CX-9 2019 Touring Service Manual?

:
CX-9
Hi guys,

Can anyone offer advise or point me in the right direction of how / where i can obtain a service manual for this car please?

Good question...The following resource might be helpful...

Easiest way is to be a Mazda certified service center and subscribe to their online service manual subscription service. They purposefully do not make service manuals available to the vehicle end users. I wish they did, but they don’t.

Check out alldata and see if they sell car specific service manuals. You might be able to access it for free through your local library as well.

Oh man. I just bought a 2017 CX-9 GT. I never even thought service manuals wouldn't be available. That really sucks. If Mazda is blocking the service manuals, then I guess this is my last ever Mazda. And I'll probably get rid of this soon. That is depressing.

Oh man. I just bought a 2017 CX-9 GT. I never even thought service manuals wouldn't be available. That really sucks. If Mazda is blocking the service manuals, then I guess this is my last ever Mazda. And I'll probably get rid of this soon. That is depressing.

Is there something specific you need the service manual for? I ask because some of our members have created DIY guides for basic maintenance tasks, and others have paid to get access to the service manuals for things like electrical schematics, then screencapped and posted them here for others to use as reference.

See here: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/2016-tc-cx9-workshop-service-manual.123859597/

Apparently you can purchase one-day access for $40, or one-year access for $1400. I personally wouldn't dump my CX-9 over a $40 service manual access charge, but everyone's different. Hope you stick around.

Is there something specific you need the service manual for? I ask because some of our members have created DIY guides for basic maintenance tasks, and others have paid to get access to the service manuals for things like electrical schematics, then screencapped and posted them here for others to use as reference.

See here: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/2016-tc-cx9-workshop-service-manual.123859597/

Apparently you can purchase one-day access for $40, or one-year access for $1400. I personally wouldn't dump my CX-9 over a $40 service manual access charge, but everyone's different. Hope you stick around.
Well, part of it is just the principle of it. I hate how corporations are making it hard or impossible for us to fix things.

No, I just bought the thing and it's in good shape. I hope all I'll need to do in the next few years is replace spark plugs and brake rotors and pads (along with oil and air filters, etc). But eventually I'll need to replace suspension components or a CV axle or something. Knowing the correct torque spec for all the bolts and nuts is important. I can understand not publishing information on how to rebuild an engine or transmission, that's the sort of thing you need a machine shop for anyway. But basic DIY info like brakes and suspension should be readily available. I watched the speedkar99's mechanical review of the CX-9 and was happy to see that the wheel bearings are bolted on instead of pressed in. This makes DIY bearing replacement a breeze. But without the proper torque specs, I guess I'll just have to guess what's right and hope for the best. That just makes it dangerous or prone to premature failure, but whatever, I can't really afford to pay mechanics to do all that for me.

If anyone does have access to a set of manuals, perhaps we should put together a spreadsheet of all the torque specs for the various bolts that we'd need to say, replace a CV, wheel bearing or control arm or whatever. These are things that can be done at home easily and safely - provided we have some official guidance.

ps: I've seen the resources and I'm pretty confident about changing the brakes, including the rear pads and rotors. But things like the EPB are the reason I want the manuals as without the right knowledge I'd probably screw it up. I'd hate to find similar surprises with other components.

Last edited:
Regarding torque specs, you don't have to guess. Those important specs in the service manuals are certainly worth a one time fee of $40 (to me, at least).

For the record, there are published resources for recommended torque values for specific bolts. Here's one example. There's also the US Recommended Bolt Torque Table. Of course, these aren't specific to the bolts used in the CX-9, but you can use these free resources as a reference and make more of an educated guess if absolutely necessary. But hopefully by the time you need these specs, someone out there will have already bought the one day pass, recorded Mazda's torque specs, and posted them online so everyone has access to them.

Maintenance mode for EPB-equipped Mazdas has been extensively documented. Lots of people have used the guides here to perform their own brake work with no issues. With the 2nd gen CX-9 out and about for 4+ years, most of the common procedures and even some uncommon procedures have already been documented by others. If you were to come across a procedure that you aren't familiar with, and that nobody has performed according to your own research on forums and other resources, then it would probably be best to let a professional perform the procedure.

Regarding torque specs, you don't have to guess. Those important specs in the service manuals are certainly worth a one time fee of $40 (to me, at least).

For the record, there are published resources for recommended torque values for specific bolts. Here's one example. There's also the US Recommended Bolt Torque Table. Of course, these aren't specific to the bolts used in the CX-9, but you can use these free resources as a reference and make more of an educated guess if absolutely necessary. But hopefully by the time you need these specs, someone out there will have already bought the one day pass, recorded Mazda's torque specs, and posted them online so everyone has access to them.

Maintenance mode for EPB-equipped Mazdas has been extensively documented. Lots of people have used the guides here to perform their own brake work with no issues. With the 2nd gen CX-9 out and about for 4+ years, most of the common procedures and even some uncommon procedures have already been documented by others. If you were to come across a procedure that you aren't familiar with, and that nobody has performed according to your own research on forums and other resources, then it would probably be best to let a professional perform the procedure.
What you say is reasonable, and yes, my hope is that more information is collected and documented. And yes, I'm aware of the EPB procedures, and yet, I have found comments on various forums of people who attempted a rear rotor change and ended up replacing a caliper or motor because of it - mostly because they were unaware of the EPB peculiarities. So there's that.

Certainly, I'm new to the CX-9 and Mazda in general (I've owned a pair of Supras, Prelude SH, and most recently a Nissan Murano - all built in Japan and happy to continue that trend with the CX-9) and I will lean on the community for info. YouTube is a great source of info too. And Sure, I'd be willing to pay $40 to get access occasionally, so long as I can make print outs or at the very least screen grabs of the info as I don't carry my laptop to the garage very often. Anyway, I'm kinda beating this to death here, I might have over reacted when I said I'll get rid of this car soon, no probably not unless it starts breaking down lots. I hope it lasts and I fully expect it to need less maintenance than my old Nissan (which is why I didn't get another Nissan).

PS: Where do you buy access to shop manuals for $40 a day? Google hasn't been helpful with that. I've found some dead links to what used to contain shop manuals, but they all appear to have been removed.

PS: Where do you buy access to shop manuals for $40 a day? Google hasn't been helpful with that. I've found some dead links to what used to contain shop manuals, but they all appear to have been removed.

I'm actually not sure.. In the thread I mentioned earlier, the poster never did state where he got the service manuals. I would first try calling the dealership. If no luck there, I'd try calling Mazda Corporate to see if they could point me in the right direction. Here are a couple of numbers you can try (I believe both are toll-free):

Mazda Customer Service: 1-800-263-4680
Mazda Customer Experience Center: 1-800-222-5500 (open Mon-Fri, from 5am-5pm PST)

That's something I may need to do. I looked at AllData and they have nothing for any Mazda since 2014. Mitchell however, appears to have something but you need to pay up first. Anyone here with a current Mitchell account?

1610138953418.png

Their pricing isn't too bad although it's subscription based. You choose a single vehicle and then pay for a month or three or I think up to a year. Not ideal but far better than nothing. HOWEVER, I'm not sure exactly what that gets you. Is it the full Mazda service manual, is it some crappy ripoff of the Mazda manual or do they just give you a copy of the Owners Manual you can get for free anywhere? I have no experience with these guys so I'm not sure what to expect. But, I guess if anyone needs to look at some official docs they can take one for the team and try it out and report back. I'm not expecting any need for the service manual any time soon, but when I do, I will consider this resource as well.

And here's where you can get official Mazda tech info: https://www.mazdaserviceinfo.com/

Subscriptions are as follows:
  • $29.95 - 24 hours subscription
  • $249.95 - 30 days subscription
  • $2250.00 - 1 year subscription
It's pretty steep but better than nothing I guess. It's not very DIY friendly. Perhaps Mazda thinks they're Apple and can just bleed their customers for cash.

And here's where you can get official Mazda tech info: https://www.mazdaserviceinfo.com/

Subscriptions are as follows:
  • $29.95 - 24 hours subscription
  • $249.95 - 30 days subscription
  • $2250.00 - 1 year subscription
It's pretty steep but better than nothing I guess. It's not very DIY friendly. Perhaps Mazda thinks they're Apple and can just bleed their customers for cash.

That's the correct link for North America. The reason it is not DIY friendly is because it is the actual service manual, meant for the mazda mechanics, but available for a fee for non-mazda mechanics (local shops, etc.). This is not a "mechanics for dummy" type manual, but once you are in it isn't too bad and things are in logical place and logical order, as long as you have the right document. For example, there is the service manual, there is another publication that explains the functions and the design of the systems, there is a wiring diagram, service bulletin, etc. The subscription is also good for every mazda model and years. You can print the sections you need to have them with you when you work on your car, but you can't export the entire service manual.

Usually when you find a service manual online, it is because someone found a way to export and share the manual. It is rarely because a car manufacturer made it public. It is partly a "we want to make money", but also probably mostly a liability issue, some repairs can be dangerous if not executed properly (torque value if not followed as you mentioned i a good example.) There is always the Haynes manuals as well, but they haven't been good at offering manuals for Mazda's for some reason.

Back