CX-9 vs Volvo XC90

When we traded in our 2010 CX-9 for a 2019 CX-9, it was also in perfect working condition. It did require a rebuilt transmission at 55K (which was covered under the powertrain warranty), but was trouble-free for the most part. It was garaged and well taken care of, in terms of maintenance. However, we were constantly concerned about the water pump issue that we started driving it less. The CX-9 was the vehicle that we used for our long drives up to family in Toronto. But not wanting to get stranded somewhere since the water pump issue occurs without much warning, we deferred our drives. We thought about replacing the water pump, but the cost, relative to the vehicle's value, and the non-guarantee that it still won't happen, made it a non option. While it was financially prudent to just keep driving the car until it dies, we just decided to cut our losses and just get a 2019 CX-9 and use the equity to lower the cost of the new vehicle. Yes, it's an expensive choice for peace of mind, but I think it's worth it if you can afford it.

The previous gen CX-9 has a lot of Ford DNA, and while maybe not as troublesome as actual Fords, its weaknesses are due to the Ford DNA. The new CX-9 is all Mazda, and while that does not guarantee invincibility, it's probably a much better vehicle than the one it replaced.

We keep our cars for a long time and while I do like the XC90, I think the CX-9 will be less troublesome in the long run.

So just an update.

I test drove both today, 2019 CX-9 GT and 2017 XC90 Momentum. It was pretty clear that I'd enjoy CX-9 way more than the Volvo.

My thoughts:

CX-9 Pros
------------------------------------------
- Way tighter steering
- Everything was very nice and in place. Maybe because it was brand new, so it might not be a fair comparison to Volvo. But Volvo already had some plastic pieces that started to feel flimsy when you press on them.
- Interior feels really premium. I imagine the Signature trim would feel even more so. I really want the illuminated grille and auburn leather, but the rosewood trim seems a bit Cadillac-y. Might look better in person.
- Pretty comfortable. I definitely didn't think it felt rough over bumps and such.
- Very quiet ride. You can barely hear the engine. But when you floor it, it does sound a bit bad/weak.

CX-9 Cons
- Infotainment system is sloooooow
- Backup camera resolution was terrible. Feels like a 2010 Dodge or something. Pretty disappointing.
- The space in third row seat and behind the seat is very small. I knew this already. Volvo is equally tight and small for its class.
- The visibility is not so great. Feels a bit like being in an armored car. At least compared to the Volvo.
- The gear level is a bit high and in the way of the climate controls. Weird choice of design.
- No third row AC vent, already knew that, but would be nice to have.

XC90 Pros
- Great visibility. Way better than CX-9. All the windows are nice and large.
- Much more airy interior. The pano roof and lower center console probably help this. The seats are also slimmer in design.
- Much comfier seats, despite the ride being overall similar in comfort.
- More techy interior, but also laggy and slow so it's a con as well.
- Steering is very light. This can be a pro or con depending on what you're looking for. If you want heavy power steering assist, then Volvo is the better choice. To me it felt a bit on the edge and you don't feel great control over the vehicle.

XC90 Cons
- The techy interior, while cool, is slooow. The problem is all the controls are on it unlike Mazda's slow infotainment which is not as important.
- Ride is surprisingly not as comfy as I thought it would be.
- The engine sounds rough when you push it. Even rougher than CX-9. Probably caused it's an even smaller engine trying to pull the same weight.
- The quality just didn't seem to be there. It looked much nicer in person. Perhaps the Inscription trim is better or perhaps this one was a bit TOO used.
- With higher price, it just doesn't seem to have many advantages over the CX-9.

I think the CX-9 is a better choice for me for sure. Not I just need to decide what year to go with.

From my understanding:

- 2017 has heated seats and rear parking sensors
- 2018 added front parking sensors and heated steering wheel
- 2019 added 360 view and ventilated seats (360 view is bad quality so not really that useful)

Any ideas what to look out for when trying out a used CX-9? Any specific issues to look for? I'm thinking if I avoid 2016 I should be able to avoid most initial year problems.

From my understanding:

- 2017 has heated seats and rear parking sensors
- 2018 added front parking sensors and heated steering wheel
- 2019 added 360 view and ventilated seats (360 view is bad quality so not really that useful)

Any ideas what to look out for when trying out a used CX-9? Any specific issues to look for? I'm thinking if I avoid 2016 I should be able to avoid most initial year problems.

The 2018 model also got GVC, and they made third row access easier by increasing the 2nd row bench's forward travel by a few inches. I think they also added heated 2nd row seating in 2018 models.

IMO, while the camera resolution is annoying because its better on so many other vehicles, its hardly important. It's perfectly fine for its purpose. I don't need to be able to read the address on my neighbour's recycling bin, I just need to be able to see it so that I don't hit it, lol. The visibility thing is definitely a con, but it's something that I got used to quite quickly.

When ias shopping for my CX-9 I compared the 2017 and 2018. To me (and in Canada), the list of added features for 2018 where worth it. As sm1ke mentioned, you won*t see it on any data sheet but they did make the access to the 3rd row easier on the 2018. The 2018 also added heated windshield wipers (the glass is heated where they sit when not in use), and traffic sign recognition I believe. The 2019 also has added android auto and Apple CarPlay, but you can upgrade older models to it.

In Canada the light depreciation wasn*t making it worth to buy slightly used. I found a last year model (2018 at the time) at a dealership for not much more than 2 year old models. Now that the 2020 are coming out, your best deal may be to get a 2019. I don*t think tte would be any 2018 remaining on the lots.

Back