Poll CX-9 Folding Cargo Tray: OEM vs Husky vs ?

Cargo Liner: Mazda OEM vs Husky

• Mazda OEM

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Husky

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
:
2020 CX-9 GT
For context, I anticipate keeping the 3rd row down most of the time, but can definitely envision needing to move a seat or two up. (Putting the dog back there, random friends, etc.)

The two best solutions I've seen for a cargo tray that attaches to the back of the third row and still allows it to move up and down are:

---------------------------
1. Mazda's Cargo Tray
What I can't tell is how weird the flap thingy that sticks up from the cargo side is. Is it a big deal?

+ Gives access to the car seat attachment.
+ CX9 branding (Don't judge me)

Don't like

- Doesn't cover the entire cargo area (The little areas off to the sides near the hatch.)
- Spills could run off the sides.
- Seems like install requires some drilling which I'm not thrilled about.

1597339308994.png

------------------------------------------
2. Husky's Cargo Tray

+ Tray has walls to help prevent spills.
+ More continuous coverage of the back, compared to the OEM.

Don't like

- No access to the car seat attachment.
- Doesn't look like it lays totally flat in some user pictures.
- Saw someone say that bottom of this is sort of like velcro and it pulls at the carpeted base. Don't want a weird jacked up looking carpet if I have to hose these down.

1597339912983.png

For context, I anticipate keeping the 3rd row down most of the time, but can definitely envision needing to move a seat or two up. (Putting the dog back there, random friends, etc.)

The biggest benefit of the Husky liner is the extra spill protection. I have the OEM Mazda cargo mat and the cargo portion has little rubber spikes on the bottom that keep it in place. The portion that goes on the back of the 3rd row is held in place by hook-and-loop fasteners, and yes they will pull the carpet a bit, but it's not a big deal at all since you don't see it when the mat is in place. If it really bothers you, you could always just trim the pulled threads to make it look brand new again. The OEM Mazda mat does not require drilling of any kind.

The flap on the Mazda mat is not noticeable at all, it's just there to allow the mat to shift when the seats are put up. With the Husky mat, the crease in the middle is meant to fold up with the seats (like an accordion) instead of allowing the mat to shift. This causes it to jut out a bit, but not enough in a way that would impede cargo space (unless you need every cubic inch available).

I think your choice will ultimately boil down to what you will be carrying in your cargo area...i.e. if transporting liquids frequently, I would go with the Husky. I cast a vote for the OEM ones because that's what I have and I like their rugged look.
What I can't tell is how weird the flap thingy that sticks up from the cargo side is. Is it a big deal?
I don't think so at all. If you expect that your third row will be down most of the time, then your third row will be down most of the time.
Seems like install requires some drilling which I'm not thrilled about.
I, too, remember something about this vaguely...I did not drill. I found the velcro strong enough to hold the tray in place and I do not put up/down the third row frequently for this to be an issue for me. Unless I installed mine incorrectly.

I have the Mazda version, my choice was easy because Husky didn't make theirs at the time. :)

Mazda also use velcro to attach to the rear of the 3rd row. You can even see the velcro strip on the picture of the Mazda mat posted above. The difference is that the Mazda model has those little "buttons" fasteners shown on the photo above (can't think of what they are actually called right now) that are used to better secure the velcro in place. They require drilling to make a little hole on the back of the 3rd seat row for them go into. A lot of people don't bother with them and only use the velcro. I decided to install them because when I push heavy luggage on the rubber mat the luggage don't really slide and the whole mat wants to follow. I like the idea of the extra force holding it in place and not ripping the velcro out.

That being said, I think it boils down to: "do you need spill protection" and "do you want the extra coverage of the side bins or not". Its nice to have the side pockets covered, unless you are using the compartment under them often (I keep my cargo straps in there). In that case it is easier to have access to these compartment with the mazda version. For spill protection though, in all cases unless you go with a solid mat like bronco boy suggested, you are still vulnerable to spills between the two 3rd row seats.

Final thoughts, the rear of the cargo area sits flush with the outside. It looks like the Husky lip would be higher and kind of "in the way". Not sure if its high enough to be a real issue or not.

Final thoughts, the rear of the cargo area sits flush with the outside. It looks like the Husky lip would be higher and kind of "in the way". Not sure if its high enough to be a real issue or not.

Nice insight Youri. This didn’t click for me until you said it, but then I ran out to see it for myself on my CX9 and was like, “Duh”. No wonder the Husky doesn’t look like it will lay flush. The lip sticking up would drive me nuts. I think this settles it for me, ordering the OEM.

Alright. This took a while but I finally not only put in the husky, but also took some time to cut up all the places I needed to and try to fit the husky again.

Even after 2-3 weeks of summer temperatures helping to soften and flatten the husky, it’s still a bit of an awkward fit. It hasn’t gotten as flat as I’d like and after cutting open the holes for the third row handles, I found fitting them perfectly to be challenging.

The material cuts fairly easily with a utility knife so that’s not too bad but the fit was tricky to get it to line up perfectly.

The bumpy fit is a bit annoying and while opening the main under trunk storage compartment isn’t bad, it really affects access to the two side cubbies.

Overall if I were to do it again, I’d get the oem cargo mat instead. This just has an awkwardness to it and it’s doubtful it would actually contain spills due to its shape, especially at the fold point.

Attachments

• 17EB6737-19D3-44A0-AA76-FBDC29AF0E9D.jpeg
    17EB6737-19D3-44A0-AA76-FBDC29AF0E9D.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 380
  • 42DD8579-BED0-4F09-AFA4-54590AB136FF.jpeg
    42DD8579-BED0-4F09-AFA4-54590AB136FF.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 348
A trick to get them flat is to let them sit upside down for a while. Sometimes I throw some light weight on them to help the process.

Glad you posted @inanimate because it reminded me to review mine. Got in two cargo mats: the OEM and the Maxpider 3D. First the OEM.

I’ll be brief: I thought it was weird with some questionable build quality.

7A323E4A-FF13-4207-B761-370734D2C903.jpeg

Full view.

1A16DA49-DF72-48AC-B54D-3DC198CA89DA.jpeg

Flap close up. Woof.
1) Even sitting in a hot car, I see no way this was ever going to lay flat.
2) Can’t you imagine pulling luggage out and these things getting caught
3) The Rubber flashing is really bad. Flashing is a manufacturing term. It means the leftover silicone or rubber material that gets squeezed outside of the tool die. Its the super thin stuff at the edges. Usually that gets trimmed in the factory. Seeing it here feels super low end.

BC729800-BBAD-4969-8A15-BABAE91BE9F5.jpeg
78EBEAD3-3030-4E7B-B66F-7AFD2099A568.jpeg
A1018060-B13A-49A9-8FDB-4DB9707F36DF.jpeg

Of all the mats I saw online, this one was the only one that properly dealt with the cut outs for the pull handles and car seat tether. The holes are molded in with rubber plugs to fill them if you want. The others (Husky and maybe Maxpider, I’ll get to that one in a bit.) Force you to cut the hole yourself.

Anyway, no shade to anyone out there who likes this mat, but didn’t do the trick for me. To my big surprise, I ended up going with the 3D Maxpider Cargo Tray. Will post on that one soon.

Great reviews. It is nice to see the comparison of both side by side. I honestly thought the Husky would fare better, I have the first and 2nd row and the fit is perfect, so I would have expected the cargo liner to be the same.

Looking forward to seeing the maxpider review because the OEM Mat now seems pretty crappy too.
My old CX-5 oem trunk mat was great but it didn’t have to deal with side cubbies or folding seats.

Ok, the Maxpider review.

C4188157-DF2F-48D5-A577-E760CA802EAB.jpeg

I was initially looking for something that folded with the 3rd row, and at first glance the Maxpider does that. It has a folding crease right near where the 3rd row folds. It also has bump outs molded in where the latches to raise and lower the seats are located.

There is even a reviewer on Amazon who shows it folding with the seat. But the caveat is they had to perform minor surgery to make that happen, cutting along the folding seam to allow the panel along the back of the 3rd row to move properly.

0F067937-553E-4DF5-B314-68404C707D28.jpegB65BC2D7-2339-4C93-B660-4580CDFB6EBA.jpeg
^ Amazon reviewer’s photos ^

Intrigued, I decided to order one, even though I wasn’t a fan of the molded in brick pattern or the raised plastic 3D badge clipped to the mat.

The fit to the contours of the interior is excellent as you can see here how tight the fit is to the wheel well pockets.

EEC40C80-41B8-4513-BC16-7CCD85FF230D.jpeg

FBA40F13-E841-4AEC-9242-FEA97E9A6C36.jpeg

F531224B-D849-4AF3-8581-B0B50B695661.jpeg

I like Maxpider’s solution to the edge of the cargo area. Instead of a raised lip (like WeatherTech and Husky have) or a fairly flat edge like the OEM has, they have a raised bump. It gives some liquid retaining features, but still soft enough to sit on the edge of the trunk after a hike or when tailgating.

The material that makes up the tray is actually pretty nice. It’s a 3 layer laminated sheet of: a waterproof rubbery upper layer (that’s what’s visible), a cushioned foam core, and bottom layer that has an anti skid backing that’s sort of like a light velcro type material.

I was worried the top layer would feel thin, cheap, or easily prone to tearing, but it’s fairly rugged. We just took the CX9 on a week long camping trip and really loaded up the cargo area. After getting it home and giving it a light vacuuming, it looks as good as new. No mars from sliding coolers and other equipment in and out of the trunk. The tray has also done a good job of preventing stuff from sliding around in the back. Things like reusable grocery bags stay reasonably locked down.

How I'm assuming Maxspider makes these is the laminated sheets come on big spooled rolls with the basketweave/carbon fiberlike texture already molded into the top layer. They then heat up a section of the sheet and thermoform it to the designed molds they have for each car.

I really like this woven texture. It fits the aesthetics of the CX9 much better than the rubbery trays of the Husky or WeatherTech in my opinion. The rubbery trays look better suited for a truck, if you squint at it the Maxpider looks like a fabric mat.

Once I installed it into the car, I came to the conclusion that Maxpider didn’t actually intend for this tray to fold with the seats. It LOOKS like it could based on the folding creases, but I’m led to believe those creases are only there to allow the tray to fold down into a smaller box for shipping. I could be like that Amazon reviewer and cut it along the seams, but that would take away the ability to prevent spills from dripping onto the 3rd row seats.

But if you raise the 3rd row up, the crease does allow the tray to move somewhat with the seat. If you don’t cut it, it will stick out above the back of 3rd row not aligned with. the latches or car seat tie down. Also, the light velcro material isn’t strong enough to hold the tray securely to the back. Not ideal, but workable in a pinch, especially compared to a tray like Weathertech’s which is only designed to lay flat on the 3rd row and never move.

967CB161-CA63-438B-978F-83497DA2BFAD.jpeg

Maxpider tray sticking above the back of the 3rd row when folded up.

After spending a few weeks with the CX9, I’ve come to conclusion that it will be an extremely rare occurrence for me to use the 3rd row seating so 99.9% of the time, having a tray that lays flat is fine.

Overall, I like the Maxpider cargo tray over the other solutions I have seen available for the CX9. It also inspired me to buy the premium Canadian OEM mats for the rest of the car to better match the Maxpider tray. Review on those coming soon.

Last edited:
Ok, the Maxpider review.

View attachment 226856

I was initially looking for something that folded with the 3rd row, and at first glance the Maxpider does that. It has a folding crease right near where the 3rd row folds. It also has bump outs molded in where the latches to raise and lower the seats are located.

There is even a reviewer on Amazon who shows it folding with the seat. But the caveat is they had to perform minor surgery to make that happen, cutting along the folding seam to allow the panel along the back of the 3rd row to move properly.

View attachment 226857View attachment 226858
^ Amazon reviewer’s photos ^

Intrigued, I decided to order one, even though I wasn’t a fan of the molded in brick pattern or the raised plastic 3D badge clipped to the mat.

The fit to the contours of the interior is excellent as you can see here how tight the fit is to the wheel well pockets.

View attachment 226860
View attachment 226861

View attachment 226859

I like Maxpider’s solution to the edge of the cargo area. Instead of a raised lip (like WeatherTech and Husky have) or a fairly flat edge like the OEM has, they have a raised bump. It gives some liquid retaining features, but still soft enough to sit on the edge of the trunk after a hike or when tailgating.

The material that makes up the tray is actually pretty nice. It’s a 3 layer laminated sheet of: a waterproof rubbery upper layer (that’s what’s visible), a cushioned foam core, and bottom layer that has an anti skid backing that’s sort of like a light velcro type material.

I was worried the top layer would feel thin, cheap, or easily prone to tearing, but it’s fairly rugged. We just took the CX9 on a week long camping trip and really loaded up the cargo area. After getting it home and giving it a light vacuuming, it looks as good as new. No mars from sliding coolers and other equipment in and out of the trunk. The tray has also done a good job of preventing stuff from sliding around in the back. Things like reusable grocery bags stay reasonably locked down.

How I'm assuming Maxspider makes these is the laminated sheets come on big spooled rolls with the basketweave/carbon fiberlike texture already molded into the top layer. They then heat up a section of the sheet and thermoform it to the designed molds they have for each car.

I really like this woven texture. It fits the aesthetics of the CX9 much better than the rubbery trays of the Husky or WeatherTech in my opinion. The rubbery trays look better suited for a truck, if you squint at it the Maxpider looks like a fabric mat.

Once I installed it into the car, I came to the conclusion that Maxpider didn’t actually intend for this tray to fold with the seats. It LOOKS like it could based on the folding creases, but I’m led to believe those creases are only there to allow the tray to fold down into a smaller box for shipping. I could be like that Amazon reviewer and cut it along the seams, but that would take away the ability to prevent spills from dripping onto the 3rd row seats.

But if you raise the 3rd row up, the crease does allow the tray to move somewhat with the seat. If you don’t cut it, it will stick out above the back of 3rd row not aligned with. the latches or car seat tie down. Also, the light velcro material isn’t strong enough to hold the tray securely to the back. Not ideal, but workable in a pinch, especially compared to a tray like Weathertech’s which is only designed to lay flat on the 3rd row and never move.

View attachment 226862
Maxpider tray sticking above the back of the 3rd row when folded up.

After spending a few weeks with the CX9, I’ve come to conclusion that it will be an extremely rare occurrence for me to use the 3rd row seating so 99.9% of the time, having a tray that lays flat is fine.

Overall, I like the Maxpider cargo tray over the other solutions I have seen available for the CX9. It also inspired me to buy the premium Canadian OEM mats for the rest of the car to better match the Maxpider tray. Review on those coming soon.
Totally agree with everything you said. I also purchased the Maxpider rear tray and have been very happy with it. Excellent price point and I also keep my 3rd row down 99.99999% of the time. It repels liquids well and is very easy to clean. Looks great too.

Thanks to everyone that posted in this thread. I currently drive a 6 GT Reserve and will be trading in for a CX-9. I’ve been researching mats for the rear cargo area and struck gold with this thread. This has been extremely helpful. Thank you!

The two best solutions I've seen for a cargo tray that attaches to the back of the third row and still allows it to move up and down are:

---------------------------
1. Mazda's Cargo Tray

+ Gives access to the car seat attachment.
+ CX9 branding (Don't judge me)

Don't like
- Doesn't cover the entire cargo area (The little areas off to the sides near the hatch.)
- Spills could run off the sides.
- Seems like install requires some drilling which I'm not thrilled about.

View attachment 226285

------------------------------------------
2. Husky's Cargo Tray

+ Tray has walls to help prevent spills.
+ More continuous coverage of the back, compared to the OEM.

Don't like
- No access to the car seat attachment.
- Doesn't look like it lays totally flat in some user pictures.
- Saw someone say that bottom of this is sort of like velcro and it pulls at the carpeted base. Don't want a weird jacked up looking carpet if I have to hose these down.

View attachment 226287
I just bought a cargo liner off the market brand from Amazon and trim to fit. I am looking for a cargo cover.

I just bought a cargo liner off the market brand from Amazon and trim to fit. I am looking for a cargo cover.
This thread is about Cargo Trays but to answer your question...I did a quick search and found this...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I'm not sure it's compatible but it appears to be (for your model year which I believe is 2011), in any case I hope that helps and let's keep this thread on topic. Note that you can start a new thread with your question if you like, thanks for you cooperation!

Now back to the topic at hand...:)

Back