Guide CX-5 Universal Oil Catch Can Installation

hmm, then I'm watched the wrong videos. I saw felilxd videos. From his valve cleaning video at about 28km to this catch can disassembly video at 41km (13km or ~ 8k miles), he observes *some* oil, but unless I missed where he drained the intake manifold and measured, it would appear to be fractions of an ounce coating the intake manifold. Did Felix quantify it further? Otherwise, I too am waiting for felix to post results from his catch can use. If it captures a *significant* amount of oil, I'll wait until after 60k miles to consider a catch can, so as not to risk drivetrain warranty.

We also don't know whether his (our) PCV valve condition contributes to the oil consumption. You might/should have to clean it or replace at regular intervals, which requires an intake manifold removal anyway.

Something else to consider; manual valve cleaning was really quite simple to do at about 30k miles. There was minor carbon buildup at that point, and I'm glad to repeat that procedure every 30k ~ 50k miles or so, especially if a capture can is only moderately effective.
felixd’s first video had a lot of oil dripping out from intake manifold when he took it out and cleaned the valve carbon deposit. This video the valve looked a lot better, and the oil was a lot less in the manifold. He put the catch can, I believe, mainly because he saw so much oil the first time he took the manifold out. Chris_Top_Her can tell you how much oil he got in his catch can if he saw the discussion here.

I have seen this video. Very good. And to my point....not much oil, at least for his VW. Mostly water and blowby products, which aren't the primary cause of carbon buildup on intake valves, as I understand it.

felixd’s first video had a lot of oil dripping out from intake manifold when he took it out and cleaned the valve carbon deposit. This video the valve looked a lot better, and the oil was a lot less in the manifold. He put the catch can, I believe, mainly because he saw so much oil the first time he took the manifold out. Chris_Top_Her can tell you how much oil he got in his catch can if he saw the discussion here.
I would like to add in this 2nd video there's also a good amount of oil trapped within the intake manifold i forgot to add to this video clip.

Did you drain the intake to get an approx measurement trapped in there? Otherwise, all I remember in the video is some accumulation around the manifold ports, which might look like a lot, but may be fractions of an ounce in reality. And in the 2nd vid, 13km had elapsed since you first vid? Does your catch can have a sintered bronze filter?

And note that I *want* a catch can to be effective, but there are so many ineffective aftermarket solutions, all claiming to solve things "the dullard OEM's couldn't be bothered to solve". From the near-cult addiction to certain oil brands, viscocities, additives, change intervals, oil filter wars, intake system battles, spark plugs... Now days, I just start off cynical of new products, until someone(s) OTHER THAN the manufacturer or sponsored party perform controlled tests. Project Farm is quite good at this.

Andm BTW, thank for the inspiration to pull the intake to clean valves! At about 30k miles, I did't have significant manifold oil accumulation, nor any dramtic carbon build up on the valves. I cleaned them anyway, but there wasn't much (if any) change in drivability, smoothness or MPG.

Last edited:
hmm, then I'm watched the wrong videos. I saw felilxd videos. From his valve cleaning video at about 28km to this catch can disassembly video at 41km (13km or ~ 8k miles), he observes *some* oil, but unless I missed where he drained the intake manifold and measured, it would appear to be fractions of an ounce coating the intake manifold. Did Felix quantify it further? Otherwise, I too am waiting for felix to post results from his catch can use. If it captures a *significant* amount of oil, I'll wait until after 60k miles to consider a catch can, so as not to risk drivetrain warranty.

We also don't know whether his (our) PCV valve condition contributes to the oil consumption. You might/should have to clean it or replace at regular intervals, which requires an intake manifold removal anyway.

Something else to consider; manual valve cleaning was really quite simple to do at about 30k miles. There was minor carbon buildup at that point, and I'm glad to repeat that procedure every 30k ~ 50k miles or so, especially if a capture can is only moderately effective.

He works on other people's cars. How do we know its the same car?

In this video felilxd did say the oil in intake manifold and the carbon deposit on valves are less than last time he took the manifold out for cleaning the deposit. So we can assume it’s the same CX-5 in 2 videos.

it is the same car.. i dont work on other peoples car.
You need a 2nd catch can to see how much blow by is getting past the 1st catch can :)
I think one is enough :D
Did you drain the intake to get an approx measurement trapped in there? Otherwise, all I remember in the video is some accumulation around the manifold ports, which might look like a lot, but may be fractions of an ounce in reality. And in the 2nd vid, 13km had elapsed since you first vid? Does your catch can have a sintered bronze filter?

And note that I *want* a catch can to be effective, but there are so many ineffective aftermarket solutions, all claiming to solve things "the dullard OEM's couldn't be bothered to solve". From the near-cult addiction to certain oil brands, viscocities, additives, change intervals, oil filter wars, intake system battles, spark plugs... Now days, I just start off cynical of new products, until someone(s) OTHER THAN the manufacturer or sponsored party perform controlled tests. Project Farm is quite good at this.

Andm BTW, thank for the inspiration to pull the intake to clean valves! At about 30k miles, I did't have significant manifold oil accumulation, nor any dramtic carbon build up on the valves. I cleaned them anyway, but there wasn't much (if any) change in drivability, smoothness or MPG.
The oils inside the intake manifold isn't too much. but i can confirm it is about 50ml - 60ml of oil accumulate inside the intake manifold after 13 - 14K kms after my previous intake manifold clean up. Maybe Best thing to do if you don't have catch can install as yet . Get sort of a vacuum tool / syringe with tube attached and uninstall the throttle body to vacuum out the excess oils trapped inside the intake manifold.

yes this oil catch can are the replica of MishMoto brand. it comes with bronze filteration.

Reactions: AVC
I read some papers that the SkyActiv motor GDI system was designed to minimize carbon buildup and that it is rarely an issue, BUT, requires more than short trips so as the motor reaches a higher temperature to resolve the carbon buildup issue, is this fact or fiction ?

I read some papers that the SkyActiv motor GDI system was designed to minimize carbon buildup and that it is rarely an issue, BUT, requires more than short trips so as the motor reaches a higher temperature to resolve the carbon buildup issue, is this fact or fiction ?

These all might be of interest:

and

oh the horror!

TLDR; Mazda's engine is just a prone to carbon build up as other manufactures using direct injection .. just the nature of the beast. Negating factors.. drive your vehicle spiritedly often. Use a quality oil, change your oil. But yes you will need to be aware of carbon build up.

@felixd any more updates on the catch can? I have been observing about .5 qt (16 oz oil level drop) in about 8000 miles. It makes me even more skeptical that a catch can would capture but a small fraction of this oil loss (assuming most is lost via the PCV system).

Last edited:
@felixd any more updates on the catch can? I have been observing about .5 qt (16 oz oil level drop) in about 8000 miles. It makes me even more skeptical that a catch can would capture but a small fraction of this oil loss (assuming most is lost via the PCV system).
Hi , just did another oil change 8000kms later. Checked my oil catch can and yes the oil catch can has capture some more oil similar to my old short videos and it works well capturing the unwanted oil vapours.

So an ounce or two of actual oil at best? For me that would be catching 2 of 32 oz that was lost (presumably via PCV), or about 6%. Not a great, IMO.

So an ounce or two of actual oil at best? For me that would be catching 2 of 32 oz that was lost (presumably via PCV), or about 6%. Not a great, IMO.
But that's 2oz of gunk not able to cake on your throttle body and the back of your valves. And that's 5k mile interval.

Well, the deposits won't collect in your throttle body, and a 6% capture would not be compelling for me, to plumb in a catch can and add a routine of checking and emptying it. IN other words, 94% of the oil vapor and mist is making it to the valves. Even if the cans catch 10%, it's still 90% INEFFECTIVE.

As for "gunk" oil is the primary offender to capture to mitigate valve deposits, not the water (condensed vapor), which is largely neutral but constitutes the majority of these catch contents, that I've seen in these videos.

Now you have a hint why OEM's don't use or recommend them; ineffective (as we find them in the market today), require periodic emptying, and catastrophic if you forget and the can fills up (liquid ingest into cylinders).

Well, the deposits won't collect in your throttle body, and a 6% capture would not be compelling for me, to plumb in a catch can and add a routine of checking and emptying it. IN other words, 94% of the oil vapor and mist is making it to the valves. Even if the cans catch 10%, it's still 90% INEFFECTIVE.

As for "gunk" oil is the primary offender to capture to mitigate valve deposits, not the water (condensed vapor), which is largely neutral but constitutes the majority of these catch contents, that I've seen in these videos.

Now you have a hint why OEM's don't use or recommend them; ineffective (as we find them in the market today), require periodic emptying, and catastrophic if you forget and the can fills up (liquid ingest into cylinders).
I don't deny the validity in your argument. All I will say this mod is ALSO about personal preference. Some people willing to get a strut tower bar to reduce 1.59% flex. Is that "ineffective"? Yes, but let people decide.

2019 CX 5 Turbo, with Corksport OCC.

No regrets, I change oil myself about every 3500 mi (I'm extra and I do drive frequent, short trips less than 15-20 min, and usu very spiritedly). This is what I usually get from the OCC. 💯

Attachments

• 830186A8-F4D0-40EA-8AEF-8EFFB7D315B8.jpeg
    830186A8-F4D0-40EA-8AEF-8EFFB7D315B8.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 39
Back