2007~2015 CX-9 Key won't communicate with car...Aggravation!

:
08 cx9 grand touring
My key fob barely works anymore. It's a 2008 and getting old. I need to dangle it around the dashboard in hopes it communicates with the car. Sometimes the key indicator on the dash turns green and starts sometimes not and I need to put the key in the ignition. It's nothing but aggravating.

I got the key# from the dealer TDY2675rYA. I have 2 "credit cards" but I'm missing one of the keys.

I'm thinking about buying one or two Fob's off Ebay/Amazon. I see there are procedures to program it myself.

Can I program it myself with 2 fob's and only one key?

Could it be other issues like a transmitter/computer issue in the car? How to test?

2008 CX-9 - What years do the procedure cover (Example 2006-2012)? Can't find anything on an 08. Definitely not the battery in the fob - it seems to be getting progressively worse over the years.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

These fobs suck. Mine has been doing this for the 2 years that I've had it, and I am of the thought that it is just the way it is. I love how I can start the car, then 2 seconds later the fob isn't detected (even though it is in my pocket and allowed the car to start), then 5-10 minutes later the fob is detected. I have a Compustar remote start, so the only thing the factory fob is needed for is the immobilizer.

You may have bad sensor(s).

Procedure will be for 2007-2009 for sure, if not 2007-2015.

Upvote 0
I have the whole procedure, can send it to you if you'd like. Shoot me a pm.
btw, all my originals still work fine. While the button paint wears off, the source of the failure that i've found is just the battery contact. Take a paper clip and unbend it, stick in inside the fob where the battery goes, and just bend that little contact back out so that the battery will make good contact with that metal tab. If you were really bored, you could get a little piece of sand paper and try to lightly sand the contact. Also, smart phones cause radio interference so if you have your phone and your fob in your pocket, your phone will cancel out/over power the fob signal, same goes for putting the fob and your phone together in the console area. I don't think they realized that as there is no mention in the owners manual. I think key programming is easy when you are missing keys, it is the credit card fobs that make your life miserable if you only have one fob. The important thing is to have at least 2 working credit card fobs. Shoot me a pm

Upvote 0
I repaired one of mine, personnally it was a contact inside that would not always work, try to see when it doesn't work if you try to lock or unlock the doors with the fob, does the little led on it lights up or not. If it doesn't, than you know it is power related (contact or battery). I opened mine and there are 2 little metal tabs that make contact on a brass sort of plate and the contact gets bad, I just bent the tabs differently and now it always work. It wasn't those directly on the battery, those were good on mine.

Upvote 0
Does this help with and diagnostics?

I never use use the lock/unlock on the fob but tried it for test reasons while sitting in the car.
sometimes the red light on the fob wont come on and locks don't work
other times it does come on and locks work but still cant start the car. Red key light on dash comes on.

With the car running and driving just now the key fob or car ( couldn't tell which) was beeping and the red key light on the dash was coming on and off....and again this is with the car running.
This is with the key on the center console for no interference

Does that help with troubleshooting?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does this help with and diagnostics?

I never use use the lock/unlock on the fob but tried it for test reasons while sitting in the car.
sometimes the red light on the fob wont come on and locks don't work
other times it does come on and locks work but still cant start the car. Red key light on dash comes on.

With the car running and driving just now the key fob or car ( couldn't tell which) was beeping and the red key light on the dash was coming on and off....and again this is with the car running.

Does that help with troubleshooting?
The red key on the dash will come on when the fob isn't communicating with the vehicle (or the fob is outside of the range of the vehicle). The beeping is from the car; it warns you that the key isn't present (or can't be read). When the red led on the fob doesn't flash, that is when it isn't communicating. I believe it flashes every 6-7 seconds or so.

Upvote 0
The red key on the dash will come on when the fob isn't communicating with the vehicle (or the fob is outside of the range of the vehicle). The beeping is from the car; it warns you that the key isn't present (or can't be read). When the red led on the fob doesn't flash, that is when it isn't communicating. I believe it flashes every 6-7 seconds or so.
Does this mean my issue is the fob or could it also be an issue with whatever reads the fob in the car? I'm ready to get a new fob just don't want to waste $200 if it could be something else although at this point it seems like the cheapest place to start.

Upvote 0
Does this mean my issue is the fob or could it also be an issue with whatever reads the fob in the car? I'm ready to get a new fob just don't want to waste $200 if it could be something else although at this point it seems like the cheapest place to start.
Hard to say. Scan for codes, and if there are any, then there is a good chance it is the "keyless control module".

Here is what mine currently shows (U0200 & B2170).....

test.jpg

Upvote 0
Back