CX-9 for my traveling son?

My theory is because one was designed in Japan, and the other was designed somewhere where people are...larger.

I've always suspected this, but could never prove it as fact. It does make sense to me. I find it funny when I read some car reviews where the reviewer complains that the interior is too small/compact and there is no leg room, and it turns out that the reviewer just happens to be a larger (taller/wider) person.

My favourite example is a review of the MX-5 - the author complained that it was too low-slung, making it hard to exit/enter the vehicle, and that the interior felt too cramped, seats were uncomfortable, etc. Turns out the author was a 6'+ overweight (280 lb+) guy.

I’ve owned two cx5s and now a cx9. Unless your son is gonna be riding around with 2 other people on the regular, a cx9 is overkill in terms of what he needs for space. Check out the CX5; it would be perfect for him.

Wouldn't golf clubs fit into a CX5 with the rear seats folded?
Sure, with plenty of room to spare. In fact, they fit sideways at the far rear behind the wheel well bump in. That was on my nice-to-have list that I checked out. ;)[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
So, it would seem the OP is in a nice spot so as not to be too concerned about price, and so I'd say the CX9 does offer some things the CX5 doesn't, for the extra $. IMO the interior is a bit nicer. Not to slag on the CX5, but the design and extra space just makes it feel more luxurious. Again, just my feeling.

As well,the CX5 is small. Even for it's class it is small. Coming from a GC, that's a big step down in size. For long distance travel, I personally prefer the larger vehicle. Put a couple of his golf buds in there, with clubs...

If he were commuting into a city, diff story. And we already know the better agility the CX5 would offer is not a priority.

I was thinking and Edge or Explorer might be a fit. The sport versions would be closer to the GC power.

I was thinking and Edge or Explorer might be a fit.
I was thinking Telluride or Palisade fraternal twins. These are not your father's Hyundai/Kias. They have come a looooong way since Hyundai sold sh*tboxes then pulled out of the US altogether. I favor the Telluride's looks and the fact it is built in Korea whereas the Palisade comes out of Georgia, US.

There are a few meaningful differences in features the lower trim lines, so that has to be considered.

So, it would seem the OP is in a nice spot so as not to be too concerned about price, and so I'd say the CX9 does offer some things the CX5 doesn't, for the extra $. IMO the interior is a bit nicer. Not to slag on the CX5, but the design and extra space just makes it feel more luxurious. Again, just my feeling.

As well,the CX5 is small. Even for it's class it is small. Coming from a GC, that's a big step down in size. For long distance travel, I personally prefer the larger vehicle. Put a couple of his golf buds in there, with clubs...

If he were commuting into a city, diff story. And we already know the better agility the CX5 would offer is not a priority.

I was thinking and Edge or Explorer might be a fit. The sport versions would be closer to the GC power.

this pretty much hits it on the head. Coming out of a Jeep Overland it would be giving up room, and whistles and bells we all get used to to move to a CX5, no doubt a nice car. His friend has CX9, and while not a ton of legroom, he seems ok with it. When we go to car shows (which he hates) he can squeeze into our Aventador or 18 Ford GT which are claustrophobic.

In that case, I think the CX-9 would be a good fit. If I had to shop today it would be between the CX-9, the Telluride, or the Palisade (but I'd probably be second-guessing the Palisade - here's why). I think I'd still opt for the CX-9, especially for your son, since the Palisade may have an issue with wind/road noise at speeds above 50 mph.

Now that that’s settled, i would wait for the 2021 model. The fact that it will apparently include wireless apple carplay finally completes the wireless charging cycle. A lot of people skimp on wireless charging because you used to need to plug in your phone anyway for apple carplay.

Back