CX-9 Liftgate (trunk door) closing automatically when I'm underneath. Why?

I have a 2019 Mazda CX-9 and sometimes (like once a month or so) when I have the trunk door (liftgate) open, it starts closing automatically. I have been bruised a little bit by the door hitting me once or twice when I'm still organizing stuff in the trunk.

Is there a reason for this, or is it some malfunction ?

Sometimes I feel something triggers this automatic close, like a loud sound coming from nearby or putting down something heavy in the trunk. I could be completely wrong here though.

I have a 2019 CX-9 GT and thankfully haven't experienced your problem but I have had a sporadic issue with the doors locking themselves when the car is parked and left unlocked on purpose. It is not programmed to auto lock when the key is out of range so not sure why this happens. Also the self folding mirrors will sometimes fold closed on their own even though the doors have not been locked or not unfold when the doors are unlocked. I haven't had the dealer look at it yet. Your situation sounds a lot more hazardous.

I have a 2019 Mazda CX-9 and sometimes (like once a month or so) when I have the trunk door (liftgate) open, it starts closing automatically. I have been bruised a little bit by the door hitting me once or twice when I'm still organizing stuff in the trunk.

Sometimes I feel something triggers this automatic close, like a loud sound coming from nearby or putting down something heavy in the trunk. I could be completely wrong here though.

Definitely strange, I've never experienced this issue. Does the car beep before the liftgate closes in these instances? Or does it just close on you with no audible beeps or warnings?

If it just closes on you, it seems like the liftgate struts may not be able to hold the liftgate up, and putting something heavy in the trunk may jar the liftgate enough to the point that the struts can't support it. If it beeps, it may be a malfunction with the power liftgate circuitry or components.

Either way, I'd book a service appointment with the dealer and get them to investigate as your car is still under warranty.

Have you looked at the possibility that you may be accidentally hitting the trunk button on the key fob while in your pocket? This happened to me in the past without realizing it and the trunk would open accidentally only to find out the key fob’s in my front jeans’ pocket and whenever I lean against a desk it hits the fob button!

Definitely strange, I've never experienced this issue. Does the car beep before the liftgate closes in these instances? Or does it just close on you with no audible beeps or warnings?

If it just closes on you, it seems like the liftgate struts may not be able to hold the liftgate up, and putting something heavy in the trunk may jar the liftgate enough to the point that the struts can't support it. If it beeps, it may be a malfunction with the power liftgate circuitry or components.

Either way, I'd book a service appointment with the dealer and get them to investigate as your car is still under warranty.

I'm not 100% but I think that when it closes abruptly, the beeps and warnings still happen, which signal me to quickly get out.

Yep I think showing this to a service dealer is probably a good idea.

Is this with CX-9 that has foot-actuated liftgate?

If you're talking about the hands free liftgate operation, I think that's introduced in the 2020 CX-9, while I have the 2019 grand touring CX-9.

Have you looked at the possibility that you may be accidentally hitting the trunk button on the key fob while in your pocket? This happened to me in the past without realizing it and the trunk would open accidentally only to find out the key fob’s in my front jeans’ pocket and whenever I lean against a desk it hits the fob button!

hmm interesting. For me though, the problem is that the liftgate closes abruptly, so did that also happen for you ?

Back