CX-5 w/ manual: real-world MPG?

SPL Tech

:
CX5
I am looking at getting a used 2013 or 2014 CX-5 Sport w/ the manual tranny. Quick history: I sleep in my car during extended road trips, and I bought a Jetta TDI because it gets 30/41 MPG w/ diesel, but it sucks to sleep in so I want something larger. I am wondering what real-world MPGs I can expect with the CX5. EPA says 26/35 MPG, but I know real-world results differ. My Jetta gets about 45 on the highway at 60 MPH, compared to the 40 MPG rating. So, on the highway, what type of MPG can I expect driving at 60 MPH and driving at 80 MPH with the CX5 manual tranny?

Also, does this vehicle have any "known problems?" Most cars do. For example, in my Jetta it's known the high pressure fuel pump can fail, leading to a $10k bill. It's happened to many people. Most vehicles have some type of engineering flaw that can be pinpointed, just wondering what the CX-5s is.

Last, what are the most expensive scheduled maintenance elements that are required? I also really hated that maintenance costs on my Jetta were through the roof.

The CX-5 sport seats DO NOT fold completly flat, so that might be a problem for sleeping. Make sure you check that out! I think someone on here removed the rear seat cushion to get a fully flat area in the back.

check out this thread at cleanmpg.com for stead state MPG: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43832&page=3

The reviewer there got 42.1 at steady 60mph and 36.6 at 70MPH
Those numbers sound about right to me given no wind and level road surface, but I never cruise at such low speeds for extended amounts of time.

On long freeway drives up north where I typically average 73-74MPH door to door I get between 29-30MPG. (that is going 80+ at times, and slower at other times depending on traffic and law enforcement conditions). On my easy 12 mile commute back and forth to work I get ~35MPG. I get my very best fuel economy (45+) in heavy freeway traffic (speeds 5-45MPH with almost no use of brake)

A couple points, this car HATES wind. Even a slight crosswind will reduce the fuel economy quite a bit. This car also does poorly on short trips. A couple short drives around town hurt the average MPG much more than expected.

I don't know of any serious "known problems". There is a TSB for the manual transmission (TSB 05-008/14) not wanting to go into or popping out of third gear. The listed fix involves the dealer opening the transmission and replacing one of the internal components. I don't think this problem is common, and if it does occur it would be covered under the 60k power-train warranty.

here is the maintenance schedule. Other than oil changes and a coolant replacement at 120k there is almost nothing to be done other than the obvious brakes and tires.
https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/pdf/maint_schedules/2014_CX5_MS.pdf

I don't know about 60 mph, but at 65mph I was averaging about 38-39 mpg. My gas mileage has went down some lately though to around 35-36 mpg. I installed new wheels and tires which ended up being 4.5 lbs heavier each and I lowered the car.

The CX-5 mileage varies widely due to its high wind resistance.
My 2.5L has gotten 32mpg @ 80mph with a 20mph tailwind.
My 2.5L has gotten 24mpg @ 80mph with a 20mph headwind.
My 2.5L generally gets 27mpg @ 70mph.
My 2.5L generally gets 32mpg @ 50mph.

The CX-5 currently has no known expensive mechanical issues. The infotainment system has problems with USB and iphones. There are no crazy expensive maintenance issues either. The CX-5 may have windshield crack problems, but that is TBD. Safe bet is make sure you are insured for windshield cracks.

If you intend to sleep in the CX-5 be aware there is a one inch drop from seat to rear area. If you get 3" foam mattress or air mattress, it won't be an issue. The seats fold flat. If you are 5'1' you will be able to stretch out and sleep, but if you are taller your head will not be supported due to a 11" gap behind front seats. The fix is to sleep diagonal, which takes up all your storage space, or build a sleeping platform to extend eleven inches. I made one. It also flattens out the one inch drop if you put 2x2 pieces under the rear section. When flat, you can use a thermarest mattress which stores in a small space when compressed and rolled up. Here it is.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123838667-CX-5-How-to-Build-a-Sleepinng-Platform

Last edited:
I have had my 6 speed 2.0L for 2.5 years. I have roof racks as well.
Overall with 75% highway driving I get consistently 31mpg - calculated by hand. (the computer says ~32.5) I do not hypermile, I rev up and down, etc..

It all depends on where do you drive too.
I drive in LA and my 2.5 L's MPG is horrible, ~22 MPG.
If I manage to drive a long stretch on normal freeway speeds, then it gets above 25 MPG easily.

averaging 37.9MPG over last 20K miles

Getting 7.2/100KM (32.6mpg ) mix of city/hwy or 5.6l (42mpg)just on the highway at a steady 115km/h (2thumbs)

the car is still very new with only 9k km on it

Last edited:
The CX-5 mileage varies widely due to its high wind resistance.

Really? The drag coefficent of the CX-5 is only moderately higher than the Prius, which is supposedly the most aerodynamic economy car on the market. Edmunds lists CX-5 as 0.33 Cd and Prius as 0.25 Cd and the Prius C as 0.28 Cd and the Jetta as 0.30 Cd.

Really? The drag coefficent of the CX-5 is only moderately higher than the Prius, which is supposedly the most aerodynamic economy car on the market. Edmunds lists CX-5 as 0.33 Cd and Prius as 0.25 Cd and the Prius C as 0.28 Cd and the Jetta as 0.30 Cd.

My CX-5 mileage can vary 8mpg depending on the wind. Never had a car like this, but its an SUV, so typical. Compare highway mileage of Mazda3 (41mpg) and CX-5 (32mpg) with same 2.5L. Wind resistance is why.

Last edited:

The drag coefficient doesn't take into account the frontal area (which is considerably higher for a CX-5 than a Prius). Also, drag coefficient doesn't attempt to take into account side winds which can increase drag to a surprising degree. Every shape responds differently to side wind.

My CX-5 mileage can vary 8mpg depending on the wind. Never had a car like this, but its an SUV, so typical. Compare highway mileage of Mazda3 (41mpg) and CX-5 (32mpg) with same 2.5L. Wind resistance is why.

I always thought it was interesting the 2.5L supposedly gets the same fuel economy as the 2.0L. That seems hard to believe. In every model of every vehicle I have ever seen, the larger engine option always gets worse fuel economy.

I always thought it was interesting the 2.5L supposedly gets the same fuel economy as the 2.0L. That seems hard to believe. In every model of every vehicle I have ever seen, the larger engine option always gets worse fuel economy.

The 2.0L can get amazing mpg on the hiway or hyper miling.
However, the city mpg rating is only 1mpg away from the 2.5L at 26mpg vs. 25mpg.
To each his own.

My 6spd with 20x8.5 tsw wheels, a little heavier than the stock 19's, i'm getting about an average of 27 mpg (50/50 freeway and streets)

Never went below 30MPG when I had 2.0L MT. It did range from 30-35MPG. 17,000 driven with 2.0L MT.

Bringing this thread back from the dead (bored at work).

My CX5 spends apprx 70% hwy, 30% city. So far my tank averages have been about 30-34 mpg. My driving style is for the most part very tame, but if i do get a chance to drive in the local mountain and canyon roads around here I will take it. I usually get above EPA figures for my manual transmission vehicles. This is the first vehicle that I've had that was stick that actually got within EPA figures, which is ok. It's the most fuel efficient vehicle I have ever owned and so far I am very satisfied with the gas mileage.

I'm averaging about 30-1/2 MPG, hoping that it gets a little better when broken in a bit. I have kept very good records of fuel economy calculated at each fillup using the Android FillUp app.

Interesting comparison between my '16 CX-5 and my '06 Escape. Both manuals and driven exclusively by me (same conditions and technique):

1zg87bs.jpg

I'm averaging about 30-1/2 MPG, hoping that it gets a little better when broken in a bit. I have kept very good records of fuel economy calculated at each fillup using the Android FillUp app.

Interesting comparison between my '16 CX-5 and my '06 Escape. Both manuals and driven exclusively by me (same conditions and technique):

1zg87bs.jpg
214K! Did you replace the clutch?

214K! Did you replace the clutch?

Funny you should mention that. I bought a replacement sometime back, anticipating having to change it. Everything I've read tells me that 175K on a clutch is a "gift", and anything above almost unheard of. Considering I've towed and driven a mix of city suburban driving in a hilly area, I figured it would have needed replacement by now.

The replacement clutch is still in the box as I continue driving the Escape for my commute (80 miles round trip). The CX-5 is the Escape's replacement, but I'm pretty much driving it for everything except commuting at this point.

34s0745.jpg

The Escape, by the way has been ridiculously reliable.

Back