CX5 Offroad Tire Question

:
CX5
I'm trying to upgrade to 255/55r18 (BFG TA KO2) from 235/55r19 tire (and btw I'm also selling the tire set if you're interested).

What do you guys think of 18x8 ET40 with 255/55r18 tire. Will it rub the fender at maximum articulation and wheel turn?

Sample pic of the 255/55r18 on rav4 :
56ff02da1fc9d8616d208809dbed569a.jpg

1 - tUPLpEi.jpg

2 - Q8H3rnd.jpg

3 - ZDvujbr.jpg

4 - cfJPNhd.jpg

Thanks!

I think around 29" is the ideal size for the Gen 2 CX, .5" larger than the stock 17s. There's not a lot of room to go bigger in diameter without rubbing when cycling the suspension. There is adequate space for wider tires. Personally, I would keep the Geolandars. The knobby KO2s will ride a lot worse on the road.

This is the setup I want, except with slightly larger tires. Thinking 235/70/16. I also got rid of the aero flaps for a cleaner look.

enkeiwheels1.png

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm just trying to get a more durable set of tires just because the geolandars seem to be more prone to tearing when taken offroad compared to the BFG. I saw a youtube video where a subaru fitted with geolandar going offroad and it got torn on the sidewall by a medium sized rock. BFG will certainly be less comfy on the road but I heard good reviews from other forums that it's not as loud as what people would think.
the 255/55r18 is just 0.7% larger than the 225/55r19.

Link to the vid? It's also worth noting the Geolandar comes in both P-metric and LT sizes. The LT has more robust construction. Wonder if he was aired down properly.

Last edited:
^^ that tire failure was due to wheel hop .. the drive was impatient and attempted to use throttle .. lifting the wheel off the ground then forward momentum stopped and the weight of the vehicle came crashing down on a narrow surface (rock face). This type of failure is not poor tire design -- it is poor operator.

Offroading is never without risk.. and experience (seat time) is going to go a LOT further than the equipment choice. If the above video is the desired type of terrain the vehicle would be used on then yes a BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 would be my preferred choice over the Geolander.

I might also suggest looking into other tires actually designed for this type of use (not all will be available in the factory size):

if you have two sets of tires, one for the concrete jungle and one for the weekend warrior mode.. then save even more money

Back