CX-5 won't start, warning lights on, please help

I had my windshield tinted yesterday and when I went to get into my Mazda CX5 Grand Touring I noticed the check engine light, the heated seats lights and the passenger seat belt lights were on. I got my vehicle home and it quit and wont start at all. when I got back in this morning I noticed that my security sensor light is blinking red and upon reading something it said my key is no longer programmed for my Mazda is there something that I can do without having to have a dealer look at it?

Welcome once again and thanks for the PM. I see you've posted your question which is a good start...I moved your thread to the CX-5 General sub-forum and updated your title to be more descriptive.

Hopefully people will chime in here to help and I hope it's nothing serious!

Possibly battery, would be interesting to know what the CEL is but unless you have one of those $5 reader you can't take it somewhere to have the code pulled now. How long did it take to tint window? Sometimes they play music and drain the battery.

Try disconnecting and reconnecting the starter battery. If you have a battery tender, try to charge the battery.

That said, based on the description and without a code provided, it could be an electrical fault that needs to be checked out by a dealer or qualified mechanic. You didn't mention the year of the car and whether it is in warranty.

Possibly battery, would be interesting to know what the CEL is but unless you have one of those $5 reader you can't take it somewhere to have the code pulled now. How long did it take to tint window? Sometimes they play music and drain the battery.

I am not so sure it's the battery. The security sensor light is blinking red and it's totally locked up. It also has a horrendous smell inside.

we still dont know the year and trim level of your vehicle to help better.
Without some basic tools / information this troubleshooting is gonna be difficult.

step 1 get some basic diagnostic tools

ODB2 reader (you need a free app on your phone as well)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

voltmeter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

won't or can't get the above parts? have a strong electrical smell in the interior.. time to start pulling fuses and physically looking at them. There are fuses are in the lower kick panel of the driver side area (North America) and under the hood on the left side (as facing the windshield) near the battery.

need an owner's manual?
https://www.mazdausa.com/owners/how-to-use-my-mazda

need a service manual? (would be helpful to know what year your vehicle is to point you in the correct direction)

I am not so sure it's the battery. The security sensor light is blinking red and it's totally locked up. It also has a horrendous smell inside.
The smell is a bad sign. Fuses don't smell when they blow. Something else burned up, possibly (probably?) because your tinting crew shorted something out.

I'd take the car to the dealer, and if there's a bill, send it to the tinting outfit.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

The smell is a bad sign. Fuses don't smell when they blow. ...

In normal operating mode .. correct a fuse would not smell when overloaded.. but... we are troubleshooting based on very limited knowledge here. If a fuse was previously incorrectly replaced with an over sized one.. then the wiring could smell AND the fuse be blown (in a fault state).

@Kimmersue hasn't provided any details on year or mileage or region of the world where the vehicle is operated. There have been no mention of any previous upgrades to the electrical system or any other accessories in use on a vehicle. Simply this thread is not going to get closer to a solution until OP responds and provides more details.

Try disconnecting and reconnecting the starter battery. If you have a battery tender, try to charge the battery.

That said, based on the description and without a code provided, it could be an electrical fault that needs to be checked out by a dealer or qualified mechanic. You didn't mention the year of the car and whether it is in warranty.
It is a 2018 Mazda cx5. I have a tow truck coming to take it to a dealer to get looked at.

The smell is a bad sign. Fuses don't smell when they blow. Something else burned up, possibly (probably?) because your tinting crew shorted something out.

I'd take the car to the dealer, and if there's a bill, send it to the tinting outfit.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
I will be sure to let you all know how everything works out.

I'm getting my guess in before the OP provides an update...

The OP said their WINDSHIELD was tinted, which is the key clue here.

The water/soap solutions sprayed on the windshield during the tinting process ran down through the base of the windshield/defrost vents/center channel speaker.

It then shorted out/fried a variety of electrical components behind the dash.

Thanks everyone for all the advice it ended up being a easy fix. My tow truck driver got the key and showed me how to reset the security sensor and it started right up. I was so relieved and it did not cost a penny.

Thanks everyone for all the advice it ended up being a easy fix. My tow truck driver got the key and showed me how to reset the security sensor and it started right up. I was so relieved and it did not cost a penny.
Great to hear. Sounds like you dodged a bullet.

smell was the cleaner they used. The tow truck driver said more than likely they got the sensor wet and it caused everything to go haywire and shut everything down but once it dried it was all good and we were able to reset it.🙂

My tow truck driver got the key and showed me how to reset the security sensor and it started right up. I was so relieved and it did not cost a penny.
Great outcome!

What was the procedure for resetting the security sensor? Would be good to know...

Back