Damage repair: can one ask for OE parts to be used?

:
2022 CX-5 Turbo
My friend's Mazda3 got hit from behind with bumper damage.
Geico used *certified bumper* but it did not fit very well at the seams.
He refused to take it.
Geico will call him again.

As a victim in this case, can he ask for OE bumper to be used?
What is the rule on this?

Thanks in advance.

My guess is most insurance companies now try to use scrap yard parts etc to bring down costs.
What is a certified bumper? Cost diff vs an OE?

ALSO REMEMBER YOUR FRIEND CAN CLAIM - DIMINISHED VALUE. his resale will go down due to this accident so he can claim the difference. Office friend got a few grand on his highlander. Geico wont remind you but you need to force it on them and follow up - like a lot.

I checked.
Mazdaparts.org (a Mazda dealer) has the bumper for around $250.
On the bill, CAPA certified bumper was listed at $225. Only $25 difference.
Good idea on the "DIMINISHED VALUE". I will remind him.

Remember you can always negotiate on Diminished value. their first offer will be crap.

Diminished value claims are not a “sure thing” by any means. You have to jump through a lot of hoops to make it work. But it can be done if you’re willing to spend the time.

Thanks for the replies.
Nowadays, big repair shops report repairs to CarFax and AutoCheck (they do get some money from these websites).
The info is public. A vehicle with repair history will suffer some diminished value.
Also, reporting to DMV (>$700) is required. It will be public info, for sure.

My friend has started the negotiation on diminished value.

Geico called again to tell him that they will use an OE bumper for the 2nd attempt to fix it.
That is a good start.

Diminished value claims are not a “sure thing” by any means. You have to jump through a lot of hoops to make it work. But it can be done if you’re willing to spend the time.

Diminished value is a sure thing. On my friends car his rear tail gate was replaced - Highlander - probably Limited trim. I am thinking he got 3.7K USD.
Any business would not want to pay it out. But they have too, if they outright refuse or low ball - its the same as them low balling the repairs. Its not easy - its PITA.

Thanks for the replies.
Nowadays, big repair shops report repairs to CarFax and AutoCheck (they do get some money from these websites).
The info is public. A vehicle with repair history will suffer some diminished value.
Also, reporting to DMV (>$700) is required. It will be public info, for sure.

My friend has started the negotiation on diminished value.

Geico called again to tell him that they will use an OE bumper for the 2nd attempt to fix it.
That is a good start.

Carfax is not reliable. My old CX5 was hit twice, had a trans replaced, and did time in 2 different body shops....not a single mention on Carfax about any of this..

Check the policy. It may require you to accept aftermarket parts. The presence of aftermarket keeps the OEMs prices lower. I always tell my body shop to use OEM, salvage if necessary, and I'll pay the difference. At $25, I'd tell the body shop to buy Mazda and payt the difference without telling the insurance company.

Insurance is for what you CANNOT afford, not to make things easy/free.

Last edited:
Got rear ended two weeks ago, he has USAA insurance. I took it to get the estimate and schedule the repair, I told them I want Mazda NEW parts, not used. The repair shop told me that USAA will do OEM parts on vehicles 2 years or newer. Estimate cost $750.00. But could go hire once the get into the job.

Stick to your wants. This eas their clients fault. Get new parts.

Thanks, guys, for the replies.
Geico now agrees to use OE part.
Now, need to watch for paint color matching and diminished value.

About CarFax (and AutoCheck), not every shop reports repairs to them.
Usually, smaller shops do not report to them.
Most dealers report the repairs to them.

I once had the cam pos sensors replaced on my BMW at a BMW dealer.
The dealer reported to CarFax as "Engine Repair". (sounds very bad, doesn't it)
You can imagine the difficulty that caused when I tried to sell it....

Back