CX-9 Qi Charging Issues

I have a 2021 CX-9 GT and I added the Carlinkit wireless Carplay adapter. I've been using the qi charger now that I no longer need to be plugged in for Carplay. The charging is very slow or simply keeping the battery from going down. Also, the phone gets hot and sometimes the status light for the charger flashes red which indicates a charging issue. Has anyone else had issues? I thought I read somewhere that someone may have had a software update from the dealer that solved similar issues.

I have a 2021 CX-9 GT also. Wireless chargers in general seem to make my iPhone run hot so I’m not too worried about the phone feeling warm in the car. Unless my phone is below 50%, I typically set it perpendicular to the charger so it doesn’t engage or put it in the cup holder.

If I‘m streaming music or yakking on the phone, it will charge slowly but it does charge.

At first I had trouble engaging the charger consistently. For me the trick is to put my iPhone in face up with the top towards me snug to the driver side, not closest to the passenger or the bottom facing me. I haven’t had any issues getting it to engage and charge.

Upvote 0
Just bought a 22 gt, and neither my wife or my Samsungs charge. I have a s22, she has s22 ultra. Dealer said it's dependent on how u place it, but it just seems to not charge. Doors closed. This is wife's car, and she will not like that a big feature she'd want does not work, any ideas?

Upvote 0
I've heard of too many issues with Carlink/Car2Play on the Miata forums... someone tried PAIRR recently and had much better results. Think about switching to that.

But other than that though, a thick case can interfere with Qi charging and cause it to charge slow and/or run hot... and obviously, with it not being lined up to the charging coils right, the same thing will happen, case or not. As troubleshooting step, try using it without a case on your phone (if you have one), and see if it improves

Upvote 0
Back