CX-5 vs. Subaru CrossTrek vs. RAV4 vs Nissan Rogue

Just purchased a 2021 Crosstrek limited. It offers almost every tech and safety feature available, must better value compared to the CX-5.
Insurance on this vehicle is very low do to all the safety features. Great value for under 30k.
I love the sound system in the Crosstrek. Far better than the trash Bose in a CX5 Signature/GTR. That said, the CT is a total pud in comparison athleticism wise, and it IS smaller/less capacity.

It's a shame what I'm hearing about Subarus. I had a 2002 Forester that I kept until 2012. I had the head gasket problem and it took them forever to figure it out. They'd replace one thing and then another, and I'd end up back in traffic with the temp monitor creeping up toward the red zone. Otherwise, I loved my Forester -- the handling, the look, the visibility, etc. I love the way Crosstreks and Foresters look now, but I never want to feel like I have to keep taking panicked looks at my temp gauge every couple minutes again. I routinely keep cars for at least 10 years, so I need something I can depend on.
It’s interesting that you had an overheating problem, and that your shop couldn’t figure out that it was an HG issue. The 1996 to 2000 2.5s nearly all developed an internal leak in the head gasket. Ours didn’t do it until 196k miles, so I kind of gave it a pass, but still. With the exhaust gasses leaking into the engine, they would quickly overheat, and if you didn’t catch it, you would warp the heads. I was aware of the potential problem for some time, and caught mine immediately, so it was less of a repair.

The 2000-2004 series, and pretty much everything after that, had an external leak. You would usually start to notice either water or oil dripping from the head-cylinder joint. The car wouldn’t overheat, but if left alone, there was potential for oil and water mix. It wasn’t as drastic a problem, but still, almost every car eventually develops it, and it is a very expensive repair.

The aftermarket head gaskets that people would use for the repair never leaked, so Subaru certainly could have fixed this problem at any time, but chose not to, and that’s what finally drove me off as a customer - that and spending a few years in a BMW and getting spoiled with good handling.

This was all such common knowledge that your shop should have suspected it immediately. Oh well, life goes on. They are just cars after all. There is more to life than all this.

I love the sound system in the Crosstrek. Far better than the trash Bose in a CX5 Signature/GTR. That said, the CT is a total pud in comparison athleticism wise, and it IS smaller/less capacity.
Now I know your ears are broken. My buddy has a Crosstrek, stereo is trash.

Point: Audio is super subjective.

Toyota Venza: If Toyota would just sell the car, with the packages on their website, I think I’d have bought one, but the damn things always come with floor mats, or packages I don’t want. For instance, both the XLE and Limited models simply don’t have the configuration I want in California although other states have them. Hoping to rent one in the next couple of weeks.
I thought they stopped selling the Venza in 2015, but I see they are bringing it back in 2021...they say it is really a Toyota Harrier from Japan

I suppose this is like the way they brought in the Toyota Avensis rebadged as a Lexus HS 250h back in the day. This just reminds you how big Toyota is, and how varied their model selection is. They can afford to bring in cars like the Lexus HS and CT until they were able to offer more hybrids across the North American lineup...or at least that is my impression

Totally gutless. On a test drive with the 2.0l engine, I was unable to pass a cement truck on a 2-lane, downsloping freeway entrance ramp with it floored. Had to follow it on, tail tucked. Turned around and went back at the next exit. Good riddance!

For 2021, the upper 2 trims come with the 2.5l engine, the same one in larger base models, so it should be more tolerable. It’s still in the same class as the CX-30 and HRV.
I agree that the 2.0 Crosstrek is totally gutless after 2018 test drives. The new 2021’s should be better with the 2.5L. As others have said, the Crosstrek is not in the same class as the CX5, smaller and more CX3 or CX30 class. However, for me, the Crosstrek is one of the best looking Subaru ever. If it had a turbo, it would be a winner. They will never do that in the foreseeable future. I think they can’t build enough of them with the naturally aspirated engines. Once the 2.5 L sales start lagging, they might think about a turbo, but then there will be a new generation of Crosstrek out....

I think the Forrester is the natural competition there, with its 2.5L engine. That being said, the Subaru is big on practicality, boxy, good storage, great visibility, and highly utilitarian in nature. In my opinion, the CX5 is much better overall package style exterior wise and interior wise, and the CX5 has a turbo option. The Forester XT was blast for me in a 2015 test drive.

Last edited:
Now I know your ears are broken. My buddy has a Crosstrek, stereo is trash.

Point: Audio is super subjective.
I legit know noone who prefers Bose to HK. Is your buddy's crosstrek the HK optioned one?

*Also yes, my hearing is trash. But I know muddy sound when I hear it, and the Bose really shows its arse when you compare it to HK.

I know he has the upper trim one, not sure if it's HK, honestly. Agree with @Chas that the CTrek LOOKS damn good. It was on my short list in 2016 because of that.

Not my style, but different folks, different strokes.

My Mom has a 2015 Crosstrek. I don't like it at all. Looks, the interior, seat comfort (awful, rock hard), and it being so gutless.

Not my style, but different folks, different strokes.

My Mom has a 2015 Crosstrek. I don't like it at all. Looks, the interior, seat comfort (awful, rock hard), and it being so gutless.
I’ve always thought they looked pretty good, but it’s usually my wife and I, lots of gear and a dog, so it’s just too small. I didn’t know about the gutless issue. I have a friend that just got a 2018 CX-3. If I wanted a smaller car, I’d look that way.

The CX-5 is not 'the best' per se. It doesn't have 'the best' mileage or cargo room. All agree it has the best drive experience and obviously, the best for us, but the CR-V is still considered the best in class by many. All your choices are solid, but a drive will tell you which is right for you.

The CX-5 is not 'the best' per se. It doesn't have 'the best' mileage or cargo room. All agree it has the best drive experience and obviously, the best for us, but the CR-V is still considered the best in class by many. All your choices are solid, but a drive will tell you which is right for you.

Agreed. It might seem like a hassle, but it can be very helpful to bring "priority stuff" with you on your test drives. By this, I mean things like car seats, luggage, golf bags, strollers. Or just bring a tape measure and record the LxWxH dimensions of the cargo area since many manufacturers don't list them.

Don't forget about the 2022 Mitsubishi Outlander (basically a better looking and longer warranty Rogue - in my opinion at least), and yeah I know it's a Hyundai and I can never spell it right unless I spell check it, but the new Tucson 2021 looks also interesting ...

I also love the rugged/utilitarian look of the Crosstrek but it didn't have enough power for my lead foot. As an aside, I'm not sure when the Scooby's started having/reporting problems, as I drove my 2005 and 2013 WRX's pretty hard, but maybe those are different animals

Agreed. It might seem like a hassle, but it can be very helpful to bring "priority stuff" with you on your test drives. By this, I mean things like car seats, luggage, golf bags, strollers. Or just bring a tape measure and record the LxWxH dimensions of the cargo area since many manufacturers don't list them.
Most excellent point, along with a good long test drive, I even once took an Acura home overnight. Too many posts similar to.... "I didn't realize the such-and-such didn't fit/armrest uncomfortable/hit my knee/doesn't respond to throttle/bumpy ride/too loud/trunk room wasn't good.......you get the idea.

Don't forget about the 2022 Mitsubishi Outlander (basically a better looking and longer warranty Rogue - in my opinion at least), and yeah I know it's a Hyundai and I can never spell it right unless I spell check it, but the new Tucson 2021 looks also interesting ...
Holy s*%&, are you serious? 🤮

Attachments

• 2022-Mitsubishi-Outlander-1.jpg
    2022-Mitsubishi-Outlander-1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 87
Holy s*%&, are you serious? 🤮

Haha yeah, I like it but I realize it will be hard for people to get used to it :)
I think in a dark silver color it would look pretty good, I don't care much for the silver accents ...

Attachments

• 2022-mitsubishi-outlander-exterior (1).jpg
    2022-mitsubishi-outlander-exterior (1).jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 2022-mitsubishi-outlander-exterior.jpg
    2022-mitsubishi-outlander-exterior.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 91
It would look better with blacked out chrome accents, that's for sure.

I do appreciate it being different. We need more companies to try new things.

Back