CX-5 won't fully shut off

Mohr

:
CX-5
Start and driving car seems fine. When stopped and car put in park, it appears that pushing the start button does not fully shut off car. Radio on, fan on etc. the engine shuts off but not all the accessories. Thoughts?

What year is the car?

It sounds like it could be the sensor that senses the trans shifter is in park, or the button on the shift lever is stuck.

Try pushing the shifter button on and off numerous times, and also try moving lever into the P position with a little more force, or even try to press against the lever while trying to turn the car off and see if that helps.

I have the same issue, albeit intermittently on my 2014. No idea, but am suspecting sensor issue as well. I have been pushing my gated shifter into P more forcefully and pushing the button and its been turning off lately.

I thought I saw a TSB for that for the KE somewhere in this board....

Moved out of the how to section - see stickied thread in that subforum

Is your gear in Park position? I have heard somewhere that if the shifter is not in Park position or not sensing the right Park position, and you Push start to turn off the car. Then the radio stays on. -- Can anyone confirm or provide more information on this?

I think there is supposedly a feature that, while the car is running, and you press brake pedal, then Push start to turn off the car. Then the radio stays on? -- Can anyone confirm this too?

I have not seen issues myself, or done steps above.

Is your gear in Park position? I have heard somewhere that if the shifter is not in Park position or not sensing the right Park position, and you Push start to turn off the car. Then the radio stays on. -- Can anyone confirm or provide more information on this?

I think there is supposedly a feature that, while the car is running, and you press brake pedal, then Push start to turn off the car. Then the radio stays on? -- Can anyone confirm this too?

I have not seen issues myself, or done steps above.

This is 200% correct. If you accidentally leave your gear in non P position and shut down the car (push button) the vehicle is NOT switched off completely. I was new to push button and early 1st month of ownership had twice the battery die on me. I pushed the button down 1st., before moving the gear to P. Next day - come to car to find battery = dead.

This is 200% correct. If you accidentally leave your gear in non P position and shut down the car (push button) the vehicle is NOT switched off completely. I was new to push button and early 1st month of ownership had twice the battery die on me. I pushed the button down 1st., before moving the gear to P. Next day - come to car to find battery = dead.

.......and the parking brake stuck?

Where’s my Kevlar vest ;-)

My car was with the dealer for almost 2 weeks and that's after they had replaced the switch unit indicated in this thread. They finally said that there are reported with iPhones being plugged into charger blocks in the Aux Power connector under the radio. The phone sends some back voltage which basically confuses the car and produces some U300 error code. I can't find any posts that describe this. Anyone ever hear of such a thing? It seems far fetched to me.

We just bought a 2019 CX-5 10 days ago, wouldn't turn completely off last night. Called Mazda Corporate today. They are aware of the problem, and fortunately ours is still under warranty. Did what they said plus what I have read - jiggle the shift lever, go through the gears and put into park forcefully - nothing worked. As I was sitting in the car after getting off the phone with Mazda, I thought, maybe I should press the brake pedal like when I start it. I did and that worked, the car shut completely off. I still have an appt to get the "switch unit" replaced next week.
Start and driving car seems fine. When stopped and car put in park, it appears that pushing the start button does not fully shut off car. Radio on, fan on etc. the engine shuts off but not all the accessories. Thoughts?

We just bought a 2019 CX-5 10 days ago, wouldn't turn completely off last night. Called Mazda Corporate today. They are aware of the problem, and fortunately ours is still under warranty. Did what they said plus what I have read - jiggle the shift lever, go through the gears and put into park forcefully - nothing worked. As I was sitting in the car after getting off the phone with Mazda, I thought, maybe I should press the brake pedal like when I start it. I did and that worked, the car shut completely off. I still have an appt to get the "switch unit" replaced next week.
So have you ever be able to shut the engine and all other accessories off before this incident without stepping on brake pedal? Glad you eventually figured the thing out by yourself. And now you can cancel the appointment for a new gear shifter “switch unit”. :)

So have you ever be able to shut the engine and all other accessories off before this incident without stepping on brake pedal? Glad you eventually figured the thing out by yourself. And now you can cancel the appointment for a new gear shifter “switch unit”. :)
Why would he want to cancel the appt? Obviously you shouldn't need to press the brake pedal once you're in park. The car knows that it's running so the next step after pressing the start button would be for the ECU to shut the car down. Standard programming.

Why would he want to cancel the appt? Obviously you shouldn't need to press the brake pedal once you're in park. The car knows that it's running so the next step after pressing the start button would be for the ECU to shut the car down. Standard programming.
Never aware if I could shut everything down without pressing the brake pedal as I always shut the engine and power off with my foot on the brake after I shifted the gear into Park and pulled the parking brake for safety reason.

So yes Taz should take his 10-day-old CX-5 to his Mazda dealer for the problem. Sorry for the confusion!

Yes. It was shutting off like it should before the incident. And this evening it's back to working like it should without having to press on the brake. Still keeping my appt to have the switch unit replaced.

My car was with the dealer for almost 2 weeks and that's after they had replaced the switch unit indicated in this thread. They finally said that there are reported with iPhones being plugged into charger blocks in the Aux Power connector under the radio. The phone sends some back voltage which basically confuses the car and produces some U300 error code. I can't find any posts that describe this. Anyone ever hear of such a thing? It seems far fetched to me.

I guess that I missed this one last year.

A cell phone caused this issue? That sound like a load of BS to me.

Back