300+ typically dont keep them long. It becomes a chore to keep up with a built motor, and high horsepower in a car that came with 99whp from factory. s*** breaks, downtime is abundant. Ask CWill, azian6er, among many others. Lack of built trannys, high hp axles, and just in general no after market support for these cars make it incredibly tough to keep one with 300+ hp running for very long.

Sidebar, are the par gears straight cut?

i have no doubt in about 3 or 4 years this car will be someone elses toy. ill probably tune it down to about 280 to 300 for the street and just make big power on the dyno for bragging rights. i know there will be headaches, but its just my project. its no longer my daily so it wont see boost as much as u think. i just like the car and dont mind wasting money on it. ill drive it on the weekends and take to to a few meets and shows here and there. it will be getting a new paint job here soon aswell (along with a stock rear end), with a more brilliant silver. and to be honest it sucks when something breaks, but i really dont mind tearing into it and fixing stuff. i just like working on cars, the more i learn about them the more i love them.

Last edited:
i have no doubt in about 3 or 4 years this car will be someone elses toy. ill probably tune it down to about 280 to 300 for the street and just make big power on the dyno for bragging rights. i know there will be headaches, but its just my project. its no longer my daily so it wont see boost as much as u think. i just like the car and dont mind wasting money on it. ill drive it on the weekends and take to to a few meets and shows here and there. it will be getting a new paint job here soon aswell (along with a stock rear end), with a more brilliant silver. and to be honest it sucks when something breaks, but i really dont mind tearing into it and fixing stuff. i just like working on cars, the more i learn about them the more i love them.

well said my friend. and if you do it to think its going to last because you've done everything, you are in for a big surprise.

Back